Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adoption Questions

katy82
August 17th, 2004, 06:07 PM
I've finally found a dog that I think I would like to adopt but I have never gone through the adoption process before. I've found the dog on the petfinder website (an AMAZING site!) and emailed the rescue group who currently has him. He's 5 years old and I'm just trying to make sure that I'm asking all the questions I should to get some background information on him. Any ideas as to what I should be asking. This is a big decision and I want to make sure I don't miss anything. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Lucky Rescue
August 17th, 2004, 08:27 PM
It's great you want to adopt a dog.:) For the rescue, it's more important that you give info about yourself first. Some have an online application you can fill out and send. Here's what you should be saying in an email:

Tell them where you live (house, rent,other)
If you rent, say that you will provide written proof that landlord allows pets.

What other pets you have had and what happened to them.

If dog will be indoor/outdoor dog - kennel/tie-out

Why are you interested in that particular dog and if you have had experience with dogs that size/breed.

IF you have a fenced in yard, and if not, how you will exercise the dog.

Then you can ask about the dog - if he is good with kids, cats, other dogs, other people. If he has any training and if he is housetrained. What is his personality - energetic, laid-back, protective, etc.

If you send an email like this, you are much more likely to get a quicker response. But be patient - often a rescue consists of just a few people who are often very busy with home, job, family and trying to save dogs.

Can you give us a link to the dog you are looking at?

katy82
August 17th, 2004, 08:36 PM
He's a yorky-pug mix (i call it a porky!!!). He just seems perfect for us. I just hope that the we get him!!! Here's the link:

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=3251919&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=4122a56e08551f8a-app2&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

Lucky Rescue
August 17th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Yogi Bear the Porky!! Oh, he is too cute. I hope you get him!:)

heeler's rock!
August 17th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Awwww!! He is adorable!!! Good luck with getting him and congrats on adopting! It is the most fulfilling experience to know that you are giving him some of the best years of his life!!! :D

Luba
August 17th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Very sweet indeed best of luck:D

glasslass
August 18th, 2004, 12:04 AM
What a cute little character! Looks like Mr. Personality! I hope you get him and keep us updated! :)

iRONKNiGHT
August 18th, 2004, 05:43 AM
My brother's got a yorkie..awesome doggie ..but i could never imagine'd a yorkie and pug mix... hope it does not hurt the dog.....cute dog tho..go for it!! you wont be disappointed :) nothing like a pet's love... :cool:

katy82
August 19th, 2004, 09:40 AM
I think Yogi has been adopted by someone else. :( I looked on the petfinder website this morning and he's not there anymore. The rescue organization hasn't gotten back to my emails either. I've very sad. I hope they let me know whats going on!

Luba
August 19th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Well then you'd best get looking some more :D

Keep trying!!

Spoiled
August 19th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Well, best of luck to find another. :)