Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

So anybody from Saskatchewan here?

pattymac
August 6th, 2009, 12:50 AM
We're very seriously considering pulling up stakes in Ontario and moving there. I need a change...40 years in one area pretty much is getting pretty boring. I think I've been on just about every country road that isn't a dead end within a hundred or so mile radius of here!! Ok even been down a few dead end ones!!

I've been looking in the area between Humboldt and Yorkton. Don't want to live right in the city. I love small prairie towns. My Mom grew up in Alberta and would love to go back to the prairies. Alberta's just way too expensive right now.

I know the rest of the family will freak out..my one sister in particular. My oldest sister packed up and left Montreal over 10 years ago to go to Vancouver. So I right now have guilt feelings for wanting to go and try something different and excitement cause this will be a real adventure and challenge!

I'm planning to hop on a Greyhound early September and go take a look around. Been through Saskatchewan quite a few times but never really stopped to have a look. It was more just another province to get through on out way to relatives in Edmonton!

Dracko
August 6th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I currently live in Saskatoon and am just relocating to Moose Jaw (2 hours south). Saskatchewan is BOOMING right now. Great place to live.

The area you want to live is a good one. Has lots of home for rent/sale at decent prices, especially is you want to live in the smaller towns. Try looking on Kijiji if you want to rent. You will have to search under Saskatoon and/or Regina as those are the only 2 areas with listing on that site. Given Yorkton is about equal distance from them both people post homes around that area on both the S'toon and Regina pages.

:thumbs up

mollywog
August 6th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Good for you Pattymac! Follow your dreams :)
I have always thought that the prairies would be a nice place to retire... so much LAND! And yes, I have heard that Sask. is booming right now, whereas AB's bubble is bursting.
Let us know what you find out. I too have only ever driven through SK on the way to visit relatives in Alberta!

pattymac
August 6th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I found a little house in Alsask, right on the border..guess which one hahaha!! My Mom being a Westerner, always insisted that westerners are very friendly and it seems to be very true..they also seem to really love critters. All the places I've enquired about are like, you have animals great bring them along!

I can't wait till Bayley really hears coyotes for the first time! Should be interesting for her. We have them around here but they don't make alot of noise around here.

mollywog
August 6th, 2009, 11:00 AM
pattymac are you retired or would you be looking for a job in SK as well?
Alsask- love the name. It really couldn't be any closer to AB without being IN it! haha. I have family in Medicine Hat and have always loved the area- rolling hills, big skies!

pattymac
August 6th, 2009, 11:30 AM
No not retired so would be looking for work..heheh the closest town has a timmies and mcdonald's would love a no stress job for a change. My mom's retired and her pensions will go farther. Right now my current job is anything but stress free, people keep quitting so that puts more work on everybody who's left. I guess I may be the next one leaving. There's no respect for the employees there, everyone can't stand the boss lady. No benefits. If you need to change a shift they make it seem like an impossible task for them, even with lots of advance notice. So ya it's time for some fresh air!!

Frenchy
August 6th, 2009, 11:55 AM
My Mom being a Westerner, always insisted that westerners are very friendly and it seems to be very true..

Yes it is. I lived all my life in Montreal , then when I was about 24 yr old , I moved with BF to Vancouver. But came back after 3 months , couldn't find a job :shrug:

People from the East and West coasts are extremely different. West is very relax and polite and friendly , compare to here :laughing: I must say , it got me a bit annoyed to be around such nice people all the time , when I got back to Montreal and heard people honking their horns and swearing at each others , it was music to my ears :laughing:

I say go ahead and try , if it doesn't work out , you can always move back. :shrug:

Bailey_
August 6th, 2009, 01:12 PM
People from the East and West coasts are extremely different. West is very relax and polite and friendly , compare to here :laughing: I must say , it got me a bit annoyed to be around such nice people all the time , when I got back to Montreal and heard people honking their horns and swearing at each others , it was music to my ears :laughing:

:laughing: Frenchy this totally cracked me up, because I have lived in Alberta my entire life and went East to visit my family in Nova Scotia, stopping in Quebec on the way.

I will NEVER forget the drive we took through Quebec, stopping at a red light and watched in horror as a guy on a bike took off his helmet and SMASHED it into the back window of a car he felt had obviously done him wrong. :eek:

Here in Alberta, I have actually HIT a guy on a bike, and he apologized to ME. :laughing:

pattymac
August 6th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I figure I may suffer from a bit of culture shock!! My neighbours are only friendly enough so they can gossip about you!! Not for the lack of stores though, I already have to drive 20 minutes to the grocery store. I am looking forward to getting away from crowds. Jeez even Gananoque this summer is annoying me!! Too many tourists!

Frenchy
August 6th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I will NEVER forget the drive we took through Quebec, stopping at a red light and watched in horror as a guy on a bike took off his helmet and SMASHED it into the back window of a car he felt had obviously done him wrong. :eek:

:laughing: gotta love that :cloud9: power to the people :laughing:

I took my driver's courses right in downtown Montreal :eek: one time , some guy crossed the street in front of 'my car' , I started to give some gas and the teacher tells me : wtf are you doing ?

I told him : well , my light is green :evil:

mollywog
August 6th, 2009, 02:26 PM
:laughing: this is too funny. I will never forget my first (and only) time driving through Montreal. It made Toronto and the 401 seem like a walk in the park! :laughing: one of our friends who lives there told us the traffic lights are just "suggestions" rather than "THE LAW" :wall: :laughing:

Frenchy
August 6th, 2009, 02:38 PM
one of our friends who lives there told us the traffic lights are just "suggestions" rather than "THE LAW" :wall: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:

rainbow
August 6th, 2009, 02:46 PM
People from the East and West coasts are extremely different. West is very relax and polite and friendly , compare to here :laughing:

Yes we are :D .....most of the time. :laughing:

pattymac, I hope you find a place you like but if you're looking in small towns only make sure there is a vet there with 24 hr on call service. :thumbs up

Bailey_
August 6th, 2009, 02:50 PM
:laughing: gotta love that :cloud9: power to the people :laughing:

I took my driver's courses right in downtown Montreal :eek: one time , some guy crossed the street in front of 'my car' , I started to give some gas and the teacher tells me : wtf are you doing ?

I told him : well , my light is green :evil:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

AWESOME.

It made Toronto and the 401 seem like a walk in the park! one of our friends who lives there told us the traffic lights are just "suggestions" rather than "THE LAW"

I heard on the radio that Quebec was the only place in Canada where you could turn right AND left on a red light. :laughing:

I'm not gunna lie, I'm fairly sure I wouldn't last there. lol

pattymac, Saskatchewan is wonderful, as long as you're prepared for their winters. I visited MooseJaw two years ago and nearly DIED. I thought Alberta was cold, but nothing compares to the flat-flat prairies of Saskatchewan winds...

Bina
August 6th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Having spent over 40 yrs in Quebec, it has been great now that I'm living in Eastern Ontario.
Sorry, but I would not be able to move to Sask....this past winter had about 3 months of solid 20 below zero temps. No thanks, I'm getting too OLD for that. ;)
But, Alberta would be amazing, if I could afford it.
Check out MLS.ca and you will get a "feel" for whats available.

pattymac
August 6th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Honestly I don't mind the cold..I prefer that to these icky humid days of summer. Heheh I've got a great supply of alpaca stuff that I can maybe finally make use of! It's not cold enough here in the winter, so I end up taking it off! Hmm providing my sister doesn't stop talking to me for moving maybe I can get some alpaca fleece felt insoles to keep my tootsies warm duing the winter.

pattymac
August 6th, 2009, 05:46 PM
hehe my MOm doesn't want to go back to Alberta..too close to her sister...who lives on the lower mainland of BC...long story even longer grudge!!

Bina
August 6th, 2009, 09:57 PM
A couple of months ago my niece moved to Calgary and she loves it.
She e-mails pics with those fantastic mountains in the background. Wow.

Bailey_
August 6th, 2009, 10:07 PM
A couple of months ago my niece moved to Calgary and she loves it.
She e-mails pics with those fantastic mountains in the background. Wow.

Yup, they are pretty gorgeous here! I think Calgary has the best of both worlds here in Alberta...we have the prairie flat and the gorgeous mountains.

Did your neice tell you about the wicked storm that came thru here over the weekend? INSANE!

hehe my MOm doesn't want to go back to Alberta..too close to her sister...who lives on the lower mainland of BC...long story even longer grudge!!
:laughing:

Bina
August 6th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Yes, I saw some of the storm on TV,
and in Quebec this week, in Mont Laurier, was a tornado.
The world has gone crazy.

Bailey_
August 6th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Yes, I saw some of the storm on TV,
and in Quebec this week, in Mont Laurier, was a tornado.
The world has gone crazy.

:eek: Really?!? Nuts! The storm here knocked over so many HUGE trees. Here are a few pictures of my friends pasture after the wind went through.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs181.snc1/6014_130981011941_526101941_3112444_3521992_n.jpg
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs181.snc1/6014_130981016941_526101941_3112445_2165869_n.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs181.snc1/6014_130981026941_526101941_3112447_3671298_n.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs161.snc1/6014_130982171941_526101941_3112454_5918083_n.jpg

So true...the world HAS gone insane.

Bina
August 6th, 2009, 10:40 PM
We had the same type of fur trees uprooted during a storm cell when I lived in Quebec.
Very nasty stuff.

growler~GateKeeper
August 7th, 2009, 02:01 AM
There's no respect for the employees there, everyone can't stand the boss lady. No benefits. If you need to change a shift they make it seem like an impossible task for them, even with lots of advance notice.

:rolleyes: Sounds exactly like my job, except I'm the only employee aside from the owner & her husband :rolleyes: Get out while you can! :laughing:

:eek: Yikes those are some scary pics!

pattymac
August 7th, 2009, 04:31 AM
ok this whole thing is pretty scary!! You'd think I was planning to move to a strange country or something! The owner of the house I/We like is very helpful. The town even though tiny, still has an indoor pool, bowling alley that is still in use and left over from when they had an army run radar installation...pretty cool The water is spring fed and that's a good thing on the prairies. She also lives next door which I'm assuming will be a good thing if we get it and we're getting used to a prairie winter! My mom's been through a few of those, but I've only been out there in one winter over Xmas. No snow in Edmonton when we arrived, 24 hours later, there was about 2 feet! Mind you I seem to recall getting pretty close to that here more than a few times!

That must have been pretty scary to witness!! Those are big trees!!

lUvMyLaB<3
August 7th, 2009, 08:49 AM
i am in mb! Love it but u never will get used to the winters. Lol! There is no such thing as global warming here. . . . Last winter broke recordrs it was below minus thirty for months. Good luck on ur move. Sorry about my spelling this is my first attempt posting from from my phone and i cannot see my typing!

rainbow
August 7th, 2009, 01:41 PM
The town even though tiny, still has an indoor pool, bowling alley that is still in use and left over from when they had an army run radar installation...pretty cool

What about a veterinarian?