Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toronto Humane Society

kangaroo1
August 5th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Did anyone else see this?
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pet/1304988168.html

Toronto Humane Society breaks the Law

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-08-04, 9:12AM EDT
Reply to: comm-kh97f-1304988168@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toronto Humane Society is FLAGRANTELY breaking the Law.

I dropped by the Toronto Humane Society on River Street yesterday for the first time in about 8 months. I wanted to go see the small animals as I have considered getting another rabbit as mine passed away a few months ago of old age. Imagine my suprise when I was asked to fill out an adoption form with all my information before I could go back to look at them. Well I did what they asked, took the form up front and then I was asked to provide a piece of ID with my address on it, so I showed my drivers liscence.

The woman took the liscence, turned around and photocopied it, without asking me or stating she was going to copy it. When I asked if she just copied my liscence, she stated it was the new "policy" and that she would give me the copy once I came back out from the animals.

THIS IS ILLEGAL
She did not ask me if she could copy the liscence and I did NOT give conscent, informed or otherwise.
She did NOT delete the copy from the memory of the copier.
If someone tells you that the copier does not have a memory, then they are lying. Go ask any manufacturer...
This means anyone who has access to the copier has access to my personal information.
As well, she lept the copy on the TOP of the machine and not in a locked, secure location.

I strongly recommend that you DO NOT PROVIDE ANY PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION to them for coping or you are risking your identity.
All of our small animals have come from this location over the last 10 years, but I have decided to adopt elsewhere until they STOP. The public needs to be informed that they are breaking the Law.

According to Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada, "Privacy Commissioners have concluded that writing down the driver’s licence number from the card, or photocopying, “swiping” or otherwise reproducing the card itself, cannot be justified. The number may encode personal information such as the licensee’s birth date, and the card contains a photograph, signature and other personal information that exceeds what is needed for most business purposes. Don’t forget that privacy legislation requires you to protect the personal information you collect."

I HIGHLY recommend that you do as I have done and report them, as I have done, if they copy your information . They are copying something they have no right to and they are not storing it properly once they have.

Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
112 Kent Street, Tower B, 3rd Floor
Ottawa, ON K1A 1H3
Toll-free: 1-800-282-1376
Phone: (613) 995-8210
Fax: (613) 947-6850
TTY: (613) 992-9190
www.priv.gc.ca

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1304988168

Copyright 2009 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum