Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Okay, this is the last straw. I'm taking a break from internet dating.

ancientgirl
August 15th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I went out last night with my best pal and some of her co-workers. We had a really wonderful time, and when I got home I wanted to my Facebook. I'm playing Farmville, so I had to gather some crops. While I was on the computer I checked my email and I'd received an email on one of the sites I'm on.

I went to the site and opened the email. This is what it said:

Hi, I liked your profile :)

I'm allergic to cats :(

I don't suppose a barbeque for them would be accepted lol.

Okay, WTH? Did I understand this the wrong way or was this guy trying to be funny and suggest barbecuing my cats?

krdahmer
August 15th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Either way, not worth a reply.... :rolleyes::eek: Man, some people!

14+kitties
August 15th, 2009, 06:42 PM
:loser: Not worth your time.

ancientgirl
August 15th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I've just had it. I'm a :loser: magnet! I think I just need to step away from this, at least for a while. I'm just going to concentrate on myself and getting healthy.

TacoGrl
August 15th, 2009, 07:03 PM
C'mon...he's a keeper! No spelling errors...proper grammar...hard to find a single man like that now days! :evil:

I so totally hear you on the taking a break and working on yourself thing...I too am in that boat and you know what? When we are finished, we will be two hot mommas and the losers will be too intimidated to even approach us, much less think they have any chance of us diggin' them! :thumbs up

I think I have you beat this week though in the loser dept. I posted on CL, yes I asked for it :rolleyes: and received an e-mail from this guy. I e-mailed him back and we got to e-chatting...seemed like a nice fella...seemed to say all the right stuff...he gave me his phone number, so I called it last night...just kept ringing...no answering machine...I blocked my number "just in case" :rolleyes: and am glad I did cuz I saw his pic today on another city's CL saying what a crook he was, he used women's numbers for long distance charges and that he has been in prison!!! :eek:

My angel was looking out for me with that one! :highfive:

Yes, AG, I think it is time we both just work on ourselves to rid us of whatever it is that is attracting these losers. :frustrated:

otter
August 15th, 2009, 07:05 PM
..... and people wonder why I don't bother with relationships :laughing:

Sigh, lots of idiots to pan through before you find the gold eh?:sad:

But don't close your eyes ancientgirl... sometimes the good ones can be right under your nose (but notice, you can't see what is right under your nose without looking in the mirror :D) Be good to yourself and maybe it will attract someone who wants to be good to you :shrug:

ancientgirl
August 15th, 2009, 07:19 PM
TacoGrl, last week I blocked yet another guy from my email. He seemed to really have a good head on his shoulders. of course, I did a little investigation, since I knew his real name and found out he owned a strip club in California LOL. Um...no thanks.

Otter, nope, I'm not totally closing my eyes, but I've just decided not to actively look. Not for a while at least.

pattymac
August 15th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Hehe I used to go on Lavalife and stuff...I gave up a long time ago. I figure that maybe if I can go to some Obedience trials and maybe some Schutzhund stuff them maybe find the kind of guy that would be worth spending some effort on!!

ancientgirl
August 15th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Pattymac, that sounds like a good idea.

onster
August 15th, 2009, 07:28 PM
holy crap TG...what's CL tho? :o

AG..that's just...insane. I mean honestly !?!?? what kind of reply was he expecting??!

TacoGrl
August 15th, 2009, 07:33 PM
holy crap TG...what's CL tho? :o

Craigslist :o

I have met a few nice people there buying/selling...but obviously not dating!

onster
August 15th, 2009, 07:40 PM
aaaa okay..lol ok ya seriously was there not that pyschopath killer on CL a while ago?? staaay awaaaay :eek:

ancientgirl
August 15th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Onster, I can only imagine he was trying to be funny, but if he read my profile like he said, he'd know my cats are very important to me. So, why make such a joke?:clown:

Frenchy
August 15th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Okay, WTH? Did I understand this the wrong way or was this guy trying to be funny and suggest barbecuing my cats?

I would reply : " yes why don't you come by for a BBQ , I seem to have no small weiners here ...."

:D

lUvMyLaB<3
August 15th, 2009, 10:36 PM
hahahahahaha thats funny! About the dating. . You always find em when you are not looking, and you both will too! Promise!. And the small weiner guy is not him!

Shaykeija
August 15th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I would reply : " yes why don't you come by for a BBQ , I seem to have no small weiners here ...."

I damn near choked..LMAO:laughing::D

Sylvie
August 16th, 2009, 07:55 AM
AG, you did the right thing by ignoring him, although Frenchys advice cracked me up:laughing::laughing:, it was something I would say.

It is sad to say that some people just don't have a life. There are jerks everywhere. :yuck:

CearaQC
August 16th, 2009, 08:11 AM

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

:evil:

I think it's because

A. Where you live. Miami is full of rich people and party people. Those who are mostly interested in the fast lane type lifestyle. A friend of mine who's a real estate broker used to live in Miami but got out of there real fast because he had the same problem and couldn't find a nice girl and now lives in Arizona.

B. The internet really isn't the best place to find a guy. Some people get lucky, but overall I see mostly perversion and crazies online.

You need to get out more and mingle. Volunteer at your local community centers, or Chamber of Commerce functions. I told you this before but I don't think it sunk in. You can meet a lot of nice people that way. The Chamber always needs volunteers for fundraising events or general help with meetings and such. And don't forget organizations like the symphony and/or ballet companies. They always have the need for volunteers. I used to work for a Chamber of Commerce with a Downtown Revitalization program. We were always looking for volunteers. Some of the coolest people I ever met were those you would never expect a friendship with in a million years. I met artists, musicians, eccentric people, rich people, world travelers, scholars, etc. Working there really changed my perceptions of people and toned down my prejudices a lot. Plus I got to hear so many funny stories and adventures. So many people are misunderstood and are the diamonds in the rough. It only takes a bit of time to get to know them and then you're pleasantly surprised. Don't judge a book by its cover.

If you want a smart, sensitive, stable, loving guy you need to go where they are.

And don't be an open book. If you spew everything about you, especially online, then you will attract the losers and pervs. The best thing any woman can do is have a bit of mystery to keep the interest going. Don't call them. Make them call you. Don't talk about your cats right away. Some may pre judge you and think you're the future crazy cat lady. To most unenlightened people, multiple cats usually equates in their mind with a messy smelly house and cat puke/hair balls on the pillowcase. I know you're not that way and you are very clean, tidy person. But a stranger on the internet will mostly assume the negative.

Also your life needs to feel complete even without a guy. If a man senses desperation either he will take advantage or run away screaming. In my experience men respect a woman who's confident and views relationships as icing on the cake, and not a necessity for happiness. It's not fair to expect others to make us happy. We should be happy whether we are in a relationship or not.

diandpat
August 16th, 2009, 08:21 AM

OMG You are sooooooooooo funny lady!!!!

I am sure that would work AG!

People :clown: those sites just like this one to stir stuff up. It is not personal...they are very sad and lonely and have nothing better to do!

mollywog
August 16th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Ceara you did provide some good (albeit blunt) advice (you're a tough nut, aren't you!!) :laughing

AG I just wanted to say hang in there! Take care of yourself, be happy on your own, and poof, the right guy will come along when you are least expecting it!! I know that's what a lot of people say but that's how DH and I met!

BenMax
August 16th, 2009, 09:02 AM

:laughing::laughing::laughing: - Nice Frenchy! Love that one! :laughing:

ancientgirl
August 16th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Frenchy, you are a nut. :laughing:

CearaQC, thanks for the advice, but I'm not expecting to meet the man of my dreams on the internet. My profile on these sites is pretty upfront. Any guy who senses desperation from my description of what I'm looking for is obviously not reading my profile. As for moving just so I can find a guy, I think that in itself is a pretty desperate move. I have my family and friends here, my job is here. I'm not uprooting myself just to find a man. I was hoping though to at least meet someone to maybe go out with now and then, enjoy a movie, some dinner, that's pretty much it. If something developed fine, if not then that would be fine too.

On a side note, as I stated above, I do appreciate the advice, but perhaps next time you might think about choosing your words a little differently. I told you this before but I don't think it sunk in. I'm 42, not 14.

dollface
August 18th, 2009, 03:03 PM
And don't be an open book. If you spew everything about you, especially online, then you will attract the losers and pervs. The best thing any woman can do is have a bit of mystery to keep the interest going. Don't call them. Make them call you.

QFT and do I detect a fellow rules girl? :thumbs up

AncientGirl, if you are interested in some light reading I suggest these :) :

http://www.therulesbook.com/bookstore.html
Why Men Love B!tches (http://www.amazon.com/Why-Men-Love-Bitches-Relationship/dp/1580627560/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250625670&sr=8-1)
Why Men Marry B!tches (http://www.amazon.com/Why-Men-Marry-Bitches-Winning/dp/B002ECEEFE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250625670&sr=8-2)

I've found my dream guy with these books. Maybe you will too :) ;)