Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Laundry help please!

TacoGrl
July 30th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Ok so brainiac here decided to put some bleach in with her whites to "freshen" them up...well, her white cotton Tees are now yellowish :wall:

Is there any way to get the yellow out?!? :cry:

lUvMyLaB<3
July 30th, 2009, 07:31 PM
depends what happened.. Did you use too much bleach? Or is it your water? If you used the right amount of bleach on bleachables, they should have been ok. Perhaps the items were not safe for chlorine bleach? I am a fan of bleach, use it all the time, cuz I have 3 kids.. I have a tank top that has lace on the racer back part of it, and it went yellow with some bleach, that was my fault, that lace material was not safe to bleach, the rest of the shirt is ok. If that is what happened, there is nothing you can do, but wask it a couple times in plain hot water, then try and re-dye them. But if it is your water, washing them in soap and hot water might help. Good luck! ... how many was in your load?

Chaser
July 30th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Not sure how to fix this situation, but some future advice: Buy a big tub of OxyClean!!!! It brightens, removes stains....it's like a laundry miracle, and it has never harmed a single piece of my clothing! :thumbs up

Heck, you could even give it a shot with the yellowed shirts....certianly can't make it worse. :fingerscr

TacoGrl
July 30th, 2009, 07:49 PM
It was me, not my water :sad: I only have the two white tees and now they are yellow :sad:

It's funny, I usually presoak the other things in bleach and throw them in the washer with the tees and nothing happens...this time I decided to put the bleach in the dispenser and throw everything in together :sad:

Does dying really work? Like that RIT dye stuff?

EDIT: I will pick up some of the OXY stuff and give it a try...I have heard about it, but didn't know anyone who had actually used it...thx :)

joeysmama
July 30th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I haven't tried it yet but I've heard that a product calle blu-e or blu-ing or something like that will get the whites white again. I have a front loader and it's made for top loaders so I have to figure out a way to get it to work for me. They have it in the grocery store by the laundrey supplies. It comes in a dark blue bottle with white letters.

TacoGrl
July 30th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I have seen that...never knew what is was for...guess I could have read the label :loser:

My mom says she has some RIT whitener left over she can give me to try too...I am going the FREE route first! :D

luckypenny
July 30th, 2009, 11:47 PM
EDIT: I will pick up some of the OXY stuff and give it a try...

My mom says she has some RIT whitener left over she can give me to try too...I am going the FREE route first! :D

Whichever one you decide, make sure your t-shirts are double rinsed first as bleach mixed with other chemicals can cause some pretty nasty/toxic gasses :eek:.

TacoGrl
July 31st, 2009, 10:48 AM
Whichever one you decide, make sure your t-shirts are double rinsed first as bleach mixed with other chemicals can cause some pretty nasty/toxic gasses :eek:.

Thx for the heads up! I didn't think about that...I will run them through a couple of cycles first.

edwina
July 31st, 2009, 01:25 PM
We have hard water here, i have to use a water softener with my detergent for white clothing, because they go yellow after about 3 washes. :sad:
Needless to say i dont wear alot of white. :rolleyes:

lUvMyLaB<3
July 31st, 2009, 02:49 PM
yes try the RIT, works well! Was your city flushing water mains? That could be it!! That will cause some yellow water, perhaps that is what happened! Try cleaning them with oxy clean or something! sudden brain wave!

badabing
August 7th, 2009, 06:17 AM
That happened to me. I used Rit Color remover and my yellowed whites were white again.

TacoGrl
August 7th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I tried both rit and oxy and nothing :shrug: I have two new "around the house" shirts now.

kandy
August 10th, 2009, 04:48 PM
For whites that cannot be bleached, the bluing agent will make them look whiter. And in certain types of water, the bluing agent works better than bleach for making the whites brighter. If the RIT doesn't work, the bluing agent should make them look white again.

Oh, and Oxyclean is awesome stuff. I keep a spray bottle premixed with it and water - I use it on 'dog stains' on the carpet or when I had a fabric couch. It can discolor sometimes, so always test it on an inconspicuous place first. :)

hazelrunpack
August 10th, 2009, 05:05 PM
It might have been excess iron in your water, TacoGrl. There is a product called "Iron Out"...foul smelling in the washer and the water turns opaque brown...but it will definitely get the iron out, if that's what discolored the tees.

otter
August 10th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Tacogirl, I had that happen to my fav. white shirt... though not the whole shirt, I tried to beach out a spot and just made it worse.

My mom informed me that if the shirt has any lycra/polyester in it bleach will make it go yellow... no fix for it. Nowadays they put a bit of stretchy stuff in lots of cotton products to help them keep their fit better, the trade off... no bleaching!!

Sorry the ones you have can't be fixed (though you can dye them another colour), but good to know for future stuff. Read those labels REALLY carefully