Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Garden/ Yard Update

mollywog
August 6th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I've been busy this past little while with visitors, but with my parents here for the weekend we were able to get some yardwork done (they are garden fanatics and pretty much wouldn't sit still the whole time they were here!)

1. First off- Molly now has a larger range in the backyard, thanks to a "zipline" that my dad installed. They had one for their dog Jake :rip: that Molly always used when we visited them and now Molly loves having her very own. Its a cable from the house to the Pine tree with a pulley. And I never leave her on it when I'm not here.

2. Don't know what these are- they just bloomed after I had thought they were a weed, and DH mowed a few of them over. Remnants from previous owners. They sure are pretty colours though!

3. Tiger Lilies still haven't bloomed, but those bulbils are just about ripe for the picking for a fall seed trade! (Ceara that means you!) :thumbs up

mollywog
August 6th, 2009, 11:20 AM
My dad is an excellent tomato-grower, started these plants from seed this spring in his basement. They seem to be pretty happy beside the shed, where the heat reflects.

there are 2 different varieties, both produce small, cherry-like tomatoes. First is called Yellow Pear I believe.

mollywog
August 6th, 2009, 11:22 AM
a few more blooms from the original flower bed in the front yard. All from previous owners.
1. Lovely purple blooms. Don't know the name! :rolleyes:

2. Thrift. I don't think it likes this location, seems to get knocked over by the rain! You can also see the Ladys Mantle in the left hand of the picture.

3. Dianthus. Same thing as the Thrift, seems to have fallen over :shrug:

hazelrunpack
August 6th, 2009, 08:32 PM
The second pic in the first post is of Sweet William. They sure are pretty! :cloud9: Pretty dianthus, too! Not sure what the purple mystery flowers, are. They look vaguely familiar, but hazel's brain is too fried to pull a name from memory. :o

Molly looks pretty happy out surveying her domain! :D

mollywog
August 6th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks Hazel. Molly LOVES it. She has located a squirrel in that Pine tree and sometimes will sit for hours just staring up at the tree, waiting patiently for it! Such a patient "hunter"! :laughing:

CearaQC
August 6th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I couldn't reply before because my cordless keyboard batteries died and I had to recharge them. :laughing:

Yeah that #2 looks like Sweet Williams. That is one tough plant. In my gardens I had to get rid of a lot of it because it self seeded like crazy. And in spring during snow melt, I was able to break some ice away and find that plant still green and beginning to grow!!!

Your other purple unknown may be like what I saw on my neighbor's driveway edge. Hard to tell from the pic though. But look up this - Campanula glomerata and see if that's what it is. My neighbor said that her grandmother was originally the one who planted those flowers. So I thought that was some neat history!

I went back to my neighbor's driveway and was hoping to find seeds from those flowers but now I can't even find the plants. :sad:

Yay tiger lilies! I'm getting some bulbils from another pets.ca member too. But that's good. I'll take any lily just about!!

Remember if you see anything you like in my collection, let me know and I will either propagate some for you or if there are enough baby bulbs you can have a few of those. Well except for the daylilies. I'm still waiting on those to multiply a bit more on their own before trading.:o

Chris21711
August 7th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I've been busy this past little while with visitors, but with my parents here for the weekend we were able to get some yardwork done (they are garden fanatics and pretty much wouldn't sit still the whole time they were here!)

You can always send them to my place if they get bored
Mollywog :D

3. Tiger Lilies still haven't bloomed, but those bulbils are just about ripe for the picking for a fall seed trade! (Ceara that means you!) :thumbs up

My Tiger Lillies are just starting to bloom, if you are going to remove the bulbils, remove the ones further down the stem first, they are the ones that first start to drop....some of mine have 20 buds on each stem this year......I'm guessing they are liking this crummy summer :yell:

mollywog
August 7th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Your other purple unknown may be like what I saw on my neighbor's driveway edge. Hard to tell from the pic though. But look up this - Campanula glomerata and see if that's what it is. My neighbor said that her grandmother was originally the one who planted those flowers. So I thought that was some neat history!

I went back to my neighbor's driveway and was hoping to find seeds from those flowers but now I can't even find the plants. :sad:

Thats exactly them Ceara. Its in the Bellflower family. So pretty! I wouldn't be surprised if these were planted a long time ago. I recently found out that we are only the 4th people to own this house, and that the original family lived in it up until about 5 years ago and had some beautiful gardens. Since then the owners let it all grow over. But there are still some tough survivors!!

mollywog
August 7th, 2009, 12:06 PM
My Tiger Lillies are just starting to bloom, if you are going to remove the bulbils, remove the ones further down the stem first, they are the ones that first start to drop....some of mine have 20 buds on each stem this year......I'm guessing they are liking this crummy summer :yell:

Thanks Chris. :highfive: I just went out and got a bunch, most of them were just perched on the leaf, ready to fall off! So now I have a bag full of them in my fridge ready for a Pets.ca seed trade! :thumbs up

Ceara- I think I would be happy to get ANYTHING from your garden- it's all so beautiful! But keep in mind that I am a "beginner" gardener... so nothing too fragile! :o

Tundra_Queen
August 7th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Your yard looks wonderful! How big is your property? Mine is so tiny I get jealous when I see a nice big yard like I grew up on.

Debbie

CearaQC
August 8th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Can't wait to see your Tigers in bloom. Don't forget pictures. lol

Ceara- I think I would be happy to get ANYTHING from your garden- it's all so beautiful! But keep in mind that I am a "beginner" gardener... so nothing too fragile! :o

I don't believe I have anything fragile!!:laughing::laughing: I prefer plants that take care of themselves and need no fuss to come up year after year. I just don't have the patience for fussy plants to be honest. I could never be one of those eccentric people growing rare wild orchids in a greenhouse waiting 20 years for it to bloom. :laughing::laughing:

I can't help myself and hope you don't mind me saying. Maybe a few years down the road you can make a walking path with a wooden pergola and lots of climbing flowers on it. I think it would look dreamy in your setting. Then you can have your tea/coffee or glass of wine and stroll around your garden and have a bench at the end to sit in, like a secret spot.

mollywog
August 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Your yard looks wonderful! How big is your property? Mine is so tiny I get jealous when I see a nice big yard like I grew up on.

Debbie

aww thanks Debbie... I used some "creative photo taking" here- you can't see the neighbour's junky yards, the road behind the house, or the weed garden in the middle of our yard! (its an old vegetable garden that has railroad ties around it and is full ofabout 4 ft tall, badly overgrown weeds)!!! But it's a work in progress. Every year we will do a little work on it. Next year it's a deck! yay!
We live right in town, but lucked out with a double long lot. Our property measures 75 x 175. Nice size for in town, I calculated it to be 0.3 acre! :D

mollywog
August 8th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Can't wait to see your Tigers in bloom. Don't forget pictures. lol

I can't help myself and hope you don't mind me saying. Maybe a few years down the road you can make a walking path with a wooden pergola and lots of climbing flowers on it. I think it would look dreamy in your setting. Then you can have your tea/coffee or glass of wine and stroll around your garden and have a bench at the end to sit in, like a secret spot.

I will be sure to take pictures. I check them every day!! I also have 1 daylily that looks like it will bloom this year!

Thanks for the suggestion. I wish I knew how to work Photoshop or something similar so I could illustrate, but we would like to build a garage at the back of the lot (there's road access back there) and then extend a fence across and back from the garage and new driveway. I would LOVE to have an arbour gate near the garage with Clematis on it! And then gardens all along the edge of the fenceline.
You wouldn't happen to have a winning lottery ticket that you could "lend" me, would you!? :laughing: