Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

clear liquid discharge in kitten

jbostian
August 16th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I have a female kitten named Muffy who is approx 12 weeks old. Recently my husband brought home a much older male cat. It seems like ever since a week ago when this new cat entered the home, my kitten has had extreme diarihia. The this morning she began to leak a lot of clear fluid from her anus. I was wondering could this new cat be linked to my Muffy's recent health problems and if she needs to go to the vet.

-Jesse

allfurlove
August 16th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Yes, you should take her to the vet asap, and I do think it could be the older cat. Is he vaccinated? A stray? He could be carrying something but not show any symptoms and pass it on to the kitten whose immune system is weaker.

allfurlove
August 16th, 2009, 12:44 PM
If you can, bring some of her poop for them to test.

jbostian
August 16th, 2009, 01:48 PM
The people that we got Herb (the male cat) from said that he had all of his shots, but you can never really tell how much truth that is because they did not include his records. Thanks for the reply.

Dr Lee
August 16th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I don't know that we can say that the new cat is the culprit. Young kittens often have a variety of causes for diarrhea including parasites, like coccidia. These parasites will often be present for a while before any clinical signs occur. Viruses and bacteria can also be causes.

I agree with allfurlove that a veterinary visit and a fecal test of the kitten are good ideas. Young kittens can become dehydrated easily.

You might also want to have the new cat's feces tested. For a healthy indoor only adult cat - parasites and viral diseases are less common, but not by any means impossible. Although looking at risks, the 3 month old kitten (if not previously dewormed) is more likely to be a source of a contagious disease.

Until you can see a vet, making sure that the kitten is eating and drinking is important. Dehydration is again, the biggest concern and cause for diarrhea to be come life threatening.

Best of luck. :pawprint:

jbostian
August 17th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Thank you so much for the reply Dr. It is so nice that you would donate your time and advice to a free site like this, and I do truly appreciate your time and you opinion.