Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need help...on behalf of friend

NoahGrey
August 12th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Hey,

My friend called me this morning really upset. She is taking a vet tech program and was excepted into the progam months ago. She called to find out why her schedule has not been posted online yet.

They look into and and state that she needs to get her grade 12 math. She can either take the math testing and pass the test and start in the fall or fail the test and take the math upgrade course from Sept to Dec and start the Vet tech program in January.

She is pretty pissed and emotional about the HUGE messup. She feels that since it is their error, they should extempt her and let her start into the program in the fall. Now she has to scrabble to get her math before Sept 8th. Or start her program in the winter. One of the reasons that she is upset is that because now she has received her OSAP funding on the basis of her budget from Sept to April. She is also worried about the test, because she has not been in school in over 10 years. She needs time to prepare.

Now, that she might have to start in January, she will need more funding, since she already has a place up there, for the fall. She also aruged with them that she quit her job, sold her condo and rented a place for school..due to the fact that she was accepted into the program for the fall. Now, she is paying for their mistake.

I told her to go to the registars office and fight it. What does everyone think? How would you handle this situtation, if you were in her shoes?

Thanks,

ACO22

Love4himies
August 12th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I would talk to both the Registrar and the Program department Head. If she is not satisfied, then go up to the VP of Academics.

I would advise her to make a promise to complete the math as she is doing her first year.

NoahGrey
August 12th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Hi love4himies,

She did ask to do a grade 12 math on top of her courses and they told her that she needed it before the first day of class. Either in the fall or winter term.

ACO22

Love4himies
August 12th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Does she have her acceptance papers that state she is to start in Sep? My whole background is in post secondary education and yes, mistakes are made, but the college normally steps up to the plate, especially if she has it in writing.

And tell her to talk to the Department Head/Dean, not the clerks.

TacoGrl
August 12th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Another vote for talking to the Dean...the clerks generally tend to stick to the rules and really don't have the authority to bypass them. I returned as an adult student too and the math test wasn't all that hard...the english and comp tests were a breeze, but that was Mount Royal College (they do have BAs, but still a college), so maybe University is different :shrug:

The Dean should be able to figure something out...most schools are flexible with adult students.

NoahGrey
August 12th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Does she have her acceptance papers that state she is to start in Sep? My whole background is in post secondary education and yes, mistakes are made, but the college normally steps up to the plate, especially if she has it in writing.

And tell her to talk to the Department Head/Dean, not the clerks.

Yes, it was a letter from the president accepting and confirming her into the program for the fall. When she faxed it too them, they stated that it was just a letter welcoming her to the program, but on the condition she get her math. But it doesn't say it in the letter. Cause it says it in the letter that she never received. I like, don't you think that the condition would be in the "welcoming" letter, experically since it was from the president of the college.

We met for coffee today and I mentioned, what if you didn't even bother with your timetable and just went to class the first day, what would they have said.

ACO22

Love4himies
August 12th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Talk to the dean, he/she won't want to embarrass the college.

Love4himies
August 12th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Another vote for talking to the Dean...the clerks generally tend to stick to the rules and really don't have the authority to bypass them. I returned as an adult student too and the math test wasn't all that hard...the english and comp tests were a breeze, but that was Mount Royal College (they do have BAs, but still a college), so maybe University is different :shrug:

The Dean should be able to figure something out...most schools are flexible with adult students.

You are right, the only person who can change the rules is the Dean or Principal.

onster
August 13th, 2009, 09:48 AM
tricky. I hope the dean will be reasonable and let her in anyway.

The only thing is, they might say that it's her responsibility to know what the program requirements. I was just going through that whole application process and i remember reading that it was my respobsility to ensure they recieved all the papars, that I had the requirements etc etc...

The situation really sucks tho

onster
August 13th, 2009, 09:56 AM
That being said, they usually mention conditions in the letter of acceptance. Did she recieve only one letter, from the president?

I remember when I applied to UW (6 yrs ago), I got an official letter of acceptance from the registrar (where they talked bout conditions- like my grades not falling below certain level) and another welcoming letter from the pres?

Love4himies
August 13th, 2009, 10:28 AM
They should not have accepted her unless all conditions were met, or in the processes of being met. Like you for instance, Onster, you were in the process of finishing all the prerequisites for your program. If this person was not in the process of taking gr 12 math, then she shouldn't have been accepted.

You are right, there should be 2 letters, but the welcoming letter should come after the official acceptance from the registrar.

I am not familiar with the new rules of OSAP, but I find it hard to believe that you can get the money without proof of acceptance :shrug:

NoahGrey
August 13th, 2009, 10:32 AM
The only thing is received is the letter from the president.

She faxed me the letter, here is the first paragragh

Dear ___

Thank you for choosing Sheridan College. I am very pleased that you have confirmed your acceptance to the Veterinary Technician Program starting 2009 Fall. No were in the letter, does it state any conditions on getting her grade 12 math. The rest of the letter just states that she will receive a fee notification package reagarding tutition and fee deadlines.

Seems to me she has been accepted and it is being confirmed.

I am not familiar with the new rules of OSAP, but I find it hard to believe that you can get the money without proof of acceptance :shrug:

I agree. She had to show proof when she went to sign her documents for OSAP. And this was the letter that she showed to the Finical Aid depart.

ACO22

Love4himies
August 13th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Hmmmmm, she didn't get anything from the registrar's office? I wonder if there was a mistake and she shouldn't have received the letter from the President?

onster
August 13th, 2009, 11:03 AM
hmmmm see that to me is very very weird.

Because it says u have confirmed ure acceptance..so where is the letter that said she got accepted in the first place?? thats the letter that would say the conditions. Like l4H said u get the letter from registrar, u accept or decline, and if u accept the pres sends u a letter like the above.

I mean, was that the first correspondence she recieved? If so definately a mistake because how would she confirm acceptance if she didnt even know she was accepted?

The only thing i can thing of is if she saw her acceptance online before a registrar letter was sent and accepted her acceptance right away. Then registrar letter was either lost in the mail or not sent making the confirmation of acceptance by the pres the first letter she recieved.

Hope im making sense.

NoahGrey
August 13th, 2009, 11:07 AM
She confirmed her acceptance through the OCAS site. You either had a confirm or a decline for whatever school she had applied too. and she clicked on confirm for Sheridan College....meaning she had confirmed her acceptance into the program.

I also think it is wierd. I think the school messed up and now won't budge, when it is there fault.

ACO22

onster
August 13th, 2009, 11:10 AM
They should not have accepted her unless all conditions were met, or in the processes of being met. Like you for instance, Onster, you were in the process of finishing all the prerequisites for your program. If this person was not in the process of taking gr 12 math, then she shouldn't have been accepted.

You are right, there should be 2 letters, but the welcoming letter should come after the official acceptance from the registrar.

i see what u mean but it all lies in the crucial letter from the registrar. She could have very well been accepted with the condition she complete grade 12 math before sep.

As for OSAP I have no idea. but I imagine u would show osap ppl the president letter rather than registrar letter. The reason being the registrar letter is "youve been accepted..now accpet or decline" whereas president is "uve accepted, welcome"....but i could be completely off lol

onster
August 13th, 2009, 11:11 AM
She confirmed her acceptance through the OCAS site. You either had a confirm or a decline for whatever school she had applied too. and she clicked on confirm for Sheridan College....meaning she had confirmed her acceptance into the program.

I also think it is wierd. I think the school messed up and now won't budge, when it is there fault.

ACO22

Ah i see...so its a case of letter not sent by registrar/lost in mail.

Entirely not ure friends fault in that case.

oh..i just remembered somthing. On the site when u accpet/decline..isnt there like fine print if u could call it that, that says that u will be recieving letter in the mail outling conditions if any? I think there is, at least in my case there was,,maybe in the FAQ? I remember because i got my accpetance online first but i saw that lil blurb somehwere and waited for my registrar letter before i confirmed. I ended up not havng any conditions but waited just in case.

Its still clearly registrars fault for not sending the letter, but im just bringing up all the possible arguements they may have just so that ure friend is prepared.

Love4himies
August 13th, 2009, 11:19 AM
i see what u mean but it all lies in the crucial letter from the registrar. She could have very well been accepted with the condition she complete grade 12 math before sep.

As for OSAP I have no idea. but I imagine u would show osap ppl the president letter rather than registrar letter. The reason being the registrar letter is "youve been accepted..now accpet or decline" whereas president is "uve accepted, welcome"....but i could be completely off lol

I think that is a bit risky if she never even started it, unlike your situation, where not only have you started the prerequistes, you have provided your mark history too.

Please keep us updated Aco22, I am very interested to find out the outcome. I still think she should have a meeting with the Dean and/or VP Academics.

onster
August 13th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I think that is a bit risky if she never even started it, unlike your situation, where not only have you started the prerequistes, you have provided your mark history too.
yeah for sure..i agree with u it would be odd..but like i said i really am just trying to think of the possibilities so ACO's friend can be prepared for counter arguements if any
Please keep us updated Aco22, I am very interested to find out the outcome. I still think she should have a meeting with the Dean and/or VP Academics.

Yes please, do. I agree also with def visiting Dean.

Best of luck :goodvibes:

NoahGrey
August 13th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Hey guys,

Well, it seems that even though it was the colleges fault to accept into the program without her having all of the requirements, It seems that if she doesn't pass the test, she will have to take the sept-dec math upgrade and start the program in January.

She is still pretty upset. Now, she already is renting a place up there..so she is debating on increasing her OSAP loan, by like 5 thousand dollars and move up there still in Sept (so she doesn't lose her apartment) She will need to increase, since now she will be up there longer then she thought. Anyone know if this is even possible? Her mom says no, that OSAP will not increase her loan, for only one class.

Her mom wants her to stay here and upgrade. She has been aruging with her mom, saying that she feels it would be better to move still in September. Then she can settle in, make friends before school starts, and honestly who wants to move in the dead of winter???

Her mom is aruging that she will be only doing one class up there and it is pointless.

What does everyone think? Should she move up there or just move in Januruay. If she moves in Jan, that means that she has too look of for a new place and who knows if one will come up?

ACO22

Love4himies
August 13th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I would fight it with the college, unless there is something that she isn't telling you. Has she talked to the President?

NoahGrey
August 13th, 2009, 08:08 PM
No, my friend wouldn't lie. The seem to be disorganized. SHe talked to the records department and she said that only the head of the program can make change, She has talked to the Head of the program, and he states that only the dean can makes changes. So she left a message with her (on vacation till the 24th), so she left a message with the EX on request from the deans voicemail.

Has not heard anything yet. She then called the admissions depart and they said that ONLY the manger of Admissions can make changes. And she says that she has to get her math.

They said that they mailed out her letter of acceptance from the registars office, but my friend never received. Must have got lost in the mail. They kept on saying, we sent it out too you, and never got it returned....while she never even got it.

What are you thoughts on her spending another $5000 lets say and move up there still in Sept. That way she keeeps her place, makes friends before school and will be settled in. And really moving in the winter. I am telling her to go, while her mom and others are telling her to stay.

I had to laugh, I was telling her yeah, these people who are saying don't leave until Dec, will be cussing themselves then they have to move you in the dead of Winter in -30 degree weather.

ACO22