Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What can I do with egg yolks?

ancientgirl
July 30th, 2009, 07:57 PM
My neighbor is going to give me her recipe for protein pancakes. I know they have 6 egg whites in them, but no yolks.

I'd hate to just throw away the yolks. Can I mix the yolks maybe with some food, or fry it up for them or maybe just scramble them and let them lick it?

Do you guys know if it's too much cholesterol for them?

sugarcatmom
July 30th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Lightly scrambled with a bit of butter. Nummy! Or you can try it raw. Well not YOU, but the cats. My guy doesn't like eggs, but maybe you'll have better luck. Oh, and cholesterol really isn't an issue for cats.

CearaQC
July 30th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Make lemon pie filling!

1 1/2 c. sugar
3 tbsp. cornstarch
3 tbsp. flour
Dash of salt
1 1/2 c. hot water
3 slightly beaten egg yolks
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. lemon peel
1/3 c. lemon juice

Mix first 4 ingredients, add hot water slowly, stir and cook on high until boiling. Reduce heat, cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks, add to hot mixture. Boil again and cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat and add butter, lemon peel and lemon juice. Mix well, cool and fill pie shell.

Or homemade mayo. Usually calls for two egg yolks.

ancientgirl
July 30th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Lightly scrambled with a bit of butter. Nummy! Or you can try it raw. Well not YOU, but the cats. My guy doesn't like eggs, but maybe you'll have better luck. Oh, and cholesterol really isn't an issue for cats.

SCM, I knew I could count on you for suggestions. Vlad and Oksana like scrambled, but I've only ever made it with whole eggs. But, I imagine it will just be a little thicker and richer with no whites. Thanks, I'll make some for them this weekend.

CearaQC, I'm trying to stay away from sweets. :D and I've never been a huge mayo fan.

CearaQC
July 30th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Ah well hubby and I are "foodies" and like good homemade food from scratch, but everything in moderation of course and absolutely no premade junk food in a box or bag.

But you could always make a lemon pie for someone as a nice gesture and don't have to eat it yourself.

You didn't specify what you liked/didn't like to eat and only asked what to do with extra egg yolks. :laughing: I can't read minds but tried to be helpful.

Melinda
July 30th, 2009, 09:30 PM
use them whipped as a "creme" rince for your hair, whip them, shampoo your hair, then lather the egg yolks on, work it in good and leave on for 5-15 minutes, then rince....shiney shiney hair.

lUvMyLaB<3
July 30th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I have given rescue cats that have shown up here in bad shape egg yolks lots before, whip them and mix it on food, or on top or ground meat. There are SO many nutrients in egg yolks, can help a cat in bad shape get some vigor back, and helps their coat, so I am sure it is fine for healthy cats too, I wouldn't give one cat all 6 yolks, but try and see if they like them, they are healthy so it would make a great treat! I have never had a cat turn it down on top of ground up meat!

growler~GateKeeper
July 31st, 2009, 02:51 AM
You can try offering them to the cats raw whipped up, Duffy loves virgin eggnog - just egg with (or without) a teensy bit of milk added :D

Love4himies
July 31st, 2009, 08:04 AM
My cats love raw egg yolks, they are filled with b vitamins, very important for kittays!

Let us know if they like them.

ancientgirl
July 31st, 2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

I just wasn't sure if the raw yolk was okay to give them. I'll see if they go for it this evening.

Tundra_Queen
August 1st, 2009, 08:54 PM
raw egg yolks? I'm going to try giving my kitties that too. Maybe I can get Willie to finally eat raw something. Thanks for the question AG! :thumbs up

Love4himies
August 1st, 2009, 09:27 PM
Well, AG, did they like them?

Dracko
August 1st, 2009, 09:49 PM
You could also buy a carton of egg whites from the grocery store. Here they are about $3.50. I buy them all the time so I don't waste the yolks if I need only whites.

ancientgirl
August 2nd, 2009, 10:27 AM
L4H, Vlad and Maks are the only ones that liked them raw. Oksana will have a few bites of the cooked kind, but Kiska and Czari weren't interested.:D

Dracko, I thought about just getting a carton of whites, but they were close to $6.00 and it was a small carton. I split the recipe in half, so I can stretch out my egg carton longer, and I don't necessarily have to have them daily.

Love4himies
August 2nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Do you have a way to freeze the yolks for Vlad and Maks so they don't go to waste? Maybe the girls will have some later?

ancientgirl
August 2nd, 2009, 10:56 AM
Do you have a way to freeze the yolks for Vlad and Maks so they don't go to waste? Maybe the girls will have some later?

Can yolks be frozen?

Love4himies
August 2nd, 2009, 11:18 AM
Not sure. The only way to find out is to try it.

I mix egg yolk in my homemade raw and it seems to be OK.

ancientgirl
August 2nd, 2009, 11:37 AM
I'll freeze a couple next time and see. I can put them in an ice tray.