Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

7 yr old cat with problem

RampsAngl
August 4th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Hi, I have a 7 yr old Male cat that has been fixed. I just moved from MN to WA and ever since arriving his poop has been soft and smelly and there seems to be some blood in his poop also. he is his normal self, purring, wanting attention and getting under foot :) Its starting to get me worried and I have no clue where there is a good vet around here. I could really use some help and hopefully some kind of an answer. Thanks

sugarcatmom
August 4th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Is he an indoor cat or does he have access to the outdoors? Have you changed his food? As for finding a vet, this link might help: http://www.wsvma.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=62

RampsAngl
August 4th, 2009, 05:37 PM
He has always been an indoor cat, the move might have been hard on him being in a cat carrier for so long, made sure he had plenty of water the whole time. He has had flea problems in the past and is kinda hyper. I have had him in the vet before for licking himself raw and hair loss in the past. It took him a few days to get used to the new Apt. but really seems to be ok now. he is eating like a pig. no weight loss, he seems to be gaining some though :)

Thanks for the link

sugarcatmom
August 4th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I have had him in the vet before for licking himself raw and hair loss in the past.

This could also be related to food allergies, as can soft bloody stool. What does he eat?

RampsAngl
August 4th, 2009, 05:47 PM
before I moved he was eating meow mix original flavor. Since moving in with my son and his 1 cat, he is eating purina indoor cat chow. I had tried to switch his food in the past but he quit eating. So was surprised to see him eating the indoor cat food.

sugarcatmom
August 4th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Yup, cats can be very picky, that's for sure. They have a built-in defence mechanism to be suspicious of new foods as adults, so as not to accidently eat something toxic. The way that a new food is introduced can play a big role in whether a cat accepts it or not. It's best to do it very gradually, starting with just a tiny amount mixed in to their old food until they get used to the new smell and taste. This also helps avoid intestinal upsets.

The reason I'm explaining this is because it would really be in your cat's best interest to find a better food than either the Meow Mix or the Cat Chow. I'm willing to bet these foods are a big part of what is and has been wrong with him, and your vet bills are only going to get bigger if you can't switch him to a higher quality wet food. Here is a very readable link (written by one of the few vets that knows something about feline nutrition) on what cats should and shouldn't be eating: http://www.catinfo.org/ Please check it out, including the part about how to transition a kibble addict over to wet food. Your cat will thank you!

RampsAngl
August 4th, 2009, 06:38 PM
thanks I was hoping it might be something simple and was hoping it wasn't worms or something

growler~GateKeeper
August 5th, 2009, 02:18 AM
It is also possible this was a result of stress from the move, however when you add in a quick food change at the same time the results may be more noticible and longer lasting. I agree with Sugarcatmom in finding a higher quality grain-free canned food for both the cats :)

RampsAngl
August 5th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks so much to both of you, you acually put my mind at ease. I have had him since he was a kitten and he is my baby since my own baby is now 27 :)

rainbow
August 5th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I agree with Sugarcatmom and Growler and think both you and your son should switch both cats to a better quality food. The website that Sugarcatmom gave you ( http://www.catinfo.org/ ) has lots of excellent information. :thumbs up

If you have any trouble transitioning them come back here for advice as they have excellent tips for helping you do this. :)