Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tip Script ~ May Offend Some (?)

wAggie
August 16th, 2004, 08:09 PM
I keep forwarding my "waitresses!" linx to mah bf, he found this on a site. apparently it's from a movie called "reservoir dogs."

http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/redriver/540/script.html

MR. PINK
Uh-uh. I don't tip.

EDDIE
You don't tip?

MR. PINK
No - I don't believe in it.

EDDIE
You don't believe in tipping?

MR. BLUE
You know what these chicks make? They make ****.

MR. PINK
Don't give me that. She don't make enough money, she can quit.

(Mr. Blonde laughs.)
EDDIE
I don't even know a ****ing Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me just get this straight. You don't ever tip, huh?

MR. PINK
I don't tip because society says I have to. Alright, I mean I'll tip if somebody really deserves a tip, if they really put forth the effort, I'll give 'em something extra, but I mean this tipping automatically is for the birds.

(Eddie laughs.)
I mean as far as I'm concerned they're just doing their job.

MR. BLUE
Hey, this girl was nice.

MR. PINK
She was OK - but she wasn't anything special.

MR. BLUE
What's special, take you in the back and suck your dick?

(They laugh.)
EDDIE
I'd go over 12% for that.

MR. PINK
Hey Look, I ordered coffee, right? Now we've been here a long ****in time, and she's only filled my cup three times. When I order coffee, I want it filled six times

MR. BLONDE
Six times? Well, you know, what if she's too ****ing busy?

MR. PINK
Words "too ****ing busy" shouldn't be in a waitress' vocabulary.

EDDIE
Excuse me, Mr. Pink - the last ****ing thing you need's another cup of coffee.

MR. PINK
Jesus Christ - I mean these ladies aren't starving to death. They make minimum wage. You know, I used to work minimum wage. And when I did, I wasn't lucky enough to have a job society deemed tip-worthy.

MR. BLUE
You don't care they're counting on your tips to live?

(Mr. Pink rubs two of his fingers together.)
MR. PINK
You know what this is? It's the world's smallest violin playing just for the waitresses.

MR. WHITE
You don't have any idea what you're talking about. These people bust their ass. This is a hard job.

MR. PINK
So's working at McDonald's, but you don't feel the need to tip them, do you? Why not? They're servin ya food. But no, society says don't tip these guys over here, but tip these guys over here. That's bull****.

MR. WHITE
Waitressing is the number one occupation for female noncollege graduates in this country. It's the one job basically any woman can get and make a living on. The reason is because of their tips.

MR. PINK
(pauses) **** all that.

(They all laugh.)
MR. BROWN
Jesus Christ!

MR. PINK
Hey, I'm very sorry that the government taxes their tips. That's ****ed up. That ain't my fault. It would appear that waitresses are just one of the many groups the government ****s in the ass on a regular basis. You show me a paper says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it. Put it to a vote, I'll vote for it. But what I won't do is play ball. And this non-college bull**** you're giving me, I got two words for that: "Learn to ****in type." Cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent, you're in for a big ****in' surprise.

rexdoggieowner
August 16th, 2004, 09:52 PM
haha... okay... thats kinda ironic.. cause i JUST came home from working at east side marios.. haha... when i read the part ' i don't tip' it got under my skin.. lol.... i have 2 jobs, and am tryin to help out my parents for school, and rex is allllll my fiancially responsibility... and that is a lot for a 19 year old.. that part was right when it said that we work our a** off... and its true... my feet are throbbing right now.. and its only 10... i don't mind.. its life-- but you put someone that says that on the floor to serve-- they wouldn't last 5 MINTUES... NOT EVEN KIDDING... but i thought the story was amuzing :)

wAggie
August 16th, 2004, 11:41 PM
ok, a few things.... EVERYONE ( i hope :p ) goes thru ups and downs in life, we've allllll been there, and we probably will again ( :( )

but there's no reason to wallow in those negative and depressing thoughts!

heck, i moved out on my own w a 5 month old puppy into a bsmt apt only to get TWO 12wk old kittens 2 months later! :eek:

WHAT was i thinking, eh? ;) I had 2 jobs (i still do!), AND school... (but that's beside the point)

this is going back 3 yrs... only, hehe. congrats on what u've accomplished so far and keep making goals of where u wanna go!! that's key. :)

... hey, dont u get to take left-over's home from work? :p :p at least for the DOG, right? :D

Cinnabear
August 17th, 2004, 12:17 AM
:D Funny script.

rexdoggieowner
August 17th, 2004, 12:25 AM
not really left overs.... but 50 percent off the food.. mmmm... I STILL LOVE EAST SIDES!!

wAggie
August 18th, 2004, 12:23 AM
damn, cant' beat that... maybe next time i go there, i'll ask for the discounted menu... THEN i'll tip proper. ;) ;)

JUST TEASING@@@ :)

chico2
August 18th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Yeah Aggie,that is funny.....but you know,the"I don't believe in tipping"thingy,just means,cheap,cheaper,cheapest!!!!!
and if anyone believes"any dummy"can waitress,you are in for a surprice,I've seen many"dummies"come and go :D

wAggie
August 18th, 2004, 05:09 PM
i know that!

it's just like, any "dummy" can do customer service, IMPOSSIBLE!

anywho... lol at least we agree on that! :)

heidiho
August 18th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Just have to say i cant stand a cheap tight wad guy either,TURN OFF..Not sure why i had to say that

glasslass
August 18th, 2004, 11:49 PM
For those who think that they should just raise the wages and no tipping, think about this. The owner would just raise the prices and you can bet he'll raise them more than 15%. So, higher prices, no tipping, no incentive to provide stellar service. Sighhh! Don't really want to think about it! :rolleyes:

wAggie
August 19th, 2004, 12:17 PM
glasslass, i absolutely disagree with you!!

check out every other nation where tipping is not "Mandatory"!!

believe it or not, "serving" customers is just that. and what does that make u? a server aka servant.

not something we'd typically favour as the job to have, i'm sure.

the pay will always be poor.

heidiho
August 19th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Maybe not mandatory,but the right thing to do.........

SSAC
August 19th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Loved the movie. Hey Aggie, if you liked reservoir dogs, then you might like "Snatch". (other than one part in the movie)

Back to tipping, I tip according to the service. There are times that I haven't tipped because the service was sooooo very bad. They are also the places that I never go back to.

I love East Side Marios (kung pao all the way) and I always tip 15 - 20% there because I always get great service! ;)

but true, I've worked min. wage jobs in the past and had to survive without tips :( Ce cera :)

chico2
August 19th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Aggie,I take offence to what you just said.First of all ANY job is an honorable job,secondly we are servants or being served one way or the other all our lives.
As for being poor,most good waitresses probably make more money than you do,if they lived on the $5.95/hour wages yes,they would be poor...but they don't!!! I know,from years of experience.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with serving people,I would take a waitress job ten times over being a POOR store-clerk any day.
There were times and there are places where a waitress is considered more a less a hooker,but this is 2004.Whatever you do in life be it a bankmanager or waitress,pride in yourself and your job is what matters.
Bigotted comments like yours really get to me,sorry!!

heidiho
August 19th, 2004, 02:13 PM
I am with Chico on that,why do you have such a negative attitude about it??

Writing4Fun
August 19th, 2004, 02:35 PM
SSAC - I LOVED "Snatch". Very funny - but then again, my sense of humour is a little skewed. :p

Tipping? I tip for just about anything - and it always depends on the type of service I receive. Yes, I worked in many customer service jobs where tipping simply wasn't done. Once in a while, though, a customer would see fit to send along a little something in thanks for a job well done - a box of chocolate or a card, etc... That was the ULTIMATE pick-me-up! Not because of the gift itself (which I shared with my co-workers), but because someone was really touched by what I did for them and THAT made my job worthwhile! That's why I always make sure the server (or whoever it is that I'm tipping for their job well done) hears my sincere "Thank You" when they get their tip. :D

wAggie
August 19th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Chico, i'm sorry you take offence, i certainly don't mean any... my stands holds from the belief a customer should NOT pay for the services of a waitress/waiter or the like. in society, we do NOT tip any other workgroup, and even thinking about it seems nothing more than silly.

i CERTAINLY don't feel comfortable taking money from someone for doing my job! waitressing/waitering shouldn't be any different.

i don't know where this "tipping" biz started, but i sure as hell wish i wouldn't contribute! you could sort of say i try to boycott the issue ( :confused: )

and for those who feel the same, i believe they'd move away from this workgroup/industry.

chico, tell me... ur offended bc....? u love ur job, ok, that's fine... but do u love ur job bc customers show their appreciation of ur job in tips aka money?

please show me what u mean so that i can understand ur point of view, right now i am at a loss, my mind is scattered, and perhaps skewed... for now. :rolleyes:

writing4fun, THAnks for that last comment!! that's what i've been trying to say w/o being able to find the right words!!!!

the THANK YOU is most important. THAT puts a smile on my face EVERY TIME.

btw, i've never seen "reservoir dogs" or "snatch" but i'll put that on my list of movies 2 c :)

chico2
August 19th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Aggie,we all have our views on different subjects.
I for one have never felt uncomfortable with tipping for good service,no I would not dream of tipping an insurance salesman,or the the cashier in the grocery-store,but yes,if someone pumps my gas in the winter,delivers me a pizza,or serves me a wonderful meal with a smile,sure tipping is warranted!
As for loving my job,I have not worked for many years but yes,I loved it....I worked Sat/Sun,14 hours alltogether usually make about $180 in tips those two days.But of course I would not love it enough to do it for $5,95/hour(then minimum wage for a waitress serving liquor).
I took offence to you insinuating,that it was something shameful to work serving people,I don't know what you are doing,but I am sure you are serving someone,maybe not food,but serving someone....
All the ladies I worked with for years,not teenagers,worked to make a living and did a darn good job at it,many with more education than a cashier in a supermarket,the hours are flexible and not all their money is taxable.They were all excellent waitresses,that's why many of our customers came back for more,year after year.
To be honest with you,most waitresses might do it if the owner payed $20/hour,but no less and that would bankrupt any restaurant.
I am not sure where the whole tipping business started,but I know in former communist countries,like Romania,Poland,Ukrain,Hungary,East-Germany etc...there was no tipping allowed and boy,did you ever wait for service.
We went to Romania on a family vacation while we lived in Sweden,so maybe you inherited the terrible aversion for tipping(no offence meant towards your Polish parents,whom I am sure are wonderful people).
There are plenty of places where you don't tip where you can go,but if you chose to go somewhere a little fancier,well even then,you don't HAVE to tip,it's not mandatory,totally up to the individual.
Personally Aggie,I think you are probably just a teensy bit cheap :D

heidiho
August 19th, 2004, 06:56 PM
No kidding,i have never heard someone feel so against tipping,doesnt matter ,wow,i dont know about you but i have had pizza delivery guys that are about 70 years old doing it because social doesnt pay enough do they can retire,you can bet your a ** he is gonna get a good tip from me...God i pray someone like you to NEVER sit at my table.What a bad attitude..

Spoiled
August 19th, 2004, 07:03 PM
I think that is stupid and offensive. I read only the first few sentences and thought so, so the others must have pretty bad stuff in them, too. I glanced over the whole thing and it had offensive stuff in it to.

wAggie
August 19th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Chico, i'd gladly donate to charity (and i have!) before putting change into a WORKING person's pocket!

anyhow, you're absolutely right. i never stated otherwise, i am serving my internal customers, i've mentioned earlier i'm a hr admin.

haha, chico's seems to be attempting to hit below the belt. nice try. ;)
here's a little of aggie history. i moved to ka-na-da at the tender age of 6. my parents neither enforced OR discriminated to tipping, i never heard of it. then again, my parents werent into the whole restaurant idea. family and food coincided. "outside food" was for the lazy.

that's about as deep as my parents got about "tipping." oh but yes, my mom did get "lazy" every now and again, that was when we ordered delivery pizza. and this may come as a shock, but my mom tipped! :eek:

heidi, ppl who retire at 65, can NOT work. legally.. :rolleyes:

melanie
August 19th, 2004, 07:19 PM
well again in oz we dont tip. i dont care about service that much, i dont care if i get a smile and a polite hello with my food, i just want my food. and i really dont care how long it takes as long as it comes today really. isnt that what tipping is for, the smiles etc.
i do agree with aggie, we dont tip other low wages services or jobs, the garbage man comes out in the cold too but i dont pop out to give him a few bucks for picking up my trash, the man at the toll both on the highway is friendly i dont tip him, a child care worker in australia get $6 an hour and they are caring for our kids, that is a very important service but i dont tip them and there are a thousand other jobs that pay min wages but are not tipped. and if i earn min wages why should i tip another who earns the same if they dont come to my work place and tip me? it seems a bit unfair to me.

i say put up the wages, and put up the price of the food if needed to cover the costs, ppl will always pay for food. that way the system is fair and no one can be discriminated against, be it the waitress that the customer doesnt like so they wont tip which affects her overall earnings or be it the customer who did not tip so will get bad service on the next visit. also the system currently sems to involve alot of negative emotion from both parties, the customer surely knows your on min wage, and thus feels guilt or similar emotion in relation to their choice to tip, but it is not that customers fault that your on that wage. just something to ponder :D

heidiho
August 19th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Well in america i tip,always have always will or i just wont go out to eat,or get my hair done,or take a cab etc etc...That is just how i feel about it.

melanie
August 19th, 2004, 07:42 PM
wow when you get your hair done? how cool it must fell pretty fancy to be tipping the hairdresser, it would make me feel kinda nice and special. so grace kelly to me :D

heidiho
August 19th, 2004, 07:44 PM
ARE u kidding???? Uh yeah i tip my hairdresser so does everyone i know that gets there hair done..

wAggie
August 19th, 2004, 07:44 PM
for the record, i'm not telling anyone NOT to be a waitress/waiter! heck, if you love it, it's your dream job, GO FOR IT. but don't be in it expecting "un-lousy" tips from ur customers.

and, ahem, dont be complaining about them. there are other minimum wage jobs, like mcdee's pointed out various times earlier. they're ULTRA fast and friendly! y not tip them?!

ooooh, it's bc u'r going to a more 'upper class' restaurant? give me a break.

it's like this, and i'll give an example of the clubbing scene. regardless of underground or upscale night club, there's either a price or 'guestlist' admission where you don't have to fork over ANY dough to get in.

why? it's business! u'r paying for something else. and guess what? it's included in the drink fee!

(thanks mel, loved ur comment... feels good not to be alone in this. but stemming from the "waitressing" thread, this is something i was prepared in dealing alone being that it's such a huge pet peeve of mine :p ... and don't say i didn't warn you guys!! this thread's title has a disclaimer and so did the first sentence in the first post i made in the other thread...)

ne ways, carry on. *hugs* to all... (i feel giddy, i just got back together w my h.s. best friend. she "left" me bc of differences... that was early 2000 and this evening we've been chatting up on msn... oooooooooo, kk i'll stop now :o :D )

heidiho
August 19th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Hey you can have your own beliefs i dont have to worry about ever waiting on you, thank god.and dream job being a waitress,pretty rude comment,maybe some people do what they have to do to live...

wAggie
August 19th, 2004, 07:48 PM
heidi, u know what?

maybe you should be reading my posts with an opened mind! i wasn't being sarcastic! :mad:

:rolleyes:

heidiho
August 19th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Well you dont believe in tipping,so i am going by that.

wAggie
August 19th, 2004, 07:52 PM
WHAT?

so bc i'm against tipping, i'm also SACRASTIC??!

someone, PLZ, help me understand this one! :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

*sigh*

melanie
August 19th, 2004, 08:18 PM
heidi i was not kidding, tipping is not a part of my culture and is very rarely practiced here except in yuppie cafes and restaurants in sydney. i am serious, if i tipped my hairdresser she would not know what i was doing, neither would the pizza delevery person, or most anyone else. we just dont do it.
and i could not imagine most australians would be happy with tipping, we are not that sort of society.
aggie dont worry your lovely head, water of a ducks back mate :D :D

wAggie
August 19th, 2004, 08:21 PM
he he hehehe

cute saying! :p

Luba
August 19th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Aggie who told you people over 65 can't work? :confused:

Edited to clarify

Although retirement still exsists in Ontario at 65 it does 'not' prevent someone of retirement age from seeking employment after retirement.
There is 'no' law in Canada that actually forces someone to retire at 65, it's merely the result of companies forcing people out. In that respect there is nothing the federal govt to date has done to 'stop' it either.

I think thats where you may be confused.

Completely sucks, people should be able to keep their jobs as long as they can do them!

Writing4Fun
August 19th, 2004, 08:25 PM
tipping is not a part of my culture and is very rarely practiced here

Sorry, Melanie, but I just got a really good chuckle imagining the faces of all those poor folks vacationing in Australia trying to tip their bellhops! Good thing I can't afford to travel there. I'd be shoving cash at these people saying, "Just take the @$#!! money!!" :D

Bill & Bob
August 19th, 2004, 08:26 PM
That's pretty funny Mel. I was listening to a talk radio station the other day and they were talking about mandatory voting. This Aussie guy came on and explained the whole process and what a high voter turnout rate they have because you get a ticket if you don't vote. When the host asked why it works so well, the Aussie guy said "Because were Aussies! We're cheaper than dirt!". That's awesome.

I have to say I understand why tipping continues to exist. However, I do feel that people shouldn't get paid a lower wage simply because they should be getting that wage topped up by tips. When you walk into work for the day, you should know how much you are going to walk out with at the end of the day when you know how many hours you are working.

Now I also understand that there are many different jobs out there where that won't apply as well.

I just don't think that someone should have to rely on the good graces of customers to put food on their own table. I worked retail in the computer industry for six years and I have to say I didn't get a good vibe off dealing with the general public.

wAggie
August 19th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Luba, mandatory retirement occurs at age 65 in Canada but they need to be given 1 yrs notice.

melanie
August 20th, 2004, 01:02 AM
"Because were Aussies! We're cheaper than dirt!".

ha ha, oh now that is so true. i was going to call us all tightasses in my prev post but didnt want to give us bad rep, but yes we are very cheap, that is what i meant by not that sort of society, cheap as chips. and if you dont vote here, you get a $50 fine. myself and many would vote for a monkey if it meatn we didnt pay for anything, oh us aussie love freebies, if we can get it for nothin it is all the better and many things we do are done 'with a lick and a promise' (just barely done) oh and we dont like working weekends either, bugger that (most of us dont like working at all, we are know as one of the more relaxed nations around the world and if we do work hard, you will hear all about it).
so you can see why our waitresses dont survive on tips, they would slowly but surely starve.
as far as travelers from far and wide go, well if you stay in the fancy places they will take your money with glee, might not understand why your giving it, but hey, we will just think your a rich tourist mug :D
so we will never have a tip system, it just would not work and would cause more trouble than worth i would imagine, 'if it aint broke, dont try and fix it' :D

chico2
August 20th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Aggie,I am not arguing with you,neither am I trying to offend....unlike you with the"dreamjob"comment.
Any sane person would of course rather be a CEO somewhere than waitressing,comparing a job at MCDonalds,which by the way,to me is nothing but a"get-the-people-fat-and-unhealthy"kind of place,to a real restaurant is really a longshot.
As for the 65 retirement age,it's soon to be changed and as far as I know,even at the Toronto Star where hubby works,noone HAS to retire at 65.Although my hubbie is taking early retirement,to spend more time with our cats :D
A lot of elderly people who cannot survive on a meager pension,work at lowpaying jobs,like Wal-Mart etc...part-time for a bit of extra money.
As I said before,I do not care how you feel about tipping,I only object to your opinion of people who work as,in your own words"servants"and your put-down attitude...any job,is better than no job.Even people slaving away at MCDonalds for minimum wage deserve our respect.

heidiho
August 23rd, 2004, 11:11 AM
Well in America it is part of our culture,unless you are just a tight wad.

glasslass
August 23rd, 2004, 01:43 PM
Just curious - do you have "commissions" in Australia?

Luba
August 23rd, 2004, 04:18 PM
NO there is no LEGAL government MANDATORY retirement here!! That's wrong!!!

Companies GET AWAY with 65 as a mandatory retirement age because there is no law to back up persons older then 65 after that time.

You see the Ontario Human Rights code only covers you until you are 65, and that is the only reason. There is NO law preventing ANYONE FROM working after 65.

People think there is, but there isn't.....just a LACK of a law to protect you
Which hopefully will change soon!

My father is 73 and working
My mother is 67 and working
My friends mother is 72 and working

Are they all illegally working?

iRONKNiGHT
August 23rd, 2004, 05:01 PM
Luba, mandatory retirement occurs at age 65 in Canada but they need to be given 1 yrs notice.

LOL wAggie.. whatcha smoking?

heidiho
August 23rd, 2004, 05:28 PM
I had a pizza this weekend delivered was 14.05,gave him a 3.00 tip...

wAggie
August 23rd, 2004, 05:59 PM
hell, if the employee's "slow and slower," i'd be the first one hauling their ass into the office for a "talk."

i cannot stand non-productive ppl. yes, age had to do with it, but not at all times, i KNOW that.

i say, this "mandatory" retirement is a god-sent for the ppl employers cant simply fire due to low-to-no productivity levels.

i also know some jobs/careers don't have a limit to retirement. ie, presidency and mr. ronald regan who was in mid-alzhimers b4 someone took a second look. :rolleyes:

melanie
August 23rd, 2004, 06:06 PM
oh heidi, i am australian and we are some of the biggest tight wads on the planet, i assure you. as i mentioned before, even i you dont care for politics or totally disagree, most vote to avoid the fine, yes very tight indeed :D :D .
glassy, we do have commission jobs but- most are commission with a base wage, so you get a sml amt of wage with commission and most are slaes type jobs. my sister works in news paper, she gets minimum wage per hour with a commission if she sells enough adds ect. we do have strictly commission jobs but not many, and i dont know anyone who would do strictly commission but there are some i suppose. but most commission jobs have base wage.
and i am glad you tip so well heidi, you must really make them smile when they realise the tip, and that is wonderful, making ppl smile and feel good is invaluable and not often practiced and for $3 i think that is good value. and that should make you smile too :D money well spent i would think :D :D

heidiho
August 23rd, 2004, 06:47 PM
BYno means do i have money,but i used to work for tips,so iknow how it is,so yeah i do believe in tipping well,if it is deserved...

Chany
August 23rd, 2004, 07:30 PM
Boy theres been some good points made on this thread.
I have to agree with chico. Any job is better than no job.
As far as tipping goes- I tip the waitresses( sometimes only 5 or 10% sometimes 25 ) depends on the service. I also waitressed when I was young and know how good one should be, but I will not tip 25% everytime I go out. If they don't like their job then find a new one. There is some big bucks to be made off tips if your good. I tip my hairdresser if she's done a good job. When somebody does something extra to make my day go better or to make me feel a little better I try to show it back. But what if someone can only afford to eat out once in a while should tips be mandatory? No way! There thats my .02. ;)

heidiho
August 23rd, 2004, 07:40 PM
If i cannot afford to leave a tip when i go out to eat,i dont,i will eat at home,i just could not imagine going out to eat and leaving no tip..Just my 02 cents..

chico2
August 23rd, 2004, 07:44 PM
Ok Aggie,here we go again :D My husband works for the best news-paper in Toronto(IMO)he's in charge of a whole lot of people,guess who he is having most trouble with,The 30-something crowd!!!
The older guys,who have been there for a loong time,are loyal,appreciate the great money they make.The younger ones(not all)need to be in an unemployment line to realize how lucky they are to be working there,making the kind of money they are.It really bothers me hearing the kind of stories hubbie tells me,also when I worked in the restaurant,every 50 yr old was every bit as fast and did a better job than most 19yrs olds.
Don't get me wrong,I love young people,but when it comes to giving that extra effort,many get a failing grade.
Granted it is a different atmosphere in most companies today,jobs are no longer for life,loyalty from your employer is non-existing....the bottom line is all that is important today,maybe that is why many young people have an attitude.

Chany
August 23rd, 2004, 07:46 PM
Heidi you don't have a mortgage and kids to support or everything else that goes along with that. I respect your opinion and its nice that you consider that part of eating out but I don't think someone should deny themselves a treat once in a while because that 25% left as a tip could have bought more milk for their kids.
There were 2 couples I waited on that I will remember for the rest of my life.
They left me a small tip but they also left me a note and that note meant more to me than the $10.00 on the next table. ( $10.00 was a big tip back then ) :rolleyes:

wAggie
August 23rd, 2004, 07:51 PM
Chico, by NO means am i discriminating the older generation, NONE!

i am only stating what i see in my place of work.

some of the young kids can be horribly immature, it can be far more pathetic that u can imagine... babysitting at work, who heard of it?

ne ways, ti'me for me to zip my mouth. :)

chico2
August 23rd, 2004, 08:07 PM
Aggie :D No need to zip up :D You have your opinion and I have mine,it would be an awfully boring world if everyone thought the same.
Debates(if we can call it that!)are healthy :D

OnlyInMyDreams
August 23rd, 2004, 08:39 PM
I know I just joined this site but I have read numerous post by alot of the same people. its quite interesting. you guys all chat on here and offer advice, friendship (even if its on the internet), and some common ground. Dont squabble over tipping or not tipping a waitress. Although it does not matter what I think.. (I always seem to lend my opinion when it is not necessary :) )I personally think that they are already getting paid and do not think its fair to other low paying jobs to tip someone that is pretty much doing the same thing they are. However, waitress' now-a-days do not always get paid min. wage jobs. I was a waitress for a short period and was getting paid more than min. wage. Sure I was grateful to get tips, but I did not expect it nor did i get angry if someone left without giving me one. But others feel differently than I do. I live in America too and I use to feel bad not giving tips because its the norm out here, but after being a waitress and after having a few more years under my belt I realized how many other jobs that I have worked harder at and never gotten any type of a tip and sometimes even a simple thank you. Trust me I respect waitress/waiters and those who work very hard at their min wage jobs. I had to do what I had to do to survive also. So, I understand where you all are coming from but just like a whole load of other subjects, this is just one that not everyone will agree on. Opinions are you own, no one elses and just like you have your right to yours, so does everyone else. :) So with that said.. lets tip if we tip lets not if we dont. Cant we all just get along??? :D

OnlyInMyDreams
August 23rd, 2004, 08:42 PM
Boy theres been some good points made on this thread.
I have to agree with chico. Any job is better than no job.
As far as tipping goes- I tip the waitresses( sometimes only 5 or 10% sometimes 25 ) depends on the service. I also waitressed when I was young and know how good one should be, but I will not tip 25% everytime I go out. If they don't like their job then find a new one. There is some big bucks to be made off tips if your good. I tip my hairdresser if she's done a good job. When somebody does something extra to make my day go better or to make me feel a little better I try to show it back. But what if someone can only afford to eat out once in a while should tips be mandatory? No way! There thats my .02. ;)

Well said Chany - And I agree I too will tip if someone does something above and beyond to make my day, they deserve it! My pet peeve is horrible customer service! AHHHHHHHHHHHH! I hate when they have bad attitudes bc they hate going to work! THEN DONT GO TO WORK AND BE RUDE TO ME!! haha.. Sorry.. I hate that! why work in customer service when you hate working with customers? Boggles the mind I tell ya!

Luba
August 23rd, 2004, 09:24 PM
Someone's work ethic has nothing to do with age one way or another young or old.

I wish people would come to realize that.

wAggie
August 23rd, 2004, 11:26 PM
Luba, if someone's got intense back and nerve problems, i seriously believe their performance would be lacking in the waitressing/customer service (the non-over-the-telephone kind), don't u think? oh, and i forgot to add, back and nerve problems may occur later in age...

OIMD, u MUST be only in my dreams... *starry eyed* lol
:D

chico..... i'm last to enjoy a debate... of any sort. i'm simply stating my opinion, and its' there to either be admired ( ;) ) or given positive criticism ( :p ), nothing more, nothing less... i've always disliked debate club... but that's another story. :p ;) ;)
i'm truly sorry i've miscommunicated so much and caused some to get upset over my comments... i feel they've come out wrong. i hope thru continued posts, u've learned to understand... my warped point of view. :o

:)

iRONKNiGHT
August 23rd, 2004, 11:49 PM
Luba, if someone's got intense back and nerve problems, i seriously believe their performance would be lacking in the waitressing/customer service (the non-over-the-telephone kind), don't u think? oh, and i forgot to add, back and nerve problems may occur later in age...

yeah and it's for you to guess and then judge what people have and dont have right wAggie?

wAggie does "communist" ring a bell? LOL

wAggie
August 23rd, 2004, 11:56 PM
iRON, fyi I HATE and have always hated history.

here's another fyi, i DO know what ppl have and dont have... they tell me. perhaps they're LYING, that's the only way i would presume they actually don't have something that i believe they do.

Luba
August 23rd, 2004, 11:58 PM
I don't understand the back/nerve problem??? whats that got to do with what I said? I'm confused??

wAggie
August 24th, 2004, 12:04 AM
back probs usually occur w "old age", Luba

lets add memory loss to the list. ;)

oh, and i forgot to add, back and nerve problems may occur later in age...

we can go on and on in reference to the higher percentage of health problems we see evident in the older population, causing (at times) lowered productivity levels. that is All.

this is not a statement indicating EVERY elder has health problems... Y'ALL know what i mean!!

k, bed timeeeeee zzzzzzzzz

Luba
August 24th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Well I said 'work ethic has nothing to do with age'

I just didnt' and dont' follow u on that one but thats okay, you must understand yourself ;)

wAggie
August 25th, 2004, 10:03 PM
doh!

i missed the work ETHICS part... i think i'm concentrating more on LACK OF PRODUCTIVITY. :o

carry on. :D

Writing4Fun
August 25th, 2004, 10:25 PM
wAggie, I hear ya, but I really think it should be up to the individual. The number of younger professionals taking leaves for physical or emotional ailments is ever on the rise, while the older population seems to be taking better care of itself. If we start making retirement mandatory based on age, are we going to start putting limits on what age a woman is allowed to take mat leave, because older women have more risk of complications and should therefore not be having children? All legistlation starts out as a "good idea". Then we wind up legislating ourselves up the yin-yang and it all falls to pieces. ;)

Writing4Fun
August 25th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Oh, and as for the "lack of productivity" - I don't know about you, but I'm getting really tired of the bottom line dictating every aspect of my life. I mean, you give a company 25-30 years of your life and then they just chuck you out because you're "not as productive" as you used to be? Now there's a fine howd'you do!! :mad: My father-in-law is some 77 years old now. He's been working for the same company since he came to Canada in his late twenties. He can barely walk for arthritis, and his employer knows that, but he's far too stubborn and proud to accept outright retirement. So his employer lets him come in and putter around as best he can, and pays him his regular salary in lieu of a pension. Now THAT's loyalty, on both their parts!

Luba
August 25th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Your father in law sounds like my dad :D
Awesome men!! True hard working dedicated family men!!!

Ought to be more like them.

Writing4Fun
August 25th, 2004, 11:02 PM
They are a rare breed these days! My dad's the same way, too. Stubborn, always right, won't argue 'cause they don't have to - but they'll work themselves to exhaustion for their families without uttering one word of complaint. God love 'em! :D Reminds me of that song from a few years back "Where have all the cowboys gone?"...

Luba
August 25th, 2004, 11:04 PM
I know Vicky, we don't appreciate them when we're young but as you grow older and realize what they've really done for you...you look at them and others differently.

Oh so you wanna quote country songs (not that I am a big fan lol)

I do like 'Daddy's Hands' though :D

wAggie
August 26th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Writing4Fun, ur absolutely right. here's what i c ( IN PART, NOT in general) :

the older population's productivity is low due to health reasons.

the youngest working population behaves like children, be irresponsible and very immature.

the mid-young population attempts to claim emotional/ psychological problems to take time OFF work (ie, stress, depression)

i think each relates to the age group. again, this is a SMALL percentage of the non-effective workers. .;.. yet some employers may have a larger percentage then others, depends.