Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Koala that survived fires in Australia dies in surgery.

ancientgirl
August 6th, 2009, 10:07 AM
This is so sad. I have tears in my eyes.

Sam the Koala (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32310109/ns/world_news-asiapacific/)

Iconic koala that survived fires dies in surgery
‘Sam,’ who was captured on film during Australia blazes, loses fight for life

ADELAIDE, Australia - Sam the koala, who gained worldwide fame and sympathy when she was rescued during Australia's devastating wildfires this year, died Thursday during an operation meant to save her from a life-threatening disease.

The 4-year-old koala had developed cysts associated with urogenital chlamydiosis, which affects up to 50 percent of Australia's koala population.

During surgery, the disease was found to be so advanced that it was inoperable and Sam was put to sleep, said Peita Elkhorne, spokeswoman for the lawyers that represent the shelter where the koala had lived since the February fires.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

‘Devastated’
"It was so severe that there was no possible way to be able to manage her pain," Elkhorne said in a statement. "All of those who have been involved with Sam are devastated with this loss."

Even Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd commented on the animal's death, saying she had been a symbol of hope for Australia during the wildfires.

"It's tragic that Sam the koala is no longer with us," Rudd said.

Click for related content
Read more news from around the world

Image resonated around the world
As the fires burned in Victoria state, Sam was gingerly making her way on scorched paws past a fire patrol north of Melbourne when one of the firefighters spotted her. The firefighter was photographed holding a bottle of water to her lips, an image that resonated around the world.

She suffered second- and third-degree burns to her paws and had been recuperating at the Southern Ash Wildlife Shelter.

Record temperatures, high winds and forests dried by years of drought set off infernos that swept a vast area of Victoria state, killing more than 170 people and destroying thousands of homes.

Rest in peace pretty girl.:rip:

NoahGrey
August 6th, 2009, 10:58 AM
RIP Sam. And I am happy that she had a humane death as well...although I wish the outcome would have been a happy ending.

ACO22

animatedpet
August 6th, 2009, 05:29 PM
So sad, I remember reading about that story a few months ago.

Shaykeija
August 6th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Aww poor little thing....:rip:

Magicwildwolf69
August 6th, 2009, 11:36 PM
:candle: little sam be pain free now :sad: