Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

help please my kitten attacks my cats throat

El Tineo
July 29th, 2009, 03:44 PM
sorry i dont know how to post a new topic? can someone please help me! i have had a female cat for 5 years which is like my baby, i have recently got a kitten male, he is now 3 months. he constantly chase the older female cat which is ok i know they need to play but now he keeps jumping and attacking her throat, i dont know why and i dont know why her throat! i tell him a firm NO leave the room and ignore him and have also tried using a water bottle to gently spray him but he still does it! i feel sorry for the female older cat and she seems upset by it! the boy kitten does not do it to my mums male cat who sometimes visits? i dont know why he does this especially the throat or how to stop it! please help!

catlover2
July 29th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Sounds like you have a very dominant little boy there trying to put the "kill bite" on your girl. I'm surprised she isn't biting him back and putting him in his place. Just curious how old your girl was when you got her. Maybe she was taken away from her littermates too soon and never learn how to fight. Three month old kittens are little hellions and do a lot of playfighting and learning how to control their bite. He hasn't learned yet, but I am puzzled why your girl isn't biting back. If he isn't drawing blood, and she does not seem too upset with his fighting antics, I would let them sort it out. She'll either learn to defend herself by fighting back, or just remove herself to some place else. Try redirecting kitty with a toy when he puts the bite on your girl.

Love4himies
July 29th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I agree with catlover, let them be and sort it out themselves unless there is blood shed.

Your kitten is a baby and needs to play, please don't punish it for doing so, your female will correct the baby when she feels the need to.

catlover2
July 29th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Another suggestion for you. Give kitty private lessons to come on command. This works better if he's hungry. You want kitty to associate "come" or "come here" with something good. Whenever you're about to feed him, say, "(name) come" and then feed him. This works better if you don't free-feed him, that is don't have food down all the time for him to nibble. He probably can do well on 4 meals/day. In between meals, have short 10 min. practice sessions. Sit on the floor a short distance away and ask him to come. When he does reward with a tiny bit of cheese. Gradually increase the distance between you, until you can go to another room and call out for him to come. Once, he's coming freely, you don't always have to reward with cheese or a treat. You can play with him, or give him lots of caressing or gentle grooming. When he starts playing too roughly with your other cat and is biting her too hard, call him to come to you, and hopefully he's learned his lesson that good things happen to him when he does. :cat: :fingerscr

TacoGrl
July 29th, 2009, 08:40 PM
When mine get rough-housing too much, I shake the treats bag and when they stop and come running, I throw a toy for them instead of giving the treats and they take off after it...works great! My Seth likes to nom on Messina's throat, but she bites his ear at the base...it is funny to see them locked like this...neither is in any pain...Messina gets Seth's throat sometimes too...and his legs...and his butt...and his tummy...sometimes it looks worse than it is...I have found if a cat doesn't like something, it will get away from it. :shrug:

Jim Hall
July 29th, 2009, 11:35 PM
IS the older cat always running away and doew she have a safe place where kit cant get at her? Or does he stay sometimes and play also>

YOu can try stepping up your play time with the kitten a;so though its very haer to wear out a kitten .

Redirection is good but wiht a kitten you arent always there

you may try seperatign them in seperate rooms