Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tell me if i'm wrong!

bbv
August 17th, 2004, 09:21 PM
During my search for a dog I noticed many ads say "no children under 10" or along those lines. And for some reason when I see that I get angry. I understand that some dogs will need alot of training than others or might be aggressive but there is more of those ads than ones that say good with children. As a mother I gave my daughter a puppy at 5 yrs. old and they have been best of friends now for 6 years. I grew up with a dog and so did my husband, I feel that growing up with animals are both very rewarding and a huge learning experience and I wouldn't want any other way.

I think I would rather see a loving family with children adopt these animals instead of letting them live in shelters for days, months or until you know what......

I even saw a rescue group advertise that it is there "policy" not to adopt to a family with children.

Now I may be totally in the wrong on this and if so can someone please maybe try and help me understand.

Thanks!

Writing4Fun
August 17th, 2004, 09:38 PM
In my search for a puppy, I saw those exact same ads and reacted the exact same way. :eek:

In defense of the rescues, I think some of them may be worried about people coming back to them saying "This dog you gave me just growled at my kid!". Not all children are as respectful towards animals as they should be, not all parents are as tolerant of an animal's instinctive reactions, and not all dogs react the same way in a cage as they do once they're comfortable in a family setting, making it difficult to "pin" their characters. I believe these rescues have had their fair share of bad experiences and are now reacting with a "cya" policy. :(

Luba
August 17th, 2004, 10:03 PM
There are many reasons, some of the dogs have been evaluated and may not do well with children. Others may be too small and small children may hurt the dog. Yet another reason is that people tend to feel overwhelmed with young children and a new dog/puppy thus returning the dog to shelter.

There are a variety of reasons.

I'd be very very cautious of ever adopting a dog out to folks with young kids as well. I've seen how horrible some kids can be with dogs and puppies and I've seen many of them get dumped after the novelty wears off and mom';s tired of doing all the work.

Lucky Rescue
August 17th, 2004, 11:33 PM
They do this for the protection of both dogs and kids. Many dogs are simply too big and exhuberant to be around toddlers or young children, as they can knock them down in their excitement. And rescues know that many times if this happens, the dog will be dumped.

One example is an Irish Wolfhound mix puppy (8 months old) I listed recently. It had been adopted and was being dumped by a couple who said it was "too big" and was knocking their child over.

This dog lost a second home because people don't seem to know that an Irish Wolfhound is a big dog and weren't willing to supervise more closely or train the dog.

Cactus Flower
August 18th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Oh Lucky do you have a picture of the Irish Wolfhound?? If you do, please please could I see it? They are such wonderful gentle dogs!

Lucky Rescue
August 18th, 2004, 10:49 AM
CF, here is a pic of "Bear"! He's gone to the wonderful home that he deserves.:)
Bear (http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2553473&adTarget=468petsgeneral&SessionID=41237b1e7b5206b6-app3&display=&preview=1&row=75&tmpl=petlistx.html&stat=)

Cactus Flower
August 18th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Oh what a handsome boy! Thank you for posting him. And here's a big cheer for him finding a home!

Enjolras
August 19th, 2004, 04:15 AM
as someone else posted...

some of the friendliest dogs are too big for kids.

my GSD can dang near knock you over just walking by...if she gets excited, she tries to 'pet' you back, and can scratch. i don't 'trust' her around kids or small dogs, because she doesn't realize that when she plays she can hurt people.

she certainly wouldn't mean to, but its and injury/lawsuit waiting to happen.

i've had a couple goldens who were the same way as puppies. when they grew up they were incredibly gentle (as i'm teaching/hoping my GSD will be).

at that point (especially at a kennel/rescue, where they are high strung as it is), some places just don't find it safe (or don't want to pay the insurance premiums for it!)

glasslass
August 19th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Toy breeds are sometimes too fragile for rough play with children, especially puppies. Those tiny bones can break if dropped.

mastifflover
August 19th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Your children might know how to act around a dog but in my experience most have not a clue nor do there parents. What parent lets a kid run up to a dog they do not know? Then let there kid hit the dog on the head or start screaming in that high pitched whine that makes me crazy let alone the poor dog who has no idea what is going on. My dog weighs 155 pounds and is extremely gentle but if some kid comes running up I say he is mean don't touch him I don't need a law suit or have a muzzle order or worse yet have my dog PTS because people do not teach there children pet safety. If a child comes over and asks to pat him I will allow it because my first clue that this child will be gentle is that he asked first and obviously been taught by someone to approach slowly and ask. A lot of rescues have been abused and will bite out of fear so when a child is screaming and running at them they are scared and might bite. These are just a couple of reasons and I can think of numerous others.

Writing4Fun
August 19th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Mastifflover, you're right. A lot parents have no clue. By the same token, there are some dog owners who have no clue. Some folks we know have a mid-sized dog - a few years old, neutered. They ALWAYS walk him off-leash. One night, we were all outside chatting with the neighbors. My 5yr old was running around (that's what 5yr olds do). These folks came onto MY driveway with their unleashed dog and started chatting. The dog started playfully chasing after my son, barking. After a few minutes, he started to get a little agressive. He was trying to grab my son's clothing and was growling. The owner - get this - got mad at my son for getting the dog excited!! Yes, some children need to learn how to approach a dog. IMHO, there are an equal number of dog owners who need to learn that it is not always the child's fault, and if their dog is not socialized with children, then it is THEIR responsibility to make sure it doesn't come into contact with any!!

Glasslass, I've seen first-hand how small dogs can be unintentionally hurt by children. It is heartbreaking (not to mention expensive!), and I always advise friends with children to consider one of the hardier breeds. But you know what they say about advice - the wise don't need it, and the fools won't heed it!

melanie
August 19th, 2004, 05:12 PM
as we have seen in this modern era, ppl will sue of they think you sneezed on them and they got a cold from you. so i totally support the shelters thaking this line, they have it hard enough without legal issues etc.
just imagine if someone took home a big dog that ate their child, and they sued the shelter for rehousing dangerous animals they know didnt suit children, legal nightmare if you ask me. this way they have covered their backside and are not endangering anyone

Spoiled
August 19th, 2004, 06:22 PM
A lot of dogs are fine with kids. I agree that the smaller dogs should not be given a home with little kids. I heard a story (true) that these people's dog jumped off the couch, landed wrong on his foot, and hurt himself bad. That was just from jumping off the couch. It was a tiny pomeranian, but still, if a dog can get hurt bad by a couch, then kids should not be playing with this dog.

Golden Retrievers and Labs are pretty bouncy, and even they will get excited around kids if not taught how to act.