Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Mystery of the Black Cats

14+kitties
August 6th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I "think" I have figured out the mystery of where the newest members of my clan came from.
I was talking to our new neighbour last night. Of course the conversation turned to cats. I asked if he had any. He said he had one but she ran away shortly after they moved in. She had been a barn cat kept by the old owner.
He then told me that the person who rents one of his barns for horses had got a black cat last year to kill the mice in the barn. It stayed for a couple of days and disappeared. Cat #1. Then about 4 or 5 months ago she decided she would get another cat. Yep, #2. He only stayed for a few days and he left too. She wanted the cats to kill the mice. She wasn't planning on fixing them or feeding them any other food. :wall: I don't know about people sometimes!!
I don't think she's replaced either one yet but suspect if she does I will end up with another intact male who won't stay where she wants him to! :wall:

Tomorrow I pick up a mother cat with a ten week old kitten. She may have a home with our new neighbour. He is also looking for a barn cat and this one is living outside and has for quite some time. Of course before she goes to him she will be fixed. I suspect she is already pregnant. The lady told me there was an orange cat around her place last week.

When will people learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yell:

ancientgirl
August 6th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Wonderful.:frustrated: I get sometimes like I just want to disappear and never hear again about the stupidity of people when it comes to animals.:grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
August 7th, 2009, 01:21 AM
:rolleyes: Did you mention to him that you are now footing the bill for feeding & caring for these cats and had to replace a fence portion in the process since the cats were obviously not getting enough/or anything to eat in the barn :wall: and that maybe this neighbour & his renter should give up on the barn cat idea :fingerscr

14+kitties
August 7th, 2009, 07:31 AM
:rolleyes: Did you mention to him that you are now footing the bill for feeding & caring for these cats and had to replace a fence portion in the process since the cats were obviously not getting enough/or anything to eat in the barn :wall: and that maybe this neighbour & his renter should give up on the barn cat idea :fingerscr

I told him under no circumstances is she to expect she will get these cats back. I said they would be getting fixed as soon as I could get them in and that they would be staying with me seeing as I had been looking after them for quite some time. That explains why they act like they are ferals though. If they have been on their own for that long basically that is what they are.

He asked if one of my cats could be a barn cat for him. I said I have issues with people getting cats and not looking after them. (Not a good way to win friends I tell you :D) Told him that none of the ones I have presently would do well in a barncat setting. The catty cats don't hunt and the other outside ferals that come and go would do the same at his place. In fact they would probably end up back here.
He has two "barns". One is used by the woman with the horses and is further away from his house. The other is a larger barn close to his house. That's the barn he wants the cat for. I asked about the cat being let out of the barn. He said he thought it was cruel to keep a cat inside all the time seeing as the barn is not a large one. I asked why. He said he didn't know. Just thought it was cruel. I told him it would be crueler to let the cat out to be hit by a car or worse. So he is thinking of ways to keep the cat inside. If he can't then he won't be getting this new one either. I will work on getting another home for her and the kitten. She is being taken from a situation where she was going to be put to sleep because she couldn't get along with the other cats these people have outside. :wall:

Love4himies
August 7th, 2009, 08:21 AM
:wall::wall::yell: Why are people so dumb :sad: