Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to get rid of bee's nest

Frenchy
August 16th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I just found out why one stung me while I was mowing the loan last week ... I went in my shed and I can hear them buzzing in the wall (OMG they are a bunch !!!!) there's a hole for some wires to get to my house , they're at the bottom between the walls.

I read up on it , I don't have any products for it here but , I have read that , liquid soap mix with water works. I just have to do this at sun down , and cover up , entirely (which will make me have a heart attack because it's about + 35*C today)

so ... has anyone ever tried the liquid soap and water to kill bees ?

JanM
August 16th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I haven't tried that - but - it is so close to their swarming time that you might want to consider just waiting it out. After they swarm, you could then patch the hole where they went in. Just a thought..

Frenchy
August 16th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I haven't tried that - but - it is so close to their swarming time that you might want to consider just waiting it out. After they swarm, you could then patch the hole where they went in. Just a thought..

I have to do something tonight .... either I do the soap and water & patch the holes or , only patch the holes (there's 2) because I'm afraid the dogs will get stung. They go eat grass on the side of the shed , right under the hole :sad:

Dee-O-Gee
August 16th, 2009, 05:01 PM
We have the exact same problem right now Frenchy however; our bees built a nest in our chimney so they're flying all in our house! :eek:

Hubby just lite another fire to try and smoke them out, then he's planning to climb up on the roof and spray tonight! :pray:

Chimney guy came today and said for us to try and get most of them out and he's gonna come back tomorrow to sweep out the chimney!

:yell: :yell: :frustrated: :frustrated:

TacoGrl
August 16th, 2009, 06:59 PM
A baseball bat hit and run works best on the hives, as they chase you, DH can take the hive down and destroy it while you are running! However, because they are in the wall, this might not work very well. :D

I have never tried the soap and water thing, but smoke has always worked in the past for me. Now soap and water works on other pests...it is certainly worth a try...I would use something without the antibacterial additive though...the chemical might harm the bees...

Gail P
August 16th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I know the soapy water solution works when you put it in those wasp traps, but I've never tried it in the way you're suggesting. I think the soap has to coat the bees wings so you'd have to be sure you're really dousing them well. In that type of situation maybe a wasp/hornet spray like Raid or Black Flag might be more effective. Whatever you use, when you spray it in the hole be prepared for them to start coming out. If they're wetted down well though they won't likely be flying, they'll be crawling out the hole and falling down. We have so many wasps or hornets around here, they build nests everywhere. Every time I go to use my horse trailer I have to clean nests out, once there was one inside my barbecue when I lifted the lid, sometimes they start building in my daughter's playhouse, I recently found one inside a knocked over pylon in my field and I know there's one I need to deal with inside the box that protects my electric fencer. There are just so many. Oddly enough the dogs never seem to get stung. Oh, I've even had them building in the old car I used to have. Got to town once and they were clinging to the plastic mesh-y kind of stuff near the windshield wipers. I started looking and found that they had gone in the crack at the front of the passenger door and built a nest somewhere inside the body work or under the hood or something. :yell: Once in a while we also get the kind that nest in the ground, but not too often.

t.pettet
August 16th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I have successfully used a combination of equal amounts of javex, dish soap and hot water on wasps that had built a hive in a corner of my verandah. I sprayed late at night (10 p.m.) right into the hive when they were all in there and then covered the entrance with a piece of canvas from a tent, proped it in place with a 2 by 4. Next morning let the canvas drop and smashed the hive down - every wasp inside was dead. Got so sick of dogs and myself getting stung just for using the OUR verandah. Good luck Frenchy.

otter
August 16th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Eeeek, i'll have my fingers crossed for you Frenchy :fingerscr

Good luck, hope all goes well :thumbs up

(i've got a nest in the walls of my garage... but i'm just avoiding the place for now, hopefully they will leave on their own)

and for those of you with the more traditional hanging kinda nest... if you can hold out and wait for the bees to leave in the fall, leave the nest in place.. bees won't build a nest anywhere nearby (they are territorial). I have to laugh cause now I have dead nests on each side of my house.. guess they won't build a nest within sight of another :laughing:

Gail P
August 16th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Just a heads up, the ones that build the big paper nests don't necessarily abandon them in the winter. They can hibernate and continue to make the nest larger the next year. I remember once when I was a kid and I found a nest in the winter and thought it was really neat so I broke off the tree branch it was on and took it back to my cottage to keep. Once inside the warm cottage the nest started buzzing and we had to get rid of it in a big hurry :laughing:

hazelrunpack
August 16th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Frenchy, do you know if they are bees or hornets?

Frenchy
August 16th, 2009, 10:23 PM
A baseball bat hit and run works best on the hives, as they chase you, DH can take the hive down and destroy it while you are running! However, because they are in the wall, this might not work very well. :D

:laughing: too funny , don't worry , if I had a DH , he would be the one taking care of this one :cool:

I think the soap has to coat the bees wings

yes exactly :thumbs up

I sprayed late at night (10 p.m.)

I read that , had to do it late at night while they're all in there and kinda sleeping. For now , I just put tape on both holes (although it's an old shed , there's other holes) and will do the water and soap tomorrow night. Wearing an armure :laughing:

Frenchy, do you know if they are bees or hornets?

I'll go with bees Hazel because .... I don't know what hornets are :laughing:

no but really , they"re bees :p

otter
August 16th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Just a heads up, the ones that build the big paper nests don't necessarily abandon them in the winter. They can hibernate and continue to make the nest larger the next year. I remember once when I was a kid and I found a nest in the winter and thought it was really neat so I broke off the tree branch it was on and took it back to my cottage to keep. Once inside the warm cottage the nest started buzzing and we had to get rid of it in a big hurry :laughing:

Good point.. I think it gets cold enough here that they don't survive the winter but might not be so cold where others are

good think your new found "friends" started buzzing before they started escaping, could have been scary!:eek:

hazelrunpack
August 16th, 2009, 10:39 PM
When we redid the mud room, the contractor pulled down the old dry wall and found hive after hive between the dry wall and the outside wall...all empty, dried, and abandoned, thankfully. :eek:

Frenchy
August 16th, 2009, 10:42 PM
We used to find lots of them at our cottage when I was a kid but never since I've been here ! You should have heard the buzzing noise coming from the wall this afternoon ..... OYE ! Can't wait to get red of them !

JanM
August 17th, 2009, 10:21 AM
We used to find lots of them at our cottage when I was a kid but never since I've been here ! You should have heard the buzzing noise coming from the wall this afternoon ..... OYE ! Can't wait to get red of them !

Did you do anything last night? What happened????????

Dog Dancer
August 17th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Have you searched the internet or phone directories for a bee centre or club? Or called the fire department? If you called the fire department they sometimes have names of professional bee keepers who will come and remove nests for you. If they are bee's they will remove the colony and keep it, if it is wasps they will remove it and kill it most likely. I know our bee centre out here has a list of bee keepers who will do hive removals for you. Swarming is a spring event, not so much at this time of year. Soon the bee's will slow down their flights, but they can certainly keep their hive alive until next spring, especially if it's tucked into a wall somewhere. Wasps are very yellow and thin, honey bee's are not so bright a yellow and shorter and stubbier than wasps. You should also be able to find a provincial apiarist listed on the web who may be able to give you advice. Good luck to you. I have bee hives, but I don't want them nexting in my walls thanks, and I certainly don't want the wasp nests (those are the grey paper hanging type). I've never heard of the soap and water treatment by the way.

Frenchy
August 17th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Did you do anything last night? What happened????????

I only put tape but not enough , I saw 1 or 2 this morning , now they're about 5-6 outside near the shed so we're stuck inside :frustrated: I take only 2 dogs outside at a time and supervise so they won't get near.

I bought 3 bottles of liquid dish soap. The killing will take part around 9-10 pm :evil: and I can't wait !!!

I already have my outfit picked up .... thank dog neighbors can't see in my yard :laughing: I will be covered from head to toes , goggles and mask etc ...

crap , in these occasions , I really wish I had a bf , I rather have him do this :frustrated:

Frenchy
August 17th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Have you searched the internet or phone directories for a bee centre or club? Or called the fire department?

I live in the boonies , we don't even have a fire departement , only volunteers ... as for the beed club , I doubt there's one near here and I wouldn't want them to open the wall to get them. I rather kill them myself and I WILL ENJOY IT !!!!

Nobody lives on my land without paying rent :mad:

Frenchy
August 17th, 2009, 09:59 PM
ok , I did it , am still alive :laughing: no bees came out so I'm not sure if it worked ? :shrug:

to show you guys I can laugh at myself , here's what I looked like :laughing: I even had a lamp strapped to my forehead and tape on the bottom of my legs :laughing: omg I was dying of heat , it's about 30*C (humidex included)

aslan
August 17th, 2009, 10:05 PM
:laugh::laugh:oh baby you're sooooo sexy:flirt:

Dee-O-Gee
August 17th, 2009, 10:06 PM
OMG Frenchy! You look absolutely smashing in your digs! :D :D

Keeping the :fingerscr:fingerscr's crossed and hope your soap/water remedy worked! :thumbs up

Our bee extrication fortunately only cost us conversation and a couple beers! :D Gosh...I hope ours worked too! :pray:

Frenchy
August 17th, 2009, 10:07 PM
:laugh::laugh:oh baby you're sooooo sexy:flirt:

I could get the role for "My bloody Valentine" don't you think ? :lightbulb:

luckypenny
August 17th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Don't get changed yet Frenchy...wait for me...I'll pick you up on the way to the bank :laughing:....getting darned tired waiting for my lottery numbers to get picked :frustrated:.

Dee-O-Gee
August 17th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Oh btw...LOVE the little creepers (Nelly & Lucky) creeping in the mirror! :D :lovestruck:

Frenchy
August 17th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Don't get changed yet Frenchy...wait for me...I'll pick you up on the way to the bank :laughing:....getting darned tired waiting for my lottery numbers to get picked :frustrated:.

:laughing: I took the pic and changed asap , was dying of heat !!!

Nelly was freaking out when I came back in , I had to keep talking to her so she calmed down. :p Lucky was jumping all over me , really , NOT a guard dog :laughing:

babymomma
August 17th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Didnt read the thread yet.. Scanned down thru, saw the picture and got the sh!t scared out of me:frustrated:

YOu been in a movie before? Bretter sure Ive seen somobody like that on a horror film .. Not meant to be offensive. :o

mollywog
August 17th, 2009, 10:18 PM
:laughing: nice MJ meets psycho killer getup!! too funny!!! I am pretty sure Molly would have freaked out too if someone like that walked into her house! Good girl Nelly, watching over the place! ! :thumbs up

aslan
August 17th, 2009, 10:19 PM
lol, you're right BM she does kinda look like the killer from My Bloody Valentine.:laughing:

Frenchy
August 17th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Didnt read the thread yet.. Scanned down thru, saw the picture and got the sh!t scared out of me:frustrated:

:laughing:
Good girl Nelly, watching over the place! ! :thumbs up

yea right , she ran away with her tail between her legs :laughing:

I think I will open a profile on a date online website and put this picture :evil:

Frenchy
August 17th, 2009, 10:22 PM
lol, you're right BM she does kinda look like the killer from My Bloody Valentine.:laughing:

ahem , I'm the one who posted that :cool:

luckypenny
August 17th, 2009, 10:26 PM
YOu been in a movie before? Bretter sure Ive seen somobody like that on a horror film .. Not meant to be offensive. :o

She does dress like that occasionally bm :shrug:. She watches way too many horror flicks :laughing:.

Dee-O-Gee
August 17th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I think I will open a profile on a date online website and put this picture :evil:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

"Looking for a male, fun loving companion who enjoys pleasant walks funny conversations and overall appearance is not an issue." :D :D

Too funny Frenchy! :laughing:

otter
August 17th, 2009, 10:29 PM
You are the girl of my dreams :flirt:

and I got some bees who would like to meet you too :D

hazelrunpack
August 17th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Nice getup, Frenchy! :highfive: :laughing:

You've probably given Nelly nightmares for a month! :p

One suggestion, though--if you use a light, and you flush them from the hive, they'll home in on the light... So if you use one, use one that you can drop quickly :o

aslan
August 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM

no you didn't Frenchy babymomma did.:loser:

Magicwildwolf69
August 17th, 2009, 10:42 PM
oh Frenchy where have you been all my life.

:cloud9::laughing::p

Frenchy
August 17th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I could get the role for "My bloody Valentine" don't you think ? :lightbulb:

no you didn't Frenchy babymomma did.:loser:

nooooo U the :loser: http://bestsmileys.com/tongs/4.gif

Frenchy
August 17th, 2009, 10:51 PM
One suggestion, though--if you use a light, and you flush them from the hive, they'll home in on the light... So if you use one, use one that you can drop quickly :o

oh but I already did it :p I just had to put the light on because the only glasses I could wear were sunglasses and it was already dark outside :laughing:

hazelrunpack
August 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM
oh but I already did it :p I just had to put the light on because the only glasses I could wear were sunglasses and it was already dark outside :laughing:
You were lucky this time--they didn't swarm out at you. If they had, they would go directly for the light... :eek: We made that mistake with a hornet's nest once... :o

otter
August 17th, 2009, 11:10 PM
You were lucky this time--they didn't swarm out at you. If they had, they would go directly for the light... :eek: We made that mistake with a hornet's nest once... :o
:laughing: When they know the end is near they "fly into the light"

hazelrunpack
August 17th, 2009, 11:13 PM

Actually, we ended up doing most of the flying that night... :o A little screaming, too! :laugh:

Chris21711
August 18th, 2009, 11:12 AM
ok , I did it , am still alive :laughing: no bees came out so I'm not sure if it worked ? :shrug:

to show you guys I can laugh at myself , here's what I looked like :laughing: I even had a lamp strapped to my forehead and tape on the bottom of my legs :laughing: omg I was dying of heat , it's about 30*C (humidex included)

You are Priceless Frenchy 56753

14+kitties
August 18th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Aww Frenchy, I hope your bee solution worked! I can't see you getting all dolled up in that getup again unless they are willing to pay you to do it! At least not in this heat. http://bestsmileys.com/hot/3.gif