Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

First Gray Hair

Smiley14
July 29th, 2009, 07:22 PM
My hairdresser found a single gray hair today. I don't know why, but it hit me hard! I wanted to cry, LOL! Of course I had her pull it. :evil: I'm only 33, too young for grays! Stupid stress.

diandpat
July 29th, 2009, 07:51 PM
33????? OMG I have had them since I was 25!!!!! It's only hair...don't cry, dye:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Shaykeija
July 29th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Do not pull it out. They multiply by the thousands if you do. Use natural chemical enhancement......Dye job..LOL

Frenchy
July 29th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Use natural chemical enhancement......Dye job..LOL

I say go with chemical too :thumbs up

dmc123
July 29th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I disagree with dye/chemicals. I have many gray hairs since mid 30's, now 47. My hairdresser says let's cover it...I say, I've earned them.

Seriously though, if the gray bothers you, cover it up. I just won't.

Diane

rainbow
July 29th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I got my first grey hair when I was 22. I pulled them out until my late twenties when I started colouring which I continued until I was 50. I was getting greyer and greyer and hated the damage it was doing to my hair so when we moved here in 1998 I forced myself to go au natural since nobody knew me here. :D

Frenchy
July 29th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I disagree with dye/chemicals. I have many gray hairs since mid 30's, now 47. My hairdresser says let's cover it...I say, I've earned them.

One of my coworkers has stopped dying hers , it's now black and grey , short haircut , looks pretty good to me !

I think it's all in the way you "sport" your hair, I like when women leave their hair long , and keep it natural as they grow old. To me it says : I'm a woman , hear me roar ! :thumbs up

Smiley14
July 29th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I've never had my hair dyed before, I just usually do a highlight foil on the top and that's what she did again today. I know, I know, it's not the end of the world, just kind of threw me I guess. :o I still feel too young to be aging!

TacoGrl
July 29th, 2009, 09:48 PM
This is certainly a debate with no right/wrong answers. LoL!

I think dyed hair makes a woman look younger and out in the working world now days, this is not a bad thing :shrug:

I think grey done in the right style for a person's face can look quite elegant :shrug:

I think this way for both men and women :shrug:

I too have grey hairs...starting to get too many to pull out, but I keep trying :rolleyes: I just don't want to go the dye route yet...once you start, it becomes like the Energizer bunny...going going going :frustrated:

Smiley14
July 29th, 2009, 10:51 PM
LOL, very true!

My Mom dyes her hair and I'll probably end up doing the same someday as we have ugly mousy blond hair that doesn't look good with gray otherwise. If it was the really pretty silvery gray, I'd totally leave it. So most likely, I'll end up having to dye someday. But I really hate the idea of having to upkeep it. Not a decision I have to make for a while (hopefully!!) at least! :laughing:

hazelrunpack
July 29th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I'm with Diane--I've earned those gray hairs!! I refuse to cover them up. My grays actually have some body to them, too--as opposed to my limp, fine, mousy-brown 'young' hairs... Only problem is I'm used to very long hair that I braid...and the grays fall out when they get shoulder length. :shrug: My braid is gonna start lookin' really funky and skimpy toward the end soon :laughing:

And Smiley...if you think the first gray on your head is traumatic? Wait till you find the first one at your 'nether end'...so to speak :o

:laughing:

Smiley14
July 29th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Hazel! :eek:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Guess I have something to look forward to. :laughing:

hazelrunpack
July 30th, 2009, 12:08 AM
If you look hard enough, you can always find the silver lining...or gray....

Life is all about having something to look forward to! :thumbs up

:p

Dog Dancer
July 30th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Hazel is too funny:thumbs up You just have to laugh at getting old - it beats the alternative though, which is dying young. I have grey too, and while I did put a colour wash in once (after my DH said I had a lot of grey - which is mostly just on the sideburn area), but it's all washed out now and I am not inclined to do it again. Although I did like it. I'm a brunette but I have some really nice natural highlights - my hairdresser thought they were professionally done... I agree, I've earned my grey hairs and my wrinkles for that matter. But the bottom line is do what makes you feel good about yourself, it shows in more ways than just the colour of your hair.

Luvmypitgirls
July 30th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I too have grey hairs peppered throughout my head. A few weeks ago I had blonde highlights put in to try and hide them, my greys are more white than silver.
They have already invaded once again, and I've given up pulling them (too many), I will probably color again when they get out of control. Mine don't come in nice and straight, nooo mine have to come in all kinky and wirey.
Eventually I will just let it happen, but I'm not ready for a head full of greys.

BenMax
July 30th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Go chemical all the way!!:thumbs up. When you start getting grey hair that is course, thick and super curly - that's when you open a thread.....in fact I think I will open one now!

Worse - getting grey everywhere is when you just sit back and take the punishment - so Brazilian!

ancientgirl
July 30th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I've got a few grays here and there. They don't bother me too much. The ones I have on my eyebrows, those bug me more.

I haven't dyed my hair in a couple of years, but I used to quite a bit, not just to cover gray. These days I'm too lazy to do it, but I'm not opposed to it.

Shaykeija
July 30th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Go chemical all the way!!:thumbs up. When you start getting grey hair that is course, thick and super curly - that's when you open a thread.....in fact I think I will open one now!

Worse - getting grey everywhere is when you just sit back and take the punishment - so Brazilian!

Do not try to dye here.... it burns lol :laughing:

clm
July 30th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I have loads of grey, mind it's more white than gray. Funny, I used to dye my hair when I was in my 20's, now that I'm pushing 50 I don't. :laughing:

clm

quincymycat
July 30th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Man, I cannot even remember my first grey hair!:DI started to go grey fairly early and immediately started to dye the stuff because I was in the professional world and figured I had to look "put together". Then started the perming because the hair started to get thin. Needless to say, the result was a head of frizzy, brownish, highlighted hair that was more work than I could stand at times.:yell:
Now, I am at home for the past few years and let my hair resume it's natural mode. I was so surprised to find that once the colour grew out, and I stopped perming it, I had a fairly nice blend of grey and brown hair that was shiny - something I had not seen during the chemical days, and needs so little work - just a quick blow dry after showering and off I go.
Never fear the grey, it may start a downward slide into oblivion just like mine. Of course, having a really good hair stylist that would not follow my orders to perm the rat's nest every 6 weeks may have had a different result. To be fair though, it was not her fault completely - I inisisted on the too frequent perming and colouring. And as a side bonus, I have a lot more cash in the wallet after stopping the chemicals!:thumbs up

joeysmama
July 30th, 2009, 09:54 PM
My natural color is very dark so the gray really shows up against it. I spend most of my time and money on maintenance. I think that some people look great with gray hair though !! My aunt used to dye hers and I swear when she went from black to ray she looked 10 years younger. You wouldn't think it would work that way but the black was so severe on a woman her age--didn't look natural and the lighter color of the gray softened her features.

I think it depends on your skin tone though.

luckypenny
July 31st, 2009, 12:52 AM
I got my first white patch when I was 17...it was kind of cool then :shrug:. Not sure how I feel about it now. Haven't dyed my hair in over 6 months and the grays are really showing against my dark hairs. What's weird is I feel so bad when I do dye...sort of like I have to look younger...which makes me feel bad about getting older :rolleyes:. And I hate feeling that way :yell: :o.

My hairdresser found a single gray hair today. I don't know why, but it hit me hard!

Last time I went to the hairdresser for a dye, she remarked I was 50% gray. I wanted to hit her hard :laughing:.

And Smiley...if you think the first gray on your head is traumatic? Wait till you find the first one at your 'nether end'...so to speak :o :laughing:

Do not try to dye here.... it burns lol :laughing:

And don't pull them either :eek:.

rainbow
July 31st, 2009, 01:37 AM
And don't pull them either :eek:.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Definitely don't pull them cuz I've read when you get older you actually lose them. :eek:

bendyfoot
July 31st, 2009, 09:02 AM
Ha! I'm turning 30 in September, and I've been getting more greys all the time, started probably when I was 22? DW has been going grey since her teens, when we met 8 years ago, she was a true-blue salt n pepper (very nice-looking if you ask me)...she dyes her hair now, more for fun than for looks...she's always talking about not dying anymore, maybe one day. It'll be interesting to see how much more silver her hair has now!:D