Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My back-garden growing crazily

chico2
August 9th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I don't know why,but this year my back-garden is on steroids:laughing:
I am going to have one heck of a job splitting and rehoming lots of plants next spring.
Everything is a total mess,I cant even walk between the plants anymore.

My Butterfly Bush is 7 feet tall:yell:

chico2
August 9th, 2009, 04:12 PM
More..crazy stuff:laughing:

chico2
August 9th, 2009, 04:15 PM
One from my front,the Rose of Sharon is very pretty,a double white flower.
Tons of Cone-Flowers..

chico2
August 9th, 2009, 04:17 PM
This one I am not sure what it is??? I have one blue and one white one,,
Experts,please??

otter
August 9th, 2009, 04:17 PM
OMG it all looks sooooooooooooooooo lovely :thumbs up The bees and butterflies must be in heaven.

I think all this rain and cooler weather has suited our native plants just fine. I know my weeds have been very productive this year. Sadly, no flowers here yet, we haven't seen enough sun I think, or maybe they need heat :shrug:

chico2
August 9th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Otter,I think even here everything was a bit delayed,but boy,when things got growing:laughing:
I still have my Hibiscus and another tall flower I don't know what it is,to bloom.
You must be living way up north..

otter
August 9th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Otter,I think even here everything was a bit delayed,but boy,when things got growing:laughing:
I still have my Hibiscus and another tall flower I don't know what it is,to bloom.
You must be living way up north..
just sort of north... but from waaaaaaaaaaaaay down south there it probably seems waaaaaaaaaaaaay up north :laughing:
So far I only have Daisys, button flower and lillies in flower. My black eyed susans have taken over the lawn, but no flowers yet, I think it will be beautiful if they ever do flower.
I bet the Hibiscus is missing the heat!

Sigh, I remember being down in the city one day at the end of May... wondering if I should be getting an air conditioner to keep Nolie cool this summmer. It was super hot then (30C) and she was sooooo unhappy. :laughing::laughing: The thing would still be in the box if I bought it!

Anyways, your gardens are AMAZING!!!! and I absolutely love the lushness of all that crazy growth

(sorry i'm not much help on plant id though)

CearaQC
August 9th, 2009, 05:03 PM
That's not :crazy:.

That's heaven!

hazelrunpack
August 9th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Beautiful, chico! Just beautiful :cloud9:

Your mystery plant...do the flowers look like this close up?

If so, it's lobelia...but I'm not sure of the variety. I've got some in my garden, too, from the last owner. It just began to bloom this past week. I see hummingbirds at it now and then. :D

mollywog
August 9th, 2009, 08:08 PM
just beautiful! So lush and full and colourful... well done :thumbs up

Winston
August 9th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Chico gorgeous as usual! I know what you mean about having a ton of plants! I just dug up a red coral bell and there are now 25 coral bells in pots inthe yard! Oh OH I would love to have some of your seeds from the double white rose of sharon please please! its gorgeous! my garden is a disaster this year...lots of growth but unable to take care of it! :sad:

chico2
August 10th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Sure Winston,it is very pretty,not the regular kind with red in the middle,looks more like a Rose.
I must have over a hundred buds on it.

I am not that up on seeds,but I suppose it's after the flower blooms.
Maybe there is a way to start it from a cutting??

Hazel,yes that's it,a Lobelia,I am sure I asked last year and forgot,now I am writing things down:laughing:
It is a very busy plant,popping up in two more places,one is white and I know I did not buy a white one:shrug:

hazelrunpack
August 10th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Lobelias seem to commonly have recessive white genes. If a seed combines two of them by chance, the plant that grows is white :shrug: I've had that happen in the past, too. Pretty neat! Something new every year! :thumbs up

14+kitties
August 10th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Beautiful gardens chico! Just beautiful. :cloud9:

chico2
August 10th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Would you believe I just bought a 4 foot Red Hibiscus at Costco today(only $9,99),hubby has to get digging and enlarge that garden:laughing:
14+,next spring,I am going to have to split a lot of plants and have nowhere to put them,but you have lots of room,right;)

Dee-O-Gee
August 10th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Well I think the steroid contributing factor could be all this darn rain! :yell::yell:

My gardens are also thriving and have over shot themselves as well. Haven't had to lift the garden hose off the holder yet this summer! :eek:

14+kitties
August 10th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Would you believe I just bought a 4 foot Red Hibiscus at Costco today(only $9,99),hubby has to get digging and enlarge that garden:laughing:
14+,next spring,I am going to have to split a lot of plants and have nowhere to put them,but you have lots of room,right;)

:D :thumbs up You betcha'!

The Rose of Sharon - you can leave a few dead flowers on in a spot where you don't notice them. (I know you like to deadhead) It takes a while for the seeds to develop. I would think a good month after the flower is gone. Sometimes more. Cuttings are possible as well but it's the wrong time of the year. Generally they are more successful with new growth in the spring.

Tundra_Queen
August 23rd, 2009, 04:25 AM
chico, your gardens with all those flowers are just lovely!

I love purple coneflowers. Mine died over the winter, too wet I guess in the spot I planted it in. So I will be growing more from seed next spring and I have the perfect place to put it. I just have to get rid of a rose bush! LOL

Debbie

chico2
August 23rd, 2009, 08:04 AM
Thank's everyone:grouphug:
14+,I tried not to deadhead the white Rose of Sharon,but when the flower is done,it falls off.
Will it go to seeds if I just put them in a dry spot???

14+kitties
August 23rd, 2009, 08:07 AM
Thank's everyone:grouphug:
14+,I tried not to deadhead the white Rose of Sharon,but when the flower is done,it falls off.
Will it go to seeds if I just put them in a dry spot???

It's ok for the flower to drop off. It's the actual spot where the flower was that you need. Maybe the week after next I will pop over on my day off. I can show you what I mean.

aslan
August 23rd, 2009, 08:38 AM
wow your garden has gone crazy. I think its the weird weather we're having too. I planted gladeola's (sp?). I thought they weren't going to flower. Surprise surprise 4 of the plants have buds and one is actually opening. Even my roses have gone nuts.

chico2
August 23rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
14+,it would be great if you could come over and give me some pointers.
Today I was going to do some trimming,but most of the plants reach up to my waist,the one butter-fly bush is about 7 feet tall,but loaded with blooms.

Aslan,my roses in the front have a fungus,still get pretty roses,but the leafs are falling off:sad:
I've seen a lot of Gladiolas blooming in the neighbor-hood.