Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Enticing Food?

Lovesherkitties
August 16th, 2004, 01:19 PM
I have an older female cat who has lost her appetite in the last couple of days. It's been hot out and she had a fever (either from the heat or something else?) She's drinking and eating a little bit. She'll eat her Pounce treats and eat a little bit of food like tuna. She usually eats Whiska's soft food and Purina hard food. She doesn't seem interested. She looked like she was hungry today when I gave her some treats, but she didn't eat very many.
Does anyone have any thoughts on other kinds of food that I can entice her with?
I'm going to check her teeth tonight. Her sister lost some of hers and maybe this is the problem? If she doesn't eat tonight, I'm going to have to take her to the vet tommorrow, but hopefully I can get her to eat more. She's not a very big cat to begin with!

Lucky Rescue
August 16th, 2004, 02:44 PM
An elderly cat who has lost her appetite needs to go to the vet. Cats are in danger if they do not eat, and can become anorexic very easily.

And if she does have a fever, she won't eat. There are many things that can cause these symptoms and some of them can be serious for an older cat.

Let us know what the vet says!!

Lovesherkitties
August 18th, 2004, 10:30 AM
The vet said that she has to have emergency surgery, but that she should be okay. She's supposed to have it today, and I can pick her up tommorrow. I'm so relived that she'll be okay. I prayed and cried all night and all morning. I can't wait to go and pick her up! Thanks for your response!

chico2
August 18th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Oh good,I was worried you would not let them do the right thing for her,so many people don't bother if it is an older cat,but you obviously love and care for your cat,Welcome to the Club :D
I hope everything goes well for your kitty!!!

Lady_Eleven
August 18th, 2004, 11:33 AM
The vet said that she has to have emergency surgery, but that she should be okay. She's supposed to have it today, and I can pick her up tommorrow. I'm so relived that she'll be okay. I prayed and cried all night and all morning. I can't wait to go and pick her up! Thanks for your response!

What's wrong with your kitty, if you don't mind me asking? I really hope she'll be okay, and is back to her good ol' self as soon as possible!