Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Potato Vine Plants ("Solanum")

friend2animals
August 6th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Hi,

I have 2 potato vine plants (solanum) that I have been keeping outside in full sun since May. I have recently noticed that some of the leaves have turned yellow, and the blooming has diminished somewhat.
I had been informed that this particular plant can be kept indoors, although its maintenance is somewhat tricky. They are indoors now, in a room that has full light.

Obviously, I am not an expert green thumb, but do I need to add fertilizer, or transplant these vines?
Does anyone know how I can continue to maintain these lovely vine plants, and improve their appearance?

Thank you in advance

clm
August 6th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Is this an actual potato plant? Sweet potato vines are not the same thing, I have those in a number of my hanging baskets and they are fed with a time release fertilizer. I wouldn't try growing them indoors, they need more light than I could possibly provide them inside.
Be careful with anything in the solanum family, deadly nightshade plants, all of them and very poisenous to your pets.

clm

friend2animals
August 7th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Hi clm,

No, they are not actual potato plants - just a flowering container plant, with blue/purple blooms and narrow green leaves. The official name of this plant is Vigne de patate 'Ratonetti' (Solanum).

[I have made sure that they are inaccessible to my pet...]

I guess I could try fertilizer.

- f2a

14+kitties
August 7th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Your potato vine actually sounds like it needs a rest. It has a tuber. You can pull the tuber out of the dirt and pack it in dry peat moss over winter. Then in the spring (April 1 or there abouts) you can put it back in soil in a pot and water. Don't over water it or fertilize at all. If it is not performing to your satisfaction after a couple of months then you can fertilize with a weak solution. Nothing too strong that will burn the tuber. The tubers will multiply as well if you are patient.

Sorry, wrong plant. I thought you were talking about the vine that comes readily in so many hanging baskets these days. Those ones do have a tuber.........

The Potato Bush/vine is what you have. If the leaves are turning yellow there is a number of reasons. It is getting close to the end of the growing season for it so it does probably need a rest. One of our other members has a couple of them. They are gorgeous. I have a purple one. My white one didn't survive.
If you let it go dormat for the winter, only giving small amounts of water when the soil is absolutely dried out, about every two weeks, and in about April start watering it as usual you may be successful in getting it to grow next season. You can cut it back quite a bit before starting to water it. Of course you will need to have it in fertile ground as well. You do not need to keep it in bright light during the dormat period. Subdued lighting is fine.