Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Big Move!!

pattymac
August 8th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Now I have an idea of how to contain the cats on the long trip west. I have 2 large dog crates, one's wire and the other is a vari-kennel. Both are Bayley's so they fit a 70 lb dog. I'm thinking to put Bobee and Coco together in the wire one and Nino can have the other, more cave-like. Of course everybody will be wearing harnesses. I can cover the wire one, if that makes them more comfie and feel more safe.

Does anyone know of anything I can give them to keep them calm, I know there's Dr. Bach's, just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions. I'd rather stay away from chemical tranquilizers.

Bayley loves to travel so she's not an issue. I have her travel crate too, so if I need to crate her then I have it.

14+kitties
August 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Are you planning on stopping overnights? You will need to find places that are pet friendly along the way. If you are using crates you will also have to be very careful about moving the cats from the crate in the vehicle to your rooms. They will be spooked enough without extra things. If you can transfer them into their carriers before opening the doors of the vehicle it would be a lot safer IMO.
Unless they are bad travellers I wouldn't give them anything. Make sure they haven't eaten just before getting on the road. Motion sickness affects pets too.
Sounds like an exciting time for everyone. :thumbs up Good luck.

pattymac
August 9th, 2009, 01:16 PM
There will likely be at least one overnight. I think I will have a regular type van for moving stuff, so it won't be too hard to leash everyone up and take them out. I think with Nino, I'll just move him in his crate, as it has a handle.

Tundra_Queen
August 10th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Patty where are u moving to? Is it far away?

Maybe u could spray Feliway in the carrier 30 minutes before u put them in, that might calm them down a bit and covering them up so they can't see might keep them calm too.

Debbie

pattymac
August 11th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Oh ya it's big, when I make up my mind to do something I go big!! Saskatchewan..heheh I can even spell it! I got Nino the most amazing thing today and it's working, it's a Sargeants Goodbehaviour collar and OMG I should have found when I first brought him home from Lorraines!! So for the trip, everyone is getting one!! I think I may get the dog one for Bayley too.

Love4himies
August 11th, 2009, 08:07 AM
If you are moving to Saskatchewan, you may want to plan for 2-3 nights. It is about 36 hours of straight driving, depending on construction and traffic. ;)

I am not a fan of sedatives, it has been my experience that my cat was much better off without them.

pattymac
August 11th, 2009, 09:36 AM
No sedatives, it uses pheremones and lavender and chamomile. I was skeptical but OMG this thing does work! He's pretty much a different kitty! Still a bit of twitching but since he's been pretty stressed for 2 months now I can imagine it'll take him a while to completely let go of all his stress