Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Working with animals....

friend2animals
August 15th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Hi everyone,

I am looking for an opportunity to work with animals in a rural/outdoor setting. I am hoping that someone here may know of places/organizations, or privately run facilities in Ontario, Canada that focus on this sort of work. Sometimes these places are not advertised in mainstream venues.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated! :lightbulb:

Gail P
August 15th, 2009, 03:45 PM
There's a wildlife rehab center somewhere up near Rosseau. Can't remember if it's the same one or a different one but there's one place called Aspen Valley Wildlife Sanctuary I believe. Or, if you're wanting to work with more domestic animals in a rural setting what about exploring farmwork, or dogsled tour kennels or even volunteering at some dogsled races. They can always use extra hands, especially setting up for the races. :)

friend2animals
August 15th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Thanx Gail! :thumbs up

I will check out your suggestions:)

Tundra_Queen
August 15th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Hi
I don't know if this is what u mean, but how about walking dogs from a Humane Society or shelter?

Debbie

Gail P
August 15th, 2009, 07:40 PM
If the idea of working with sled dogs intrigues you at all let me know. I can point you in the right direction to make a lot of contacts.

friend2animals
August 16th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Hi Debbie,

Thanx for your idea, but I have already worked in shelters extensively, and I am looking for alternatives.:)

friend2animals
August 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Hi Gail,

Interestingly enough, I actually have practical experience with sled-dogs, as I have run teams before - for recreation only, not competitively. This idea does intrigue me, and I am willing and happy to do a lot of driving/commuting, even relocate, if there was a real chance for me to become part of this kind of activity. This includes the potential for paid work as well!:thumbs up

P.S. [I live in Southern Ontario]

Gail P
August 16th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Hi Gail,

Interestingly enough, I actually have practical experience with sled-dogs, as I have run teams before - for recreation only, not competitively. This idea does intrigue me, and I am willing and happy to do a lot of driving/commuting, even relocate, if there was a real chance for me to become part of this kind of activity. This includes the potential for paid work as well!:thumbs up

P.S. [I live in Southern Ontario]

Go to http://www.sleddogcentral.com and check out the classified ads, under Help/Handlers wanted. A lot of the ads there are international, many in Alaska or up north in the Yukon but occasionally there are some closer to home. Last year Winterdance was advertising for help on there, they're in Haliburton. Also I saw an ad on the Skidogs forum last year looking for help in Almonte (out near Ottawa). One great way to make connections with more local kennels would be to get out to the races and talk to mushers. The schedule for our area is not yet posted on SDC, but if you check back later it will be updated (under Race info). Some of the races are already listed on the Ontario Federation of Sleddog Sports site at http://www.ofss.ca I'll be racing in the 4 mile sprints at Marmora (Jan. 30-31), Kearney (Feb. 6-7), Haliburton (Feb. 13-14), Cannington (Feb. 20-21) and Apsley (Feb. 27). I don't know if it's full yet or not, or if you have to be an OFSS member to attend but Ray and Janice Erker (Paws-e-Trax kennel) are hosting a 2 day "meet and greet" clinic coming up in September where they're having Lance Mackey (multiple Yukon Quest and Iditarod champion) there to speak, plus day 2 is for doing dryland training runs. There is information about that on the OFSS site.

On the SDC main page there is also a link to kennels, it might not hurt to even email them and ask if they're looking for any help. And/or sign up to the SDC Talk forum and get to know people.

Oh, also here is a link to a list of tour operators that you might want to talk to: http://www.winter-vacations-ontario.com/dog-sledding-tours.html This is an old list though, some of them are no longer offering tours. I know that Beaver Creek Farm and Kennels is out of it, as is Trail Dancer, though he still races and builds dogboxes, just doesn't offer the tours anymore. Chocpaw, Highland Wilderness, Windrift and Winterdance are all still in operation. The others that are listed I don't know, so I'm not sure. If you talk to any of them and they don't need help they may be able to put you in touch with someone who does.