Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bee....ware!

Dee-O-Gee
August 17th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum but here it goes!

Bee's nest in/on the chimney resulted in a near 100 bee's inside the house since Friday! :eek:

Chimney Sweep came yesterday and told us that we needed to extricate the bees and he would take care of the nest! :eek:

DH was going to climb up on the roof last evening but we all convinced him that it would be better if we had a professional come and do the removal. :lightbulb:

So here's our professional, a family friend who owns a spider/pest control business. He went on the roof with some kind of powdery spray canister and blasted the bad bees wearing only a t-shirt, shorts and sandals! :eek:

Assessing their "BEE-HAVIOR"

Applying powdery substance between bricks and ceramic flue.

You know what????? We haven't seen a bee (inside the house) all day! :clap: :clap:

While Bees are a great thing for pollinating plants and doing their jobs in most situations, they can or will become rather dangerous whereby it warrants a concern in emergency situations.

This is a bad time for bees and I just stumbled across this news article regarding yellow jackets which I found interesting given the time of year it is.

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1702657

Happy reading and hope this helps anyone else who is experiencing this unfortunate bad "Bee-havior." :sad:

Frenchy
August 17th, 2009, 09:06 PM
wearing only a t-shirt, shorts and sandals! :eek:

Brave guy , you should have seen what I was wearing for mine :laughing:

Dee-O-Gee
August 17th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Brave guy , you should have seen what I was wearing for mine :laughing:

I just did and commented! :D You look like such a super model! :thumbs up

Frenchy
August 17th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I just did and commented! :D You look like such a super model! :thumbs up

:laughing: I know , it's scary how I can look good in everything :laughing:

it sounds like your bee problem is a thing of the past :thumbs up

mollywog
August 17th, 2009, 09:12 PM
100 bees in your house!!? Oh my dog! :eek: How did Gryphon and Mollie react??

Glad to hear you have fixed the problem. oh, and cute house BTW! :thumbs up

Dee-O-Gee
August 17th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Well Mollywog...we soon discovered that they were eating most of the dead ones before we found out we had a problem. :eek:

FORTUNATELY, no one got stung and we "bee...gan" the monitoring and removal soon after we discovered the problem on Friday. :thumbs up

Another fire and the air conditioner battled it out last evening. :eek: We stoked a fire and our thermostat inside read 89 degrees with the central air fighting off the heat! :eek:

In any event, we've been BEE FREE all day today! :clap::clap: Thank Dawg!

hazelrunpack
August 17th, 2009, 09:37 PM
:fingerscr that that's the last of the chimney bees!!

Now, once the sweep gets the chimney clean, is there a way to prevent future infestations?

Dee-O-Gee
August 17th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Humph??? Good question Madame. We've lived in this house for 15 years and have never ran into this situation before. :frustrated:

I think that they're some kind a law where you cannot have any type of screening that less that so many centimetres in thickness/diameter. We have screening up there to keep birds and squirrels out, but I don't think there's anything as far as keeping these little critters out of the opening? :shrug:

The Chimney guy is coming tomorrow to sweep and repair our points and a couple bricks so we'll make sure to ask him if there's any new state-of-the-art technology that would prevent this from happening again. :thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
August 22nd, 2009, 03:04 AM
Oh My Goodness!...I would be running out of the house! I am scared to death of bees! I have been stung too many times.

I'm so glad u were able to get rid of them, but that would totally freak me out! *shudder*

Debbie