Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I don't know how to handle this cancer dx

defender
August 6th, 2009, 06:59 PM
UPDATE:

I can't believe this but it's not cancer after all! lol We are so, so happy!!! I feel like we really dodged a bullet. I don't know if that first biopsy was just plain wrong or if this outcome was somewhere on their list of possibilities. I know it wasn't high. The vet was very pessimistic. She thought it was very likely to be mast cell. I feel so lucky! :D

Thank you all for talking me through it!

I just did not see this coming AT ALL. He has seemed so healthy. The likelihood is that it's a mast cell tumor and it's on his mouth, which is a location where they are more likely to end badly. So, I have been going back and forth between feeling total dispair and completely blocking it out of my mind. I have a six year old son who we haven't told yet, so I'm pretending everything's ok.

Anyway, I'm so worried about what it's going to be like as time passes. I just know that it will be heartbreaking to see him after his surgery tomorrow and then what if he's in pain later. I just can't stand the thought of any of it.

Btw, he is a ten year old dog, so maybe this is just the natural course of things. But I'm really hating it.

hazelrunpack
August 6th, 2009, 08:23 PM
It can seem overwhelming, defender :grouphug: Take a deep breath and consider, though:

You don't know yet what you're dealing with--maybe it won't be a mast cell tumor, maybe it will--but until you know for sure, try not to fret about it.

Even if it is a mast cell tumor, your dog won't know it. Dogs have an amazing ability to take life as it comes and wait for things to get better. He's going to be busy living. Your job will be to help him live his remaining days to the fullest. And that's really no different than what your job would be if he doesn't have a mast cell tumor. :grouphug:

Both of you will take things a day at a time and go from there.

And always keep in mind that you might win a battle here and there, but you can never win the war--death is inevitable for all living things. So focus on this battle and do what you can to win it, always remembering that each moment is precious. And when the Time comes, as it will eventually, regardless of the diagnosis, embrace the moment and give him the greatest gift of all--easing his passing. Time bestows the gift of their love, then takes it in the passing...we never have enough time with them. :grouphug:

But for the immediate battle, he should come home with pain meds that will help him through the healing. He'll probably need to be in an Elizabethan collar for a few days so that he can't scratch at the wound. But he should recover nicely in a couple of weeks and still be with you to make some more memories.

Think positively and stay cheerful--he'll pick up on your mood. He wouldn't want to cause you unhappiness.

You're in my thoughts and prayers, defender. We're here if you need to rant, cry, vent, or if you just need a hug. Most of the members on the board can relate to what you're going through and we're here for you!

defender
August 7th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Even if it is a mast cell tumor, your dog won't know it. Dogs have an amazing ability to take life as it comes and wait for things to get better. He's going to be busy living. Your job will be to help him live his remaining days to the fullest. And that's really no different than what your job would be if he doesn't have a mast cell tumor. :grouphug:

Thank you! I found this especially helpful and it rings true.

He had his surgery today and is home and I am very happy to report that he's not disfigured. lol I wasn't worried about his appearance, but I was afraid that he'd be missing a chunk of his lip and that that would make it hard to do things he loves to do, like chew. But, his lip looks totally intact. I would hate for the removal of the tumor to leave him feeling less than whole, yk? But I think in a few days he will feel totally recovered from that part of it. The vet said he could go for a walk tomorrow morning.

She said we would get the biopsy results thursday or friday, so I'll be holding my breath till then. :fingerscr

Frenchy
August 7th, 2009, 10:10 PM

so true Hazel !

defender , I know it's hard but , wait for the results. If it's not good news , we will be here to help you through this ok ? Keep us posted and , good luck :fingerscr

:grouphug:

hazelrunpack
August 7th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I'm glad the surgery went to so well! :goodvibes:

Now comes the waiting :rolleyes: I've always found the waiting for results to be the hardest thing... :grouphug:

Keep us posted on his progress, k? We'll be worrying otherwise... :o

Smiley14
August 7th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Hazel's words are beautiful and so very true. I battled cancer with my Billy, so I understand. So glad to hear the surgery went well and sending out good thoughts and prayers for good news on the biopsy! :grouphug:

defender
August 12th, 2009, 02:45 PM
UPDATE IN op! :D

Love4himies
August 12th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Wahoo, you must be so relieved now. :highfive:. Isn't waiting so unbearable :yell: :frustrated:

hazelrunpack
August 12th, 2009, 03:44 PM
omg, I'm so happy for you!!!! :grouphug: What a wonderful update!!!!! :highfive: :grouphug:

kandy
August 13th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Awesome news!!!!! :) You must be so relieved!

rainbow
August 13th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Glad to hear the great news. :highfive: