Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Awful (and disgusting) dog park experience

jazzy
August 13th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Hi, all. Raging here.

I just took my little 4 month old pup to the dog park. There were two dogs playing in the pond, and one other with an older man and little boy. So instead of playing, Jack and I just walked around so he could run freely.

After our first lap of the park, the dog with the old man and boy started playing ball. Jack decided to greet him. It went well. Then Jack decided to incite play. To this, the other dog simply responded by....lifting his leg and peeing on my dogs face.

!

Why? The old man and the boy just laughed and said how funny and cute it was. I was so shocked I couldn't say anything. I took Jack and rinsed his face off as best as I could, then rushed him home for a bath.

Why did that dog do that? And how on earth is that funny?

Also, are there any health issues I should be considering here?

BenMax
August 13th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Jazzy, that is what happens in dog parks. Sometimes I even get pee'd on. I don't think that it is as horrible as all that.

The other dog was just maybe marking which is not unusual but it happened on your dog.

Why is it funny - well I guess only they can tell you where they found the humour. I know if my dog pee's on someone's shoe or I get pee'd on - everyone laughs because it's just a hazard.

There will be no medical implications to this so don't worry.

Your dog park story is not horrific as there were no injuries or nasty situations. Just hurt egos.

sugarcatmom
August 13th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I was scared to open this post cause I thought it was going to be about some horrible mauling or dog fight or other catastrophe. Phew, just some pee! Ya, don't sweat the small stuff.... ;) I got peed on by a male Akita at a dog show once. But I laughed. He must have thought my scent needed covering up. :laughing:

Bailey_
August 13th, 2009, 02:34 PM
As BenMax already explained, no harmful germs can be transferred through dogs peeing on one another.

Often times at the dog park, your pup will come away with all sorts of different dog fluids on them. I still remember my labradoodles first trip to the dogpark this past winter; by the time we left, she was COVERED in dog slobber (and who knows what else) - and her fur literally froze and stood on end. We quickly took her home and gave her a warm bath, but she was happy as a clam!

Getting peed on, you or your dog, is just one of the normal things that happens at the park. I personally have never been bothered by it. Even when dogs don't mean to pee on one another, sometimes the smaller dog can just get in the way while investigating. It's normal, they are animals, and it happens.

Even if you don't like it, just try not to let it worry you or bother you. Your puppy will be fine, and when he's older, he'll most likely pee on another dog too. ;)

BenMax
August 13th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I was scared to open this post cause I thought it was going to be about some horrible mauling or dog fight or other catastrophe. Phew, just some pee! Ya, don't sweat the small stuff.... ;) I got peed on by a male Akita at a dog show once. But I laughed. He must have thought my scent needed covering up. :laughing:

Oh good Sugarcatmom - I thought I was the only pee tree around.:)

BenMax
August 13th, 2009, 02:40 PM
:offtopic: but still on - I would like to share a personal DP story that happened to me personally at a DP:

I was bending down to pick up doggie poop when a DDB came out of no where and tried to 'dominate' me sort of speak....(you know what I mean). I could NOT get a 140 lbs dog off me and I was sprawled in the middle of the dog park being humped with enthusiasm. Not only was the dog park full but it was so darn funny that I was laughing so hard (and so was everyone else) I couldn't move. Seriously it was embarassing but at the same time extremely funny (even for me). Thank dawg this did not make it to utube!:laughing:

I am certain it's still talked about ...and laughed about. This is just the way of the dog park kingdom. As long as no one or anything gets hurt - it's all just fun and games really.

hazelrunpack
August 13th, 2009, 02:47 PM
jazzy, as long as your pup is utd on shots, he should be just fine.

Dogs pee on each other all the time--I just had to clean up Ridge because she decided to get between Brier and the garden wall he was peeing on :rolleyes: For them, urine is more of a communication substance than something disgusting. Humans, of course, often think differently. :D

rainbow
August 13th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Yep, it happens all the time and nothing to be concerned about. :D

:offtopic: but still on - I would like to share a personal DP story that happened to me personally at a DP:

I was bending down to pick up doggie poop when a DDB came out of no where and tried to 'dominate' me sort of speak....(you know what I mean). I could NOT get a 140 lbs dog off me and I was sprawled in the middle of the dog park being humped with enthusiasm. Not only was the dog park full but it was so darn funny that I was laughing so hard (and so was everyone else) I couldn't move. Seriously it was embarassing but at the same time extremely funny (even for me). Thank dawg this did not make it to utube!:laughing:

I am certain it's still talked about ...and laughed about. This is just the way of the dog park kingdom. As long as no one or anything gets hurt - it's all just fun and games really.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Maybe it just hasn't made it to U-Tube yet. :D

free
August 13th, 2009, 03:57 PM
my sister has 2 dogs and if you don't watch the younger one he humps the older dog and then pees on him. all in normal fun.

pattymac
August 13th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Yup, been peed on too, by a big male Rottie!! His owner was very apologetic, I just moved. Shhhh BenMax, don't give anybody any ideas!!!

Oh ya, dog spit so nice, especially in the winter, you kind of forget it till you get home and it thaws out and your dog is all slimey and smelly!

BenMax
August 13th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Yup, been peed on too, by a big male Rottie!! His owner was very apologetic, I just moved. Shhhh BenMax, don't give anybody any ideas!!!

Oh ya, dog spit so nice, especially in the winter, you kind of forget it till you get home and it thaws out and your dog is all slimey and smelly!

I would track Rainbow down and I would have a 140 lbs companion with me.:D

Chaser
August 13th, 2009, 06:40 PM
While maybe it was a bit rude of the onlookers to laugh, the peeing is a normal thing for sure! I've been peed on, as have been both my dogs. Lots of times while my male is peeing my female goes over to sniff and he pees on her head. :shrug: It's no big deal for them, and all you can really do is laugh and clean them up!

Smiley14
August 13th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Wow, I must be lucky! My three don't pee on each other and I've never been peed on at the dog park in the 10 years I've been going to them! Sorry that happened though, I agree with you, even though it's normal, it would gross me out too! I must not be domineering enough for the other dogs at the park to want to bother with me. ;)

jazzy
August 13th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Hm, maybe I overreacted.

I just thought it was so nasty when Jack then wanted to play with me with his peed on face. So yucky. I know that dogs view scents differently than humans do, but no way do I want some stranger's dog pee all over me.

Shaykeija
August 13th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Yep, when Sir Quincy came home the first time, he peed on Tyra. The princess was not amused by the golden shower....:laughing:

Tundra_Queen
August 13th, 2009, 08:56 PM

:offtopic::sorry: ROTFLMBO BenMax now THAT could have won u money on America Funniest Home videos! :laughing::laughing: I'm so glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that as it would of been all over my monitor!! LOL

Debbie

maneater
August 13th, 2009, 09:18 PM
being peed on isn't horriable. MY dogs get so excited to go to the dog park that when my hunny tried to get them out of the car he got peed on when he picked them up. Personally I wouldn't take my puppies to the dog park until their are finished all their shots.

2Tollerz
August 13th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's hard not to be irritated at such an incident, but it happens pretty often at dog parks. The same thing just about happened to Dance yesterday as well.

MIA
August 13th, 2009, 10:47 PM
My friends Rottie used to pee on me all the time, I figured it was his way of telling me I was his, and ALL HIS!!! :laughing: Life's too short, one must laugh at the gross stuff too.

Gail P
August 13th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Wow, you guys and your dogs seem to have had a lot of incidences of getting peed on and seem pretty tolerant about it all. I guess I don't get out enough to know what's accepted as "normal" dog behaviour in that kind of setting. I've never gone to a dog park. My pack of 8 dogs (7 males) don't pee on each other and if they tried peeing on somebody out in public I'd be mortified and just about die of embarrassment :eek: :o I mean we teach our dogs not to jump on strangers that we meet but it's okay to pee on them? :shrug: I don't get that at all. I can see if one dog sticks their nose in the way sniffing and gets sprinkled but that's accidental on the part of the dog that's peeing. Personally I wouldn't want to have to go home from the park and bathe my dog(s), myself and wash my clothes just because I went to the park.

Chaser
August 13th, 2009, 11:17 PM
In a way it's a compliment: "You don't smell so good....let me spray you a bit to cover that up...." :laughing:

:sorry: I suppose it shouldn't be funny, but it happens! It's usually just on another dog's leg or something.....but is very unfortunate for small breeds/puppies because they get doused....

Fortunately Chase has never done it, except by accident to his sister (and me). A mix of dogs who are unfamiliar with each other just seems to bring out marking behaviour :shrug: Last weekend at Toonces' house Petey never peed ON Chase, but he spent the whole weekend peeing wherever Chase had gone and tried hs hardest to cover up Chase's scent. A pack that is well established wouldn't do that.

Golden Girls
August 14th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I'm pretty clueless about dogs but I'd just like to say I too have been pee'd on, worse then that by a dog that was abused and starved and I fed him daily sooooo the only conclusion I came too was I wasn't respected :o more like owned lol

Your post made me laugh but the situation isn't funny and rude of them to laugh. I think the dog did that because he knew he could, kinda like a dominant thing :shrug:

maneater
August 14th, 2009, 11:11 AM
the only thing my dogs get to pee on is ants and grass. But we went to the park and they have this water stream area and I keep my dogs on leash that hooks their harnesses together and then I only have one lead to walk them. well my one dog decided that he wanted to go swimming and my other dog hates water so as we were walking by he booked it into the water and she had no choice but to go swimming! We don't have an "official" dog park here but dog owners have kind of adopted an island type thing off a public park as an dog area and their has never ever been any trouble or incidents. We tried for ever to get an official dog park but all of out city councellors are dog haters. but that is a whole new thread.

Masha
August 14th, 2009, 11:55 AM
When out guy was little and i used to take him to the dog park I got peed on several times. I just laughed it off - its just dogs beeing dogs... the owners did act very apologetic though, but i told them not to worry.... i came prepared with my 'dog park pants'

My guy was never peed on but after every dog park he would be soaked and covered with drool from other dogs... it would sometiems freeze into drollsicles :)

i dont know but to me this is a bit funny.... no one tried to cause offence... just dogs being silly and free... if i were at a dog park and my guy got peed on, i probably would laugh it off :)

BenMax
August 14th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Just a note. If you do go to dog parks, ensure that your dogs are fully vaccinated. The pee is not the problem but poop can be along with parasites and diseases. Ensure that your pet is as safe as possible for anything that can be transmitted. Also, ensure to get intra nasal bordatella. This is necessary for kennel cough which is common.

These are the things to really watch out for. The pee thing is minor but I understand that it's a pain to wash your dog after. It is a very minor hazard, but behaviour and health issues are things that should take presidence.

kiara
August 16th, 2009, 12:55 PM
No health issues to be considered. It could have been a lot worse, blood could have been drawn! It takes a lot of different types of people to make this world and these people have no respect for others. Teaching his grandson to laugh at the wrong things, while an apology would have been in line. This dog probably pees on people, dogs and inside his home. Since this behviour has not been corrected, it still continues! I am not a dog owner at this time, but I can imagine that there are a lot of different types of incidences at dog parks happening all the time. Don't let small upsets get you down.