Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

3rd dog fatality by wolf prompts warning

mollywog
August 8th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Can you even IMAGINE how scary this would be.... and the dog was about the same size as Molly :eek: :sad:

This was in today's issue of the Chronicle Journal (http://www.chroniclejournal.com/top_story.php?id=203920)(Thunder Bay's newspaper)

A third wolf attack on a dog in as many weeks in Northwestern Ontario has resulted in the death of a Marathon pooch.
Local resident Robert Martel was walking with his two grandsons and two dogs last week near Carden Cove, about two kilometres from the town, when a wolf attacked his mixed-breed dog, Taylor.
Martel told The Chronicle-Journal Friday that he was walking along the Lake Superior shoreline when he heard a yelp and then, the two dogs ran out of the bush followed by a large timber wolf.
The dogs and wolf were between the Martel threesome and their truck.
“I had a walking stick and was about to help the dogs, but couldn‘t because I felt there may be a pack,” he said, of the danger to his grandchildren and himself.
“I managed to call back my son‘s dog,” he said. But the wolf and Taylor continued past the truck and into the bush, back towards town.
With his grandkids safely back in the truck, Martel followed his pet and wolf tracks up a road leading away from the beach.
“I thought she might be able to outrun the wolf, but . . . ”
That‘s when he saw the wolf, about twice the size of his 37-pound pet, shaking Taylor violently. “Then, it just dropped her and walked off,” he said, noting that if he hadn‘t been there the wolf would have probably eaten his pet of three years.
It first appeared that Taylor wasn‘t badly hurt, just a few cuts and bruises. But, he said, on the way to a Thunder Bay veterinarian, Taylor passed away on the seat beside him near the town of Red Rock.
Martel said that one of his grandson‘s is now afraid to go into the bush.
Because Carden Cove is a popular spot to walk dogs, provincial police and the Ministry of Natural Resources are warning people about wolves in the area and to take precautions.
“You definitely want to be carrying a walking stick for protection, or some kind of bear spray in that area,” Martel added.
The attack last Thursday came less than a week after a timber wolf attacked a dog being walked by a Terrace Bay woman on Worthington Bay Road.
While that dog suffered only minor injuries, a miniature dachshund was killed by a timber wolf in the Northern Lights Lake area on July 11.
Meanwhile, OPP are reminding residents and tourists to think “safety first” when hiking in the region.
“Be aware of the area you‘re hiking in and the challenges that you may encounter” as there are many wild animals in the area such as black bears and wolves, police said, noting that having the right equipment, combined with good judgment are essential for a safe and enjoyable hiking trip.
They recommend people never hike alone, make noise and stay alert while walking on a bush trail, and always keep children in sight at all times and pets leashed to avoid an unwanted encounter with a wild animal.
The ministry says that the region‘s wolf population is increasing along with its prey, the white-tailed deer herd.

pattymac
August 8th, 2009, 04:59 PM
OK glad I read that, depending if I go out west along Lake Superior I thought Bayley would really enjoy checking out the beaches in the Prov Parks along Superior on the way. Ok scrap that idea!! We'll take the northern route...less hills anyway!!

NoahGrey
August 8th, 2009, 05:00 PM
RIP Taylor. This is an unfortnate situation that happened and another reasons why dogs should be leashed when out walking.

RIP Taylor.

ACO22

mollywog
August 8th, 2009, 05:04 PM
OK glad I read that, depending if I go out west along Lake Superior I thought Bayley would really enjoy checking out the beaches in the Prov Parks along Superior on the way. Ok scrap that idea!! We'll take the northern route...less hills anyway!!

aww don't let this discourage you.... the route along the North Shore is absolutely BEAUTIFUL... just keep Bayley on a leash during your pit stops.

pattymac
August 8th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Well that's true..she does have her long line that I can use. I love that area along Superior. Heeh my first trip driving out west, coming home through there, it was soooo hot, my poor first car got a vapour lock, it wasn't fuel injected. Fortunately we managed to get to one of those touristy trading post stores to let it cool down. Gotta love Montreal Hill!!

hazelrunpack
August 8th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Yes, I can certainly imagine how scary that must be! :eek: We can often hear wolves--there are three packs in the area.

This year there have been 10 dog deaths in WI due to wolves, and 8 other dogs injured. Three of the most recent deaths were in our county.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
August 9th, 2009, 04:40 AM
RIP, Taylor. Shame your owners didn't think of leashing you.

It sounds callous of me, I know, but I'm fed up people freak out over wild animals/other dogs and pull out the "they need to be culled"/"those dogs should be banned" cards instead of using their heads. I hope the wolves aren't killed.

hazelrunpack
August 9th, 2009, 01:20 PM
The wolves here are still protected and will not be killed. Nor do I think they should be killed when they are interacting with other animals close to their dens. Unfortunately, though, because they are totally protected, they haven't been educated to stay away from human activities. As the wolf population grows, this is setting up our wolves for failure. Having no fear of humans is an accident waiting to happen. What happens when a wolf takes a child?

I wish the Fish and Wildlife Service and the WI DNR would undertake an operation to instill a little caution into WI wolves. You can do it in a nonlethal way. If they don't do it, I'm afraid eventually there will be an incident that will spur support for lethal means of control. :shrug:

amaya
August 10th, 2009, 12:46 PM
There are wolves living all around, as well as bears. I had a nuisance bear problem, had them on my porch even. Now we have cougar sightings. They scare me more as they are very prey driven.

Still I am against hunting them. We are in their territory, displacing them and gobbling up more and more of their habitat. I don't want my animals killed, or my child for that matter. We have to learn to co-exist.