Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Waht breeds would you like to own?

babymomma
August 5th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Just curious..lol

Im just wondering what breed of dogs would you like to own in the future?
Even if you know it wont happen or wont happen.. lol

Mine:
-When I move out I want to get a Small breed dog from rescue.

-I want to adopt a Pittbull from a shelter. (For soe reason I have a Soft spot for tripod pits. Dont ask.loll.. But if theres one out there in the future.. I wana adopt it.)

-Obviously I want a German shepherd (Or 6)

-I want a fila but im pretty sure it wont happen, im not sure if im the right person for one.

-I want a Great dane.. I can see that happening..

-I want a border collie ! .. I LOVE them!

- I want a Labrador retriever.

-And A rottie..

A long haired whippett would be nice too

Oh and a Golden..

Ok , I hope I live a Very long life!

I just love them all SO much... I want em all..

I want a well bred WORKING border collie and a well bred shepherd.. The rest Ill look into for rescue

lol.. Long list..

And of course which ever mixed breed heinz dogs that I fall in love with..

Plus fosters.. Thats what I look forward too most about movind out. Fostering cats and doggies. :crazy:

elisabeth_85
August 5th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Well, I already have the breed I want to own.. Haha..

I have never wanted another breed of dog, the Shepherds have always been my choice.

Now if you asked how many of that breed I would want to own.. haha.. that would be a different story!

Nyamo
August 5th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I already have the breed I love most, Akitas lol but when I'm older I wish I could have a few of them. I would also love hybrid wolf dogs but I know I wouldn't have the lifestyle needed to care for them properly.

mollywog
August 5th, 2009, 08:29 PM
ooh this is a fun one!!!
too many to list... but here's what I can think of...

Daschund (probably top of my list)
Whippet
German Shorthaired Pointer
Italian Greyhound
Chihuahua
Blue Heeler
Frenchy's Kelpie :lovestruck:
and any other adorable mutt that comes along!!!

TacoGrl
August 5th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I once had a shep and I would love another one.

Others:
Boxer
Beagle
Black Lab
Yellow Lab

Of course, I would prefer a mix with one of the above...the mutts I have met all seem to be such goofs :D

Frenchy
August 5th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Frenchy's Kelpie :lovestruck:

:laughing: Sienna is still looking for her forever family ;)

I can't list the breeds I would like to get because it's almost 11 pm and I would like to go to bed before 2 am :laughing:

there's so many but ... ok let me try this

- st-bernard
- english mastiff
- pyrenee
- any other breed 100 lbs and up :laughing:

for the smaller breeds :

- irish or english setter
- cocker spaniel

if I had more time , maybe when I retire and have time to train or do agility :

- border collie
- gsd
- Kelpie :D

of course , I will ALWAYS have at least one golden in my house. :cloud9: oh and a great dane too !

and any other dog with a good temperament .... so basicly , I can end up with any breed , any day :shrug:

Frenchy
August 5th, 2009, 10:03 PM
oh oh and a rescue greyhound !!!

pretty sure I'll come back to add a few more .... :D

CearaQC
August 5th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I love the hunting dogs with the retriever face, like labs, setters, pointers, etc the most.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
August 5th, 2009, 10:04 PM
My dream list . . .

Another Scottish Terrier (:rip:Hamish)
Borzoi
German Shepherd
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Minature Bull Terrier
Greyhound
American Pit Bull/Amstaff (whoever's looking for a home :))
Australian Cattle Dog
Another mutt
Shiba Inu (already own one, but would definately own another as weird as they are ;))
Smooth Collie
Cane Corso
Rottweiler

Frenchy
August 5th, 2009, 10:16 PM
oh oh ... Basset hound ..... add basset hound ....

ok ok I'll stop now ..... or will I ? :evil:

Chaser
August 5th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Oooooh this is fun! :D Here's my Top 10 - I've even already named some of them!

In order of priority:

1. Bernese Mountain Dog (Bella)
2. Rottie (Jackson) - want to get one through Adopt-A-Rotti here in Ontario
3. Pug (Lexie) - preferably a brindle one - Pugalug rescue has one now that I'm in love with but DH-to-be says no, even though she would be perfect for our family! :cry: Meanie! :yell:
4. GSD - I want another cream/silvery one like Kailey
5. Black Lab
6. Cane Corso
7. Doberman
8. Border Collie - preferably a Nova lookalike!!! But again, DH says no, because he thinks Chase is already too hyper and annoying and therefore doesn't want a purebred BC :rolleyes:
9. Rhodesian Ridgeback
10. Leonberger

A Boston Terrier would be the only other small breed I would like to have. Otherwise I'm a "big dog" person!

If I didn't live in Ontario I would rescue a Pitbull in a heartbeat. :sad:

Want to try (again) to foster GSDs for GSRT once we own our own home....

The above listed would be rescues, except probably the Berner. I think that is the one dog I would go to a breeder for, since they are so rare in rescue. As well, when we have kids we won't be able to have foster dogs in the home for several years and I want our kids to have a puppy to grow up with. I think a Berner would be perfect :lovestruck:

I also want to rescue an exotic (rabbit or ferret), who I would like to call Felix. Plus a pair of goats...as yet unamed.

Breeds that I never, ever want to own because I know they would be an awful fit for us: JRT, Beagle, Hound, Min Pin....great dogs, but for somebody else!!!!

Shaykeija
August 5th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Any breed...I love them all...:cloud9::lovestruck:

jazzy
August 6th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Right now I have a Shiba Inu. He is my first dog I have on my own (had 5 different ones growing up).

When I get a house and a husband, I'd like a German Shepherd. At some point, I really want a cocker spaniel.

Other than that, I'd like whatever little guy or gal catches my love. <3

Love4himies
August 6th, 2009, 07:06 AM
If I could have a dog it would be a rottie.

ancientgirl
August 6th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I've got a few I'd want too. This is in no particular order

Pharaoh Hound
Pit Bull
English Bulldog
Mini Pinscher
Pug
Boston Terrier
French Bulldog
Rottweiler
German Shepherd

Spatx
August 6th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Oh this is fun! I spend a lot of time looking at various breeds :D

More of these!
- Border Collie
- Australian Shepherd

And some of these!
- Jack Russell
- Whippet
- Belgian Malinois
- Boston Terrier
- German Shorthaired Pointer
- Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
- Labrador Retriever
- Golden Retriever
- Shetland Sheepdog
- Weimaraner

Umm... I better have a big property and a good job when I'm older! :laughing:

ownedbycats
August 6th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Oh, this is fun. Let's see...

Collie (old-fashioned rought coat collie)
German shepherd
Irish Setter
Golden Retriever
Bernese Mountain dog

but will likely end up with mix breed rescue dog when I move out and have my own place. mixed breed dogs are great but you can never guess ahead of time what mix you will end up with.

clm
August 6th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Gonna be a long list. If I could have as many dogs as I wanted along with my beloved Keeshonden, then I would have
Malamute
Rough Coated Collie
Doberman
German Shepherd
Shiloh Shepherd
Mastiff
Bulldog
Pekenese
Borzoi
Irish Wolfhound
Gordon Setter
Springer Spaniel
Great Pyr
Bernese Mountain Dog
Swedish Laphund
Grand Van Griffon Vandeen
Australian Shepherd
Boxer
Saint Bernard
Pomeranian
Bearded Collie
Briard
Samoyed

Macomom
August 6th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I drool over:

Cane Corsos
Great Danes
Dobermans
Standard Poodles
English Mastiffs
Bulldogs
Grey Hounds
I also have a place in my heart for goats and sheep.

Macomom
August 6th, 2009, 09:08 AM
and I forgot Afghans!

mollywog
August 6th, 2009, 09:25 AM
This is fun! Chase_Mom- I love that you already have names picked out! DH-to-be doesn't stand a chance!!!! :laughing:

babymomma
August 6th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Lol.. Great lists everybody!

Looking at it now i realize i missed a few.. lol

I want a vizsla Very very badley.

And I would LOVE a doberman, but with that whole "not good with the same sex" thing. I dont think that would EVER be possible. Im sure I will always have both sexes of dogs. :shrug:

A boxer :D I loooove their energy and there little faces:cool:

mollywog
August 6th, 2009, 10:24 AM
ooh! Add Viszla to my list too!! Please!!! :pray:

Spatx
August 6th, 2009, 10:39 AM
and my list!! :laughing:

Gail P
August 6th, 2009, 10:48 AM
When I was growing up our family always had a Kerry Blue Terrier. Then in high school I got my first two rough collies. Since then I've always had a collie, plus we've had great danes, border collies, bc mixes, ACD mix and Thunder (whatever he is :laughing: ) Dh has also had a hound and beagle for deer hunting. I have to say that in the border collies I've found the perfect match for me, there is no other breed I'd want to have now. Unless I get sheep and want to also have a livestock guardian dog. A friend of mine has some beautiful Anatolian Shepherds that guard her flock.

BenMax
August 6th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I would love another Rottie. I have a feeling it will be a while. This is the only breed I would love to have once again. No other - but then again, they usually pick me and not the other way around.....and I am feeling like I am going to foster fail once again with a mix lab/GSD/husky...:o (I am trying very hard to fight these feelings OFF).

mollywog
August 6th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I would love another Rottie. I have a feeling it will be a while. This is the only breed I would love to have once again. No other - but then again, they usually pick me and not the other way around.....and I am feeling like I am going to foster fail once again with a mix lab/GSD/husky...:o (I am trying very hard to fight these feelings OFF).

is this the one you were telling me about BM? I am still waiting for those pics, do you need help posting?? ;)

BenMax
August 6th, 2009, 11:26 AM
is this the one you were telling me about BM? I am still waiting for those pics, do you need help posting?? ;)

She is Mollywog. And I would love to post the pictures but I cannot re-size them. If you are offering...I could e-mail them to you perhaps?? For the 'rescue to now thread' perhaps???:D

MommaKat
August 6th, 2009, 11:41 AM
A little :offtopic: but when the jackpot gets really high, hubby and I go out to get a ticket . If we ever win a bunch of money we would totally get a bigger property and rescue more animals. Though, Any future dog would have to be good with cats and kids because I doubt I would be without either in the future :rolleyes:.Anyways, in no particular order (and these would all be rescues and most likely mutterooskies of what's listed):

Newfoundland (I have one and I love her, and to have another would be:cloud9:)
Beagle
Boxer
Standard Poodle
Shih tzu (Have one, their so fun and spunky, I love them :lovestruck: )
JRT (also quite spunky and go go go :laughing: )
Doberman
Pug (If I had one I would totally need to name him Waffles :D )
Cocker spaniel
Boston Terrier
Lhaso Apso
GSD (had one when I was a kid and loved her )
St. Bernard
Min Pin
Golden Retriever
Catahoula Leopard Dog
Rottie
Labrador Retriever (any color)
Min Schnauzer
Sheltie
Italian Greyhound

I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of. I currently have wonderful mellow dogs right now, so I think it would be fun to have a bouncier dog next for like Agility,Jogging and biking.

catlover2
August 6th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Although I'm a "cat person" now, I do love dogs and had some as pets or a close relationship over the years: Rough Coated Collie, Collie/Shep mix, English Cocker Spaniel, Walker hound, Chow Chow, Saluki and Papillon. If I were to get another dog it would be probably a fairly small, long coated one for the cuddle factor! Also don't feel I could handle a big breed now. I don't like the wirey terrier coat nor the terrier personality so that would cut out a lot of breeds. Likely it would be, in no particular order of preference, a....

Papillon
Minature Poodle
Shih Tzu
Havenese
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel or cross
English Cocker Spaniel
Sheltie
Italian Greyhound (even tho they're shortcoated)
Whippet (someone mentioned a "longhired whippet", oh gr8! didn't know there was such a thing.

NoahGrey
August 6th, 2009, 01:00 PM
My favorite is the Entlebucher mountain dog.

http://www.pets.ca/breedprofiles/a/entlebucher/e3.htm

Pit bull

http://www.pets.ca/breedprofiles/a/americanpitbull/a12.htm

Staffy

http://www.pets.ca/breedprofiles/a/staffordshire/s30.htm

Rotti

http://www.pets.ca/breedprofiles/a/rottweiler/r9.htm

Vizla

http://www.pets.ca/breedprofiles/a/vizsla/v1.htm

Great dane

http://www.pets.ca/breedprofiles/a/greatdane/g3.htm

Australian cattle dog

http://www.pets.ca/breedprofiles/a/australiancattle/a17.htm

German Shep

http://www.pets.ca/breedprofiles/a/germanshepherd/g2.htm

ACO22

Bailey_
August 6th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I have a soft spot for the dogs that leaves everyone guessing and no one can tell what breed they are!! :lovestruck:

LooneyBoone
August 6th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Two breeds have always held a spot in the "I want" part of my brain, the Newfoundland Dog and St. Bernard. If I ever get the chance to get one it'll be from a rescue, but I'll always have myself a rescue mutt or two. :thumbs up

Frenchy
August 6th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I keep looking for the name of a breed ..... rare breed but they look just like pyrenees but bigger .... crap ..... I forgot about the freaking breed :wall:

anyway , add that one to my list :laughing:

Mat&Murph
August 6th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Ohhh my too many to name

English mastiff
Leonburger
Bermese Mountain Dog
Golden retrivers
Great Danes
My mind is at a blank!!!!!! I would take all of them though !!! :laughing: Now that I have had mastiff though They are truley a awsome breed!!!

Spatx
August 6th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I keep looking for the name of a breed ..... rare breed but they look just like pyrenees but bigger .... crap ..... I forgot about the freaking breed :wall:

Hmmm.. Would it be the Tatra Shepherd Dog by any chance? Just throwing out names hoping I'll get it right! lol

ancientgirl
August 6th, 2009, 03:11 PM
She is Mollywog. And I would love to post the pictures but I cannot re-size them. If you are offering...I could e-mail them to you perhaps?? For the 'rescue to now thread' perhaps???:D

If you open a photobucket account, it's free, you can download the photos to your account, and it will allow you to resize.:D

BenMax
August 6th, 2009, 03:12 PM
If you open a photobucket account, it's free, you can download the photos to your account, and it will allow you to resize.:D

The problem with this is that this computer is for 'work' - they would kill me if they knew I was installing something without their knowledge. Well, they would find out and then I would be 'slammed' big time.

Bailey_
August 6th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Are you talking about Maramas?

BenMax
August 6th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Hmmm.. Would it be the Tatra Shepherd Dog by any chance? Just throwing out names hoping I'll get it right! lol

No I think it would be called a 'Speciale Dogue de L'age D'or pour la French'. Yep - that's the dog she is thinking of....or maybe it's called 'chien avec trois patte sans voix, sans nez' - oops nope that would be Lucky Penny's!:D

ancientgirl
August 6th, 2009, 03:18 PM
The problem with this is that this computer is for 'work' - they would kill me if they knew I was installing something without their knowledge. Well, they would find out and then I would be 'slammed' big time.

It's not a program though, it's just a website. All you'd have to do is erase any history of going there on that computer. :D

But, I totally understand about work. I used to work for a woman who drove me nuts about stuff on the computer. And most of it was stuff I needed to do my job!:frustrated:

Dog Dancer
August 6th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Okay, I can't remember their breed either, but Lukka (RIP) and Mishka would be a fav for me, and just about any other large breed dog.

Have always loved
Borzoi's
Bernese Mtn Dogs
St. Bernards
Newfs
Danes
Pyrenees

But I've always had pure bred mutts, which I've loved just as much.

Frenchy
August 6th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Hmmm.. Would it be the Tatra Shepherd Dog by any chance?

Are you talking about Maramas?

no and no ....

I found it :lightbulb: Kuvasz ! http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dog-breeds-list.com/dog_breed_images/104/big/kuvasz-picture-4.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.dog-breeds-list.com/dog-breeds/104/kuvasz&usg=__08v0jdzuS9wqGfJNXo49Z4hXhr8=&h=323&w=405&sz=70&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=eS38Z5fMj56cGM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dkuvasz%2Bdog%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.mi crosoft:en-ca:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7ADBF_en%26sa%3DX%26um%3D1

and while searching for it , I also found Akbash and Polish tatra sheepdog , so put me down for one of each :D

we have a customer where I work that has a Polish tatra sheepdog , I've seen him as a puppy , the owner takes him everywhere with him ... and the owner is gorgeous too :cloud9: but married :sad:

Chaser
August 6th, 2009, 04:56 PM
no and no ....

I found it :lightbulb: Kuvasz ! http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dog-breeds-list.com/dog_breed_images/104/big/kuvasz-picture-4.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.dog-breeds-list.com/dog-breeds/104/kuvasz&usg=__08v0jdzuS9wqGfJNXo49Z4hXhr8=&h=323&w=405&sz=70&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=eS38Z5fMj56cGM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dkuvasz%2Bdog%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.mi crosoft:en-ca:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7ADBF_en%26sa%3DX%26um%3D1

I knew it! As soon as you mentioned it in relation to the Great Pyr....but I can't reply to posts properly on my Blackberry. They're beautiful :lovestruck: but VERY strong-willed. Too much for me i think, but Frenchy could handle one! :thumbs up

Dog Dancer
August 6th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Lukka and Mishka are Caucasian Ovcharka's. Couldn't remember the second word in the name... Oh and now I want a Kuvasz too.

maneater
August 6th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Ok, I am not even allowed to visit a shelter anymore or else hubby said were getting a divorce. But I have a soft spot for chi's. They always end up in shelters around here as being vicious and children haters and I have adopted some that are now my sons best friend. I would have more labs, greyhounds, hounds, whippets, oh basically anything that would give me the puppy dog take me home eyes.

babymomma
August 6th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I am REALLY developing an obsession with long haired whippetts and Newfs..

Longhaired whippet :cloud9:

How could you NOT want that :D

mollywog
August 6th, 2009, 09:39 PM
hahaha I had never heard of the Longhaired Whippets either! Cute!

Purpledomino
August 7th, 2009, 09:50 AM
This is my little list...

Bloodhound (I want one real bad!)
Basset
Staffy
Bull Terrier
American Bulldog
Doberman Pinscher (I have a soft spot for them)
English Mastiff

I would love to adopt these breeds, however I just know that I will eventually have another Bullmastiff and more Miniature Pinschers when the time comes because I cannot be without them. You never know though what kind of dog will steal your heart, and should I enter a shelter all this could fly out the window! :shrug:

Dog Dancer
August 7th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Oh I forgot Mastiffs too, but note that I did not include several breeds, I didn't list Pit Bulls or Staffies because I know that I am not disciplined enough to own one of them. I love them but know they'd walk all over me and end up being a bad example for the breed because I'd let them get away with waaay too much and it would be bad for them. Bad me, but good me because I know my limitations.

jfanta403
August 11th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Hmm... I like to own small dogs like, Golden Retriever friendly happy dogs with beautiful coats and Scruffy Terrier Mix the cutest dog in the world. Cute is fine. Just as with people love.

cpostelwait31
August 12th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Huge dog breed the one like to own one of that is the Bullmastiff. Huge size a natural protector with a strength like those with the bulldogs. Great Dane are also a good dog breed, but sometimes tend to have some problems.

SnowDancer
August 12th, 2009, 11:31 AM
The breed of my life - an Alpha mini Dachshund (benevolent though) - without the dreaded back/neck disc disease. Since I have already had these darlings and been through "h" and back with their horrible surgeries - I will just have to hope there is a Rainbow Bridge. I just can't go through that again - or put one of them through it.

We now have an American Eskimo - we love him dearly, but it is different - and I would never have 2 of them - the word is MES - Multiple Eskimo Syndrome. So we are now down to one dog - and since I am now 59 and my husband is 60 - and our dog is 5 - he will probably be our last dog if he lives to his expected age - I would be afraid to get a dog at age 70 - am worried enough as it is in case we die together - our will providing for our guy notwithstanding - you really have to rely on your executor to follow your wishes in Canada with dogs being chattels.

BMDLuver
August 13th, 2009, 02:21 PM
One day I will own a scottish deerhound. I have to wait for no cats or small dogs first as we don't wish for them to be considered live snacks! and then of course, it's a rescue so that can take several years.....

erykah1310
August 13th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I see myself with more and more Tibetan Mastiffs,

I would like to always have a rescue Am.Cocker Spaniel

Love to one day have a Great Dane, bulldog (french or english), Caucasion Ovcharka and thats all I can think of right now.
Other than TM's, I would rescue all the others

erykah1310
August 13th, 2009, 02:38 PM
That sounds bad, I would rescue any TM that crossed my path as well, but as for the other breeds I wouldn't seek out a breeder for them if I wanted them, with the exception of the CO, I don't see many of them in rescue

lUvMyLaB<3
August 13th, 2009, 08:49 PM
ooo my turn! I always dreamed of a well bred reg. Lab and i have her so all others will b the most desprate rescues. BUT if rescues were no longer needed i would want an english setter, havenese, chessie, std poodle, gsd, coton, pbgv, uhmm. .i know there are many more?

2Tollerz
August 13th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I'll have both Tollers and Dobermans forever. They're both perfect for me, but in different ways.

Other than those two, I don't have a big desire to seek out any other breeds. I used to think I wanted a Belgian Shepherd or a Border Collie, and still love them, but I've since learned that herding breeds aren't for me. Leonberger are beautiful as well, but I'm not sure I'll ever be in a position to own a giant breed. I'd love to have another Dalmatian someday though. Whether that'll happen or not, I don't know, but I adore them. :)

hazelrunpack
August 14th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I've always dreamed of owning English setters...lots of them....maybe 8 or so... :cloud9:

Oh.

Wait.

:o

Never mind.... :p

Frenchy
August 14th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I've always dreamed of owning English setters...lots of them....maybe 8 or so... :cloud9:

Oh.

Wait.

:o

Never mind.... :p

:laughing: :laughing:

tease :frustrated:

hazelrunpack
August 14th, 2009, 08:38 PM
You can always come for a visit. :D We're a very dog-friendly destination. :thumbs up

Frenchy
August 14th, 2009, 08:45 PM
You can always come for a visit. :D We're a very dog-friendly destination. :thumbs up

Call me when you rehome in Quebec :pray:

hazelrunpack
August 14th, 2009, 08:49 PM
:laughing: Will do! :thumbs up

TwistedAngel
August 15th, 2009, 10:58 PM
-blinks- A saluki of course. Feathered. Preferably Dadaelis (http://www.classicsaluki.com/dadaelis.htm) lines. Or a Finnish import.

:angel:

Not practical at the moment. I can wait. I'm a cat person, if there is one thing cat people require, its patience. :D