Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

August weight loss

Rottielover
August 1st, 2009, 09:05 PM
Hey all, we used to have an on going thread for the humans weight loss. I guess others like myself have been crazy busy, and disoriented lately.
I have decided to give this another try.
For the past couple months I have been going on a emotional roller coaster, I have to admit eating habits were not the greatest. I did continue to go to the gym, but I have managed to put back on 5 lbs. May not seem like a lot to some, but for me that is a whole month of hard work lost.
I have decided, enough with my pity party at home, and to start right back on track.
I am now 172 lbs, hopefully to goal weight of 160 lbs before the new years.
I have started up Taebo again, and put a before pic on my fridge, this way if I go for food for comfort, I can see what can happen.

So For all of those people who are on the same journey as I am, come join, positive and negative. We all can use a little motivation to see where we want to go.

TacoGrl
August 1st, 2009, 09:37 PM
I was not in on this before, but I have turned into a couch potato and this sounds like a wonderful idea!

It's funny, I eat healthy, but I don't exercise much. I like to bike, but I hate having to get my bike downstairs, load it into the truck and drive to a place to bike (I am usually so pissed by the drivers in this city by the time I get anywhere)...nothing around here but busy streets. Same thing with walking...there is a lot of crime around here the last few years and I just don't feel safe...I tried forming a walking group in the building, but that didn't turn out very well...lots of people with the "yea, that's a good idea" not so many people with the "yea let's go!" :rolleyes:

I guess my main issue is I don't like to do things by myself. I quit drinking a few years ago, lost friends and just haven't been able to replace them with more positive ones willing to go for walks or rides or whatever. I have no idea where to find them. :sad:

I look forward to reading how some of you are tackling weight loss...you know, real people, not those show biz ones with personal trainers, chefs blah blah blah.

I am tired of being fat (5'9" 240lbs), but I don't really know where to start. :shrug:

Love4himies
August 1st, 2009, 09:40 PM
For those of us who have struggled with weight our whole lives, putting back 5 lbs is a big deal and a month of struggle :grouphug: to you.

I have gained back just over 10lbs since my weight loss and am not happy about it so I know how you feel.

I have to say you do look terrific, rottielover. :thumbs up

Rottielover
August 1st, 2009, 09:50 PM
As to where to start, remember it is a life style change and not a diet, that will help you on your way. Write down the reasons why you want to lose the weight, stick it on the fridge, and put a before picture with it.
If you do not like doing things outside the home, I love Tae bo, it is fun and a great work out.
For 1 week write a journal of EVERYTHING you put in your mouth, substitute juice for water juice = empty calories. Do not starve yourself, still allow yourself to eat the goodies, just portion controlled and not as often.
Hope that may help you.
Here is a pic of me before, and me now.
Just remember putting it on took time, so will taking it off.

TacoGrl
August 1st, 2009, 11:34 PM
What a change...good for you! :thumbs up

We have almost the same hair style and colour only mind is a bit more brown...don't you just love how bouncy it is?!?

That is good advice, thanks...remember it is a life style change and not a diet...makes sense...you go off a diet and gain it back...if you live it, it will become a part of you.

I have been interested in Taebo, but am weery of things I see on TV...I will go to the library and take out a copy though...I like to do that before I actually buy something sometimes...kinda thrifty I am :rolleyes:

I see people in the park doing some kind of stretches in groups, but I have always been too shy to ask them what they are doing...I will stop next time I see them.

Rottielover
August 2nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
How is everyone doing today. I have to say feel amazing, had a kids b-day party to go to, all the tempting stuff, I had a chicken wrap, and lots of veggies, a couple pretzels and 1/2 bite of cake. I have to say I did a lot better than I thought I would.
Did not get much walking in because of the rain, but will be doing Tae bo tonight to make up for that.

How did everyone else do?

joeysmama
August 3rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
Rottielover you gave everyone great advice about how it took a while to put the weight on you have to be patient about taking it off.

I've never been what other people consider overweight but the past few years I had put on enough weight to feel very uncomfortable. I had to go up a size or really strain the seams. The problem is I'm diabetic and my doctor told me to avoid insulin I would have to lose weight. I really really really want to avoid insulin. My father and brother have always been diabetic since before I was born so I know it's a balancing act witht he insulin, and I also know that people can gain weight from it too.

And here's the kicker--I work on a diet and nutrition website. I don't know if we're allowed to say on here but it's a healthy lifstyle program. You wouuld know if if I said it--it's sponsored by someone famous who is so healthy and looks fantastic !!

Anyway...still with healthy eating my sugar was going up and up. Because I'm a lazy git. So I finally got my act together and joined a Jazzercise gym. I'm at a healthy weight now and my sugar has dropped. I don't eat red meat, dairy or refined sugar. I eat things made with sucanat, honey, molasses.

I don't have a choice really. I only have one kidney and diabetes is really hard on the kidneys so I HAVE TO keep it under control. Also, I'm a cancer patient and cancer feeds on sugar. So this is important but I have a friend who is sooo bitchy and always tells me that I look awful and that everyone says so. :frustrated:

Rottielover
August 5th, 2009, 08:17 PM
THINGS I NEED TO REMEMBER:
*Weight loss doesn't happen over night.
*If I screw up one day, just keep on going!
*You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be.
*Your goals, minus your doubts, equal your reality.
*No matter who you are, no matter what you do, you absolutely, positively do havethe power to change.
*I shall shape my future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.
I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me. Or I can be lost in the maze. My choice.
My responsibility. Win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.

ancientgirl
August 7th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Hi guys! I decided to join the thread since I have gotten off my big fat butt and joined a gym. :D

I've been chubby all my life, but in my 20's lost a lot of weight. I kept it off for a long time. I yo-yoed for many years. Spent my 30's around 135-140, a weight I think I look best at. But in the last several years, what with my depression issues and just getting lazy, I'm not at 188. OY!

So, I joined a gym on Tuesday. My plan is to go at least 4-5 times a week. I've also changed my way of eating a little. I am a vegetarian, but I was eating WAY too many carbs, so I've cut back on those considerably.

I decided my goal is to get back down to 140-145. I've got a long way to go, but I'll get there.

Rottielover
August 7th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Hey and welcome. Do you have a before pic, this way you can watch your progress as well.
Today I did not do do badly, only 25 mins on treadmill, but walked awhile with the dogs.
Eating has not been too bad. I tried to get the energy tonight for Tae bo, lasted 15 mins, now want to sleep, LOL

ancientgirl
August 8th, 2009, 06:38 AM
No, I don't have a picture yet. I thought about that yesterday and realized I need batteries in my camera. But I could take one from my phone. I'll get one some way this week.

My neighbor, China the boxer's mom, does body competitions. She looks amazing, you should see her before shots! Anyway, her parents are trainers and own a gym, and next Wednesday they are having a nutritionist come in for an hour, so I'm going to that. She also gave me a very simple recipe for a protein pancake. It's very filling and gives you a lot of energy. I've been having it in the mornings. Here's the recipe:

6 egg whites
3/4 cups of oatmeal (or 6 tablespoons)
3 packages of splenda
dash of cinnamon

That's it. I also add a bit of vanilla and if you aren't dieting you can add a bit of cottage cheese.

You put all that in a blender and mix.

Spray a frying pan with some Pam and pour the mix. Then you can add fruit. Blueberries, peaches, bananas, whatever.

ancientgirl
August 12th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Okay, so as some of you know, I started working out last week. I was good and went to the gym Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri and Sat. Now, this week, I went on Monday, but yesterday afternoon I got my monthly nightmare. I felt horrible, and all I could think of was just going home taking some pills and doing nothing. So I did that.

This morning, I woke up feeling okay, but now I feel like doodoo again.

Those of you that work out, do you just work through it or do you take a few days off until you start to get over it? Maybe I'm just being a wimp.:rolleyes:

Rottielover
August 12th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I keep my routine through it as hard as it may be. I work my upper body and cardio my very bad days and abs :) you will find what works for you. Keep at the great work.

ancientgirl
August 12th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks. I'll gauge myself once I get going on the treadmill. If it's not too bad I'll keep my usual routine. Hopefully by the time I leave here I won't feel as bad.