Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Trimming dog nails?

jazzy
July 30th, 2009, 11:46 PM
How do you get the pup to let you?

I have a 3 month old pup who needs his nails trimmed. He lets me hold him just fine, but as soon as he sees the clippers he whines and wrestles out of my grip.

I've started to hold him and holding his paws like I'm going to clip them while saying 'good boy.' But as soon as I pick up the clippers he freaks out. Help?

Shaykeija
July 30th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Hmmm use two people and a pack of weiners. The one person holds him and feeds him small pieces and the other person clips away. We did this with Akeija, she learned nails got done and she got weiners.

hazelrunpack
July 30th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Three months is a good age to start getting them used to nail-trimming! Start by playing with his toes. Even play with them when he's napping. :D Just sneak up on him and begin gently handling his toes and nails.

Get him on good terms with the nail clipper--try putting some peanut butter on the handle and let him lick it off. Lay the clipper on the bed next to him when he's sleeping so he sees it when he wakes up. Carry it around with you till he's used to seeing it with you.

We have an older dog (got her when she was 2) that is still getting used to the nail trimmer. What I did with her was start very slowly. Once she was used to me handling her tootsies and became 'good friends' with the clipper, I did one nail one morning while she was lying down. Didn't clip off as much as it needed...just a sliver. Then I gave her a treat. She didn't freak out, so I did another nail, treated again, then stopped. The next day I did the remaining two nails on the foot (treating each time with a small treat), then did another two on a different paw for good measure.

Eventually we graduated to doing all the nails on one paw before treating and moving to the next. And now she has finally allowed me to do all four paws before getting her treat! :thumbs up

Of course this is going to take time, so if his nails are getting really, really bad, you might want to have a vet or a trusted groomer do them for a while till he allows you to do it. :o

hazelrunpack
July 30th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Okay, the wiener trick sounds good, too! :laughing:

sasha101
July 31st, 2009, 12:32 AM
This is a common sense thing, but if a dog has had someone cut their quick, which is very painful, it could put the dog off for good, after all, would you like someone to rip your nails below the quick ? ewww not I ! I was so paranoid about hurting our new dog (black lab with black claws) I let the vet do it the first time. My older girl has white claws so I can see the quick, but the black claws are really hard to see,Ive tried shining a torch under them but not much luck, so I can only say persevere, little by little as Hazel said :-)

Gail P
July 31st, 2009, 01:19 AM
With pups I always start doing nails when they're sleeping. Sometimes they don't even notice when I begin trimming and if they wake up they are usually kind of groggy so they stay calm and quiet. They end up growing up used to having their nails done with no struggling.