Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Monsoon season at my house

edwina
July 31st, 2009, 08:09 AM
This is my yard when it rains too much for the ditches to carry away. Which is several times a year. :frustrated:

edwina
July 31st, 2009, 08:11 AM
A couple more. :frustrated:

Love4himies
July 31st, 2009, 09:14 AM
Holy smokes, that's a lot of rain :eek:. How long does it take for it to drain off?

bendyfoot
July 31st, 2009, 09:22 AM
:DJaida says she would like to come to your place to inspect those puddles...

Love4himies
July 31st, 2009, 09:49 AM

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

CearaQC
July 31st, 2009, 12:06 PM
Wow that is a lot of rain!

:laughing::laughing:

edwina
July 31st, 2009, 12:18 PM
Holy smokes, that's a lot of rain :eek:. How long does it take for it to drain off?

Well we have had 4 inches so far this morning. :mad: So it is still there. I just had to go get another water pump because ours wasnt pumping fast enough. I of course had to go through several road closed signs to get to the store. :frustrated:
If it stops raining it usually dont take long to go down, but the yard will sit in water because it drains slow. :sad:

edwina
July 31st, 2009, 12:20 PM

:D How big is Jaida ? Some of these puddles are deep. :D

14+kitties
July 31st, 2009, 12:22 PM
Yeah, looks like ours lately. It's been raining every second day here. In the city nearest us there has been so much flooding it's ridiculous. Six inches in three hours one day last week. People are being flooded out of their homes and it's happened so often to them that insurance compainies are saying they won't pay out for flooding any more. It's a sad sad thing. You can't change Mother Nature. :frustrated:
Hopefully yours won't take long to go away.

bendyfoot
July 31st, 2009, 12:23 PM
Jaida says "the deeper the better". If she could fully submerge her face and blow bubbles, they would pass her scrutiny.:D

edwina
July 31st, 2009, 12:30 PM
Yeah, looks like ours lately. It's been raining every second day here. In the city nearest us there has been so much flooding it's ridiculous. Six inches in three hours one day last week. People are being flooded out of their homes and it's happened so often to them that insurance compainies are saying they won't pay out for flooding any more. It's a sad sad thing. You can't change Mother Nature. :frustrated:
Hopefully yours won't take long to go away.

Yeah i dont live close enough here to a water way to get flood insurance. We get water run off from everyone elses land above us because they dont want to dig a ditch near the road with a road tile. In fact i had a dispute with the guy who owns the land across from us, he tried to close off the road tile that goes in front of our property , under the road, and into his field. It has been that way for as long as i can remember. The township told him he had to dig a ditch if he dont want the water there. So after he paid some guy several hundred dollars to close it off (illegally), i called the township people and they came and dug it back out. He really dont like me. :D

Bina
July 31st, 2009, 03:15 PM
Wow, that looks nasty....Do you have a basement to worry about?

rainbow
July 31st, 2009, 03:57 PM
OMD :eek: .....Rainbow doesn't like rain so I think I'd move. :D

chico2
July 31st, 2009, 04:32 PM
OM,that's a lot of water:frustrated:
My son lives in Hamilton,Ontario, and they have a lot of mayor flooding,luckily not him...
We've had so much rain,my weeping Mulberry is totally moldy,same with my potted Geraniums:yell:

edwina
July 31st, 2009, 04:52 PM
Wow, that looks nasty....Do you have a basement to worry about?
Yeah thats why i needed a second pump, In dad's house we have to worry about the oil furnace and the hot water heater, which are both up on blocks to begin with, but the water was just about in them. :frustrated:
I will be glad to be getting a new house next year with my boyfriend, no cellar/basement. YEY! :rolleyes:

edwina
July 31st, 2009, 04:57 PM
Jaida says "the deeper the better". If she could fully submerge her face and blow bubbles, they would pass her scrutiny.:D

Then she would love it in our yard in the spring and summer. :D
Most of my cats were nice and dry in the kitty pavilions , but my guinea birds, who decided they needed to walk around in all the water, were soaked. The female is nesting now, so she pulled out alot of her feathers for the nest, so didnt she look good wet. :laughing:

CearaQC
July 31st, 2009, 05:03 PM
Yeah thats why i needed a second pump, In dad's house we have to worry about the oil furnace and the hot water heater, which are both up on blocks to begin with, but the water was just about in them. :frustrated:
I will be glad to be getting a new house next year with my boyfriend, no cellar/basement. YEY! :rolleyes:

But do you have a spring under the basement floor that cracks up the concrete laid on top of it?:laughing::laughing:

Our water heater, big freezer and furnace are all up on blocks too. But there's one tiny hole that just spews water because there's a spring underneath the concrete. But luckily the pump can handle it. And our soil is probably 90% sand so water never sticks around very long.

If you have high speed internet I can link you to a couple of permaculture videos where people designed landscapes to be able to handle water like that and never flood. But you need a big bucket machine to come in and haul dirt around!:laughing: If you keep having flooding problems it would give you a solution.

edwina
July 31st, 2009, 05:12 PM
But do you have a spring under the basement floor that cracks up the concrete laid on top of it?:laughing::laughing:
Our water heater, big freezer and furnace are all up on blocks too. But there's one tiny hole that just spews water because there's a spring underneath the concrete. But luckily the pump can handle it. And our soil is probably 90% sand so water never sticks around very long.

Our neighbor said that when he was small , they used to ice skate in our yard before any of the houses were built, because he said there was a spring there. I have no idea, i have never seen one though. Unfortunetly, our soil is mostly clay, so that is why the water hangs around a while. :sad:

Dee-O-Gee
July 31st, 2009, 05:37 PM

Especially if you threw rocks under the water to dive for and make bubbles! :D

Wow that's a lot of water Edwina! :eek: Hopefully the sun gods will shine upon you soon! :thumbs up

edwina
August 1st, 2009, 08:16 AM
If you have high speed internet I can link you to a couple of permaculture videos where people designed landscapes to be able to handle water like that and never flood. But you need a big bucket machine to come in and haul dirt around!:laughing: If you keep having flooding problems it would give you a solution.

I wouldnt mind seeing those, if you have the links. :)

kiara
August 1st, 2009, 12:25 PM
That is a lot of rain, no need to fill the bird bath! We have had so much rain here, my driveway has moss growing on it. You would think, we are in England!