Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi tonight i need to be among cat lovers

theBrit
July 28th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I know this is my first post of your forum but im having a horrible time and i need to share with people who know how i really feel tonight.

Molly my darling is at the vets for the 2nd night with kidney failure and im so worried im gonna lose her :( shes only 6 and she is my shadow on her terms of course, in the house she rated below me but only just and she ignores the other cat and dog.
this came from no where she was fine Thursday and Monday she's dieing in front of my eyes, shes been on an IV since monday and this morning the vet said her blood test was not good but good be down to dehydration? so IV until tomorrow then repeat blood tests then its goodbye. shes an in door cat i have no plants etc. in fact i have had indoor cats most of my life and my house is cat proofed

thank you for listening to my ramblings :( im so worried im not ready to lose molly moo yet

Dogastrophe
July 28th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Sorry to hear what you are going through. I know how it feels having spent a few sleepless nights worrying about my Gracie. I hope it all turns out for the better.

:grouphug:

theBrit
July 28th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Thank you, having had cats all my life i have lost 2 with renal failure but they were 15 and 17, molly is only 6 and she is very special in my life, you know i what i mean im sure, every now and again a really special cat comes along, she is that to me :(

Jim Hall
July 28th, 2009, 05:35 PM
i know exactly what you mean
I inherited an apartment cat when I moved a 3 legged girl named gimpy

it was my g friends first exp with a cat
a perfect 1st cat playfull and affectionate
d\she passed away one aftenoon of heart failure
she was a special soul I had the pleasure to know

That being said, cats are tough ! Dont give up hope
there a poster on here that comes on about 9 or 10 west coast time i am sure u will hear from him.

good luck for you and molly

theBrit
July 28th, 2009, 06:05 PM
i think its just the shock of it coming from no where, is there anything i can ask the vet to do? or questions i should ask or know? i am tryi ng to research online but the more i read the more confused i get, i just want to be armed with all my options tomorrow morning, i dont give a dot about the money right now

its midnight here btw so im in the future

dmc123
July 28th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I don't have the answer about what to ask your vet, but I sure do wish the best for you and your little sweet one.

I know your house feels lonely without her.

Diane

Tundra_Queen
July 28th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Molly. I hope the IV will help her recover so u can bring her back home. :grouphug:

Debbie

14+kitties
July 28th, 2009, 09:44 PM
:goodvibes: for Molly. :pray:

edwina
July 28th, 2009, 10:17 PM
:grouphug: for you and molly :pray:

kashtin's kin
July 28th, 2009, 10:52 PM
All I can offer is commiseration and postive thoughts; hopefully it does help to know other caring critter people are 'out here'. Fingers crossed for you and your special furkid...keep us posted, as long as you feel like it. :candle:

growler~GateKeeper
July 29th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Hi theBrit, I have a cat with chronic renal failure she was diagnosed 2 years ago and she's doing great so kidney failure is not an automatic instant death sentence

Molly my darling is at the vets for the 2nd night with kidney failure and im so worried im gonna lose her :( shes only 6

this came from no where she was fine Thursday and Monday she's dieing in front of my eyes, shes been on an IV since monday

Since it has come on so suddenly it sounds like Acute Renal Failure (http://www.felinecrf.org/links_and_resources.htm#acute_renal_failure), usually as a result of either ingesting something toxic (anti-freeze, household cleaners, tainted food, Lilies), an infection, or kidney stones etc.

and this morning the vet said her blood test was not good but good be down to dehydration?

Sounds like your girl is improving if the numbers are now "down to" dehydration :thumbs up

Do you have copies of the results? If so can you post the BUN/Urea, Creatinine and Urine Specific Gravity so I can help you interpret the changes.

so IV until tomorrow then repeat blood tests then its goodbye.

:confused: why goodbye? from what you mention above it sounds like the blood tests are improving :goodvibes:

theBrit
July 29th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Thank you all so much
Well called he vets this morning and she is eatting drinking and using the litter try so that sounds good surely?
they are going to repeat the bloods and get back to me hopefully before the morning is out, (its11am here)
Ive been given no detailed results from the vets. I can say 100% she has not injested anything poisonous, shes way too cool and fussy but we had the decorator in last week and im wondering if it could have been paint fumes?
long night followed by a long morning hurry up phone call!!

theBrit
July 29th, 2009, 05:10 AM
tried to put her picture on my profile, it may or may not have worked

Love4himies
July 29th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Sounds like she is on the mend :thumbs up. :grouphug: Very scary indeed when this happens, but you and your vet did the right thing, IV to flush her out.

I agree with Growler, this sounds like acute, not chronic renal failure. Puddles had that after ingesting paint thinner and it took a few days in the hospital then she was fine. My vet told me her kidneys would have some damage but she will live just fine.

I highly suggest that Molly have a canned only diet through out her life to help keep her kidneys flushed and in top notch condition.

Love4himies
July 29th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Thank you all so much
Well called he vets this morning and she is eatting drinking and using the litter try so that sounds good surely?
they are going to repeat the bloods and get back to me hopefully before the morning is out, (its11am here)
Ive been given no detailed results from the vets. I can say 100% she has not injested anything poisonous, shes way too cool and fussy but we had the decorator in last week and im wondering if it could have been paint fumes?
long night followed by a long morning hurry up phone call!!

Puddles got the paint thinner from her paws and licking it off, not purposely drinking it.

ancientgirl
July 29th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Good luck to your girl. I hope she continues to improve.

BenMax
July 29th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I am so very sorry you are going through such pain.:sad:

I wish little Molly the very best and of course I wish you strength.:grouphug:

theBrit
July 29th, 2009, 10:35 AM
wow this is a hard one.
the vet called and told me her blood test was still off the scale still and there was nothing more that could be done for her even with me pleading with him and saying money was not a problem, seems like her kidney problems were genetic. i went and had time with her and held her as she drifted off to sleep the last thing she heard my my voice telling her i loved and we WOULD be together again one day, i just feel lost without her around the house, she would always welcome me with a meow when i came in, in fact when ever i went away i would call and have a little cat chat with her or she would go off her food. Its not fair :(

Thank you for all your messages and for helping me last night, now i just need to go and have some quiet time xx

so wish i could have come back with happy news

theBrit
July 29th, 2009, 10:39 AM

my molly moo

Love4himies
July 29th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I am so sorry to hear that, I really thought she was doing better because she was eating and using the litter box. :grouphug:

adammo
July 29th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Words can't describe your terrible loss. Time heals everything, good luck to you :(

ScottieDog
July 29th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost a beloved little dog last year to kidney failure. It is very hard. Your Molly Moo was a beauty. Know that she is patting butterflies at the Rainbow Bridge waiting for the day you can be together again. I know it hurts--I'm sorry.

Be at peace sweet Molly Moo. And may you find strength to carry you through your grief.

cpietra16
July 29th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. My condolences to you. It is so hard to lose a loved one. :sad:

BenMax
July 29th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Oh I am so very sorry..:sad:

Peace little one:rip:. Live in the heart of the person who held you so dear little angel.

:grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
July 29th, 2009, 04:35 PM
:sad: I'm sorry to hear Molly is gone :grouphug:

:rip: sweet :angel2: Molly :candle: She is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle:

rainbow
July 29th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I'm so sorry that you lost Molly and send my deepest condolences to you. :grouphug:

:rip: Sweet Molly :candle:

edwina
July 29th, 2009, 08:35 PM
:rip: molly :cry:

kashtin's kin
July 29th, 2009, 09:35 PM
So sorry to hear the outcome of Molly's illness; she was a beaut, and clearly had a good life with you. It's just plain awful and hard to lose one of 'ours', but with you there, with her...her journey across the Rainbow Bridge to the land of catnip must have been swift. Molly WILL live on in your bruised-for-now heart; quite honestly, every time I see a lovely smokey grey cat from now on, I'm going to have a quick 'flash' of your Molly...godspeed, :pray: good cat .

14+kitties
July 29th, 2009, 09:41 PM
:candle::rip: Molly :candle:
Brit - I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

theBrit
July 30th, 2009, 05:21 PM
The kindness i have been shown in the short time i have been here has been the world to me, more than you will ever know this is why i like animal people :) :grouphug:
Moo had an IV in so she was spared the trauma of an injection and i cradled her in my arms and she was purring so her transit was very peaceful and calm, something i believe fully in.
Molly had real cattitude and was quite a bully to phebs and Chelsea but she did it with style and i always stepped in if she went to far, so many times ive gone into a room and shes got Chelsea cornered, but shes just sitting there daring chelsea to mover then she'd have her, she was a cool cat
One thing that happened which maybe in time i will laugh about was as i held her in my arms and the vet left me on our own, i had just said my goodbyes and i felt wet on my feet thru my sandals, yup she pee'd on me and in doing so had the last word, which was such a molly thing to do:goodvibes:

cheers guys xx

14+kitties
July 30th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Awww Molly. :cloud9: She was just giving you a special farewell. :grouphug:
Stick around Brit.

ancientgirl
July 30th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss. Rest assured your little one left this world knowing she was deeply loved.:grouphug:

catlover2
July 30th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Your beautiful Molly Moo brought back wonderful and painful memories of one of my first cats, a Russian Blue-Manx cross with a stubby tail. He too was a 'bit of a bully' with other cats, but he was very loving and affectionate to members of the family. He could have been a sister to your Molly Moo as he looked so much like her. Dear old Max was going deaf and a couple of stray dogs startled him from a snooze under a tree, and one of them grabbed him by the leg. I managed to scare the dog's off, but Max had a very bad fracture of his hind leg, and even tho it was set with pins, a week later his 17 y.o. heart gave out. Needless to say all my cats since then have been indoor cats.

My heart goes out to you in your loss of such a special furfriend. :cry: I do believe no love is ever lost and that we will see them again. :pray:

"No heaven will not ever Heaven be; unless my pets are there to welcome me." ~ Unknown

Tundra_Queen
August 1st, 2009, 02:05 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Molly. :grouphug:
Debbie