Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is it ok for kitten to play rough with dog?

pamha
August 3rd, 2009, 09:59 PM
We`ve had our kitten about 6 weeks. The dog wasn`t real sure about her at first, but now they are playing together all the time. Mischief (kitten) grabs & bites at Lola`s face, while Lola nuzzles her & makes growley talk noises. Once in awhile I`ll hear a cry from Lola, but she wants to keep on playing :crazy: I`ll separate them if it looks too intense. I`ve never seen anything like this, and it scares me at times because Lola is so much bigger, and not sure the kitten is playing or fighting, she just looks SO intense.

Is this a good thing, because they`re bonding? Lola tries to defend Mischief from our older cat- she`s not aggressive, but will growl or swat when Mischief bothers her, and gets Lola all excited.
Or is it something we should discourage? They both could use playmates of their own species, but that isn`t going to happen.

TacoGrl
August 3rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
It's a good thing they are getting along! :thumbs up

Boundaries will be set and by the sounds of it, they are doing just that. :)

Jim Hall
August 3rd, 2009, 10:06 PM
lola will run away if it gets to painfull and yiye se miscdef isnt out to hrt her

ya i love the super intense look cats get

Chaser
August 3rd, 2009, 10:57 PM
My Shepherd plays rough with the cat all the time. If your kitty has had enough, she'll speak up! Just be sure she has a place to go that your dog can't get to in case the kitten wants a break.

In general I think it's a very good thing that they are doing this. I know I would worry about my cat getting lonely if it wasn't for him playing with Kailey all the time! :laughing:

rainbow
August 4th, 2009, 01:14 AM
My 6 yr old siamese x plays rough with both my dogs and seems to enjoy every minute of it. :D

Longblades
August 4th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I have found a very slight disadvantage to letting a kitten play roughly with my dog. The kittens did not learn bite inhibition and thus played roughly with us too. Earlier attention to this on our part would probably have nipped it in the bud. I imagine this would depend a lot on the dog involved too but ours had lots of tolerance and permitted biting around her neck and would not remonstrate with wee kittens. Or big cats. Another disadvantage was the kittens preferred to play with the dog over us but we got so much enjoyment out of watching them it didn't matter that we were not the preferred playmates.