Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I am looking for advise.

realdeal
July 30th, 2009, 11:31 PM
I am an axious future bird owner and wanting some advice with what has happened with the past few weeks. My friend took a vacation for just over a week and asked me to bird sit.The night before he got back, the bird flew into the kitchen and on his flight back my cat swatted at him. He was taken to the vet, and we learned he needed stitches. I do not want to lose him as a friend and am trying to get unbias advise. Who or what percent is responsible for the bill. I feel guilty so obviously I am responsible for some, but is he?

luckypenny
July 30th, 2009, 11:51 PM
If he knows you have a cat, and he doesn't mind you letting his bird fly around your home, then he should also have known there are risks...as should you have. Perhaps suggesting splitting the bill equally with him :shrug:? :fingerscr birdie heals quickly.

realdeal
July 31st, 2009, 12:02 AM
Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." -Will Durant

I really like this one and thanks for the advise. If there are any others who agree or disagree with this I am really interested to hear from you. The more opinions the better. I really don't want to make the wrong decision. Thanks again.

realdeal
July 31st, 2009, 12:04 AM
PS he has already been taken care of it is just a matter of settling the bill

MyBirdIsEvil
July 31st, 2009, 01:00 AM
Ethically it seems like you should pay 100% of the bill because you were 100% responsible for watching the bird since your friend was not there and you agreed to do so.

If it was something completely accidental I could understand splitting the bill or something but you probably should have known your cat could be dangerous to the bird. You may not be very knowledgeable about birds but cat owners know the nature of cats is to go after birds.

If your friend said something like "Nah, don't worry about the cat, it will be fine," I could see them being responsible because you were just doing what they said, but I really don't know any responsible bird owners that would do that.

JMO.

Bina
July 31st, 2009, 03:17 PM
If the bird just got sick for no obvious reason, then he pays.
Since it was your cat (your property) that caused the injury to his bird, you are responsible. Sorry.

BenMax
July 31st, 2009, 03:24 PM
I disagree - I think that it should be 50-50. He asked her to sit, she was kind enough to do so. It was (I assume) an accident and not intentional.

Bina
July 31st, 2009, 03:48 PM
I should be specific....were you getting paid to bird sit?
If yes, then you are more likely to be in a position of being held responsible for the safety of his bird.
If you were just doing a favour for a friend, then it's up to being discussed and most people will agree on 50/50.

MyBirdIsEvil
July 31st, 2009, 04:30 PM
It was an easily avoidable accident is my problem. As a cat owner you should know your cat is a danger to birds. They should have been kept away from each other (unless the owner specifically said it was ok, in that case I agree the owner should pay).

I don't think it matters whether they were being paid to birdsit or not, they took responsibility for the bird's wellbeing either way.