Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neglected dog in 'horrific condition'

happycats
August 19th, 2009, 10:25 AM
This is just awful, and in my neck of the woods! They are looking for any info on who might be the "owner" .

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/682796

Animal cruelty officers anxious for answers after filthy, neglected chow found in Clarington

Aug 19, 2009 04:30 AM
Comments on this story (43)
Laurie Monsebraaten
Staff Reporter

Durham Humane Society officials are calling it one of the worst cases of animal cruelty they have seen.

They are offering a $1,500 reward for information leading to the conviction of the owner of a severely neglected dog picked up by animal control officers in Clarington near Rundle Rd. and Bloor St. Sunday night.

The emaciated male chow, estimated to be about 5 years old, has filthy, matted fur that has fallen off its face, which is oozing pus and dried blood. The dog's belly is covered in open sores and its nails are so overgrown they are curling back into the pads of its feet, causing more bleeding and infection, said animal cruelty investigator Debby Houghton.

"He's in horrific condition and in a lot of pain. It's pretty bad," she said.

"We see a lot of terrible things ... I've been doing this a long time and this particular case is quite disturbing."

The dog, dubbed "Phoenix" by humane society staff, is now under the care of a veterinarian who is running tests to determine the underlying cause of the animal's many infections. It could be an immune disorder, a skin parasite or a zinc deficiency, Houghton said.

"It's something that would have started out small, but if left (untreated) would have taken many months (of neglect) for this to have happened," she said.

"We won't know for a day or two what we're looking at. It's quite grave."

Although the dog was found in a resident's back yard, there is no evidence it has been living in the wild for any period of time, she noted.

"My hunch is that the dog just got out and wandered there. Or maybe he was in a car and somebody just booted him out and drove away."

diandpat
August 19th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Poor Baby...how can anyone let another living breathing being suffer like that???? Incredible :yell:

Arwen81
August 19th, 2009, 10:51 AM
This is so sad. :( Breaks my heart.

happycats
August 19th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I just hope they find the one/s responsible for this:evil:

kandy
August 20th, 2009, 03:36 PM
How horrible! I'll never understand how people can be that cruel. :sad: :cry:

CearaQC
August 20th, 2009, 03:39 PM
T
The dog, dubbed "Phoenix" by humane society staff

What a great name! I only hope they can help the dog so it will survive and live up to the name.

i.e. dying in the ashes of it's former self to be reborn anew

I hope they find who is responsible for the dog's condition.

Bailey_
August 20th, 2009, 03:40 PM
:wall::mad: This is disgusting! People are evil!!!!!!!!!!! That poor dog...:cry: