Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scary Dogs

moontamara
August 16th, 2004, 07:12 PM
My mom's neighbours have a fenced in yard with two very vicious large dogs running around in it. They can't seem to get out because the fence is very high, but if you walk by (on the public sidewalk) they run as fast as they can and try to jump over, all the while snarling. It's AWFUL to be that person walking by the fence. As much as I love dogs, the last time I was there I seriously thought to myself, "even I could poison these dogs." Is it terrible for me to think that way? The thing is, it is possible they could get out some day, or the owner could neglect to latch the gate properly, and my mother or some other innocent human (and pets are at a danger too) or even a child(!) could be seriously wounded or killed by these scary dogs.

Yes, I know it isn't the dogs' fault -- the owner is definitely encouraging this behaviour. I'm not sure what he's protecting, but that's what he's using his dogs for.

But short of poisoning these poor, vicious creatures (which I guess I would never do, and would be more dangerous anyway because the owner is obviously the REAL vicious creature) what can we do? Is he breaking any laws? My mom lives in Florida, if that helps at all...

Anyone else have experience with unnecessarily terrifying guard dogs? What did you do?

Just as a side note, for anyone reading this who doesn't know me, I'm a dog lover, and would NEVER have dreamed of hurting ANY animal, until I had the living SH*& scared out of me numerous times by these two dogs. I honestly believe they are very very dangerous.

Lucky Rescue
August 16th, 2004, 07:31 PM
I know exactly what you mean! There are two large dogs behind a very low fence where I often walk my dog. They stand up and hang over the fence to bark and growl insanely at us when we pass!

It's possible these dogs near your mom are not vicious at all,(some dogs do this only behind a fence - "fence aggression") but I'm sure she doesn't want to find out!

Most places have laws on how vicious dogs must be contained. If your mother feels these dogs are a threat, she should call AC, or the police.

Cactus Flower
August 17th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Wow Moon, your Mom and my Mom had practically the same problem!

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6304&highlight=pitbull%2Fboxer

moontamara
August 17th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Lucky, it seems there is nothing illegal about what he's doing. I hope you're right and these dogs aren't as vicious as they are acting. Hard to say though. As you probably could tell, I needed to rant a bit. Thanks for understanding!

Cactus Flower,

How did I miss that post? Great story! The man who owns the dogs I'm talking about would be very upset if anyone tried to make friends with them, unfortunately! He might just be scarier than his dogs! But lovely and cute story!

chico2
August 17th, 2004, 07:19 AM
My across-the-street neighbor has a big strong rottweiler,he seems to get a big kick out of scaring the living daylight out of people.He's behind a high wirefence,runs from side to side,even attempts to get over the fence.He does not growl or bark,but looks really threatening..
I know Boss is a "good"dog,behaves like a big cuddlebug,I've known him since puppy-hood and he probably :confused: would not attack anyone.
But I don't blame people for quickening their steps passing by his house :D

glasslass
August 17th, 2004, 10:01 PM
This really hits home since it was the neighbor's dogs that came through the fence after Den-Den. But you know? The dogs next door never seemed aggressive. I really believe that it was the influence of the friend's dogs they were keeping that started the trouble. I know they still have 2 dogs over there, 1 pit and 1 bordercollie-X, it looks like. There hasn't been any trouble since. And, believe me, I keep checking. Trouble comes when you least expect it. I would be terrified if the dogs started trying to get OVER the fence!

chico2
August 18th, 2004, 06:59 AM
GlassLass,I can completely understand your fear,I cannot imagine anything worse than seeing your dog/cat in the jaws of a crazed animal,luckily DenDen survived :mad:
The problem with Boss scaring pedestrians is gone,since Boss is gone :(
The owner has his house for sale and I don't know what happened to Boss,he was not neutered and the owner tells me he(Boss) is having fun,having sex :mad: I don't know what he means and I hate to even think of the possibilities,so I asked no more questions....
It amazes me,how shortlived the"love"for an animal can be for sooo many people...
Boss was the rottie,who desperatly dragged his older female buddy,after she had died from a heartattack.I so hope he's ok,wherever he is :(