Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Will they still get along?

onster
August 12th, 2009, 09:16 AM
So my official start date for my lease is Sep1, but scl starts sep 10 so I dont think ill officially move in till maybe the 9th or something.

Here's the thing, I think i will end up taking only Bunduk because my mom wants the company of a cat as well (also she is worried my appartment is too small for the two + my ashtma & allergies).

The only thing is, I worry then about reintroducing that cats to eachother (when I come home for extended period of time or when they eventually both live together again). Do you think it'll be an all out cat war as if theyve never seen eachother? Or can I be hopeful/ perhaps naiive and assume all will be fine and dandy?

Keep in mind I never really did a proper intro with them when Bunduk was a kitten. We just let him out of the carrier and Onnie followed him around a lot, no hissing at all from either. Then Onnie kept trying to suffocate bunduk :rolleyes: who at that time was sooo tiny it freaked me out. I kept bunduk in my room for a few days but then let him out and a few hours later they were sleeping on the same bed. My point is Onnie is not agressive (at least not in a hissy growly way) towards other kitties. Bunduk did find his hiss at catnap cottages tho and Ive heard him hiss at cats outside from his window perch..so i dunno. I hope he doesnt treat Onnie as just 'any other cat' if I seperate them :shrug:

Thoughts?

Love4himies
August 12th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Of course you never can predict an animal's reaction, but I would say they will remember each other so I don't think there will be a problem when you return home.

Chris21711
August 12th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Being a somewhat naive or stoooopid person.....we have never done intros when bringing a new pet into the home....we have just brought them home with a "this is where you live now" kind of attitude....I'm guessing we have been lucky and never had ANY issues at all.

I think that they will probably be curious about each other and maybe the odd hiss here and there could occur, but other than that, I don't think that there will be any problem Onster.....cats ain't stupid, unlike myself :laughing:

onster
August 12th, 2009, 09:29 AM
thanks guys, that makes me feel better. Thing is ive heard of one cat going to a vet then when it comes back the other kitties give it a hard time cuz it smells different. So I figured it might be the same sorta thing? Tho when bunduk came back from neuter Onnie didnt bat an eyelid, even with the e-collar.

Plus God knows after a few months away from me they acted like they didnt know who I was :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And I also worry bout Bunduk being lonely during the day when Im at school :sad: I hope im not being selfish wanting him with me...but he really is super attached to me :shrug:

Chris21711
August 12th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Stop your worrying Onster...one thing at a time...believe me all will be well :)

edwina
August 12th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Maybe you could take a towel or small blanket or something and get a good amount of smell on it from Onnie and take it with you. That way Bunduk has the smell around and will remember the smell when he comes back home. :shrug: You could do the same thing to Bunduk for Onnie. :shrug:

Love4himies
August 12th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Good idea, Edwina :thumbs up

ancientgirl
August 12th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I can only guess they would remember each others scents. Does that mean we won't be getting pictures of Onnie?:sad:

onster
August 12th, 2009, 11:34 PM
what a great idea, thanks edwina.

Chris, ill try not to worry lol

AG, no of course u will still get pics of Onnie..when he cooperates on weekends :D Actually i dont think ill take bunduk with me till after ramadan (starts on the 22 aug till aprox 22 sep) since ill be fasting and pretty darn exhausted. Ill prob move him in after so things are more settled.