Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

rescue

sophiecat
July 26th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Does anyone know anything about the SOS Quebec Ontario Dog Rescue? There is a lovely looking big Bouvier Lab cross on there but I haven't been able to get many answers to my questions. I understand it is run by volunteers but I'd like to know more before adopting.

Chris21711
July 26th, 2009, 04:26 PM
One of the members of this forum is heavily involved in rescue in Quebec and no doubt she will have heard of them....she usually does not log on on the weekends, no doubt she will see this thread tomorrow :)

BenMax
July 26th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Hi. I know almost every rescue in Quebec (and quite a few in Ontario) but this one is still a mystery here. I know that they assist animals in Northern Quebec and they do not have an actual facility. They transport pre-screened dog to Ontario but I do not know where or to whom. I do not know any volunteers nor do I know who runs this.

This rescue is just very odd as I cannot find any information on them nor do I know anyone that deals with them. Also, I have never met anyone here who adopted one of these dogs.

I wish I could help more but they are very low-key and not that transparent. I cannot get a grip on who they are or how they operate...which is unfortunate.

If you find out - I would love to know.:). I would sincerely like to help them if I could but maybe they have everything covered...I really don't know.:shrug:

Another member here may have some insight. Her name here is BDMLuver.

aslan
July 26th, 2009, 08:18 PM
i managed to get a little info on the place, they aren't located in Quebec, they are in Brampton, Ontario which is just north of me. they rescue dogs from a place IN Quebec.

dedicated to help a Quebec pound named "Fourrière d’Alma 2007", located in a small town in Northern Québec (Alma)

sophiecat
July 27th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks for helping. They wouldn't give much info about the dogs or how and where to pick up the dog without them receiving my completed adoption app.
I'm still uncertain about doing the application. Complete indecision because I can't see the dog in person until I'm ready to adopt or foster to adopt.
We've visited a Bouv kennel to see them and their coat up close. Don't know if I'm up to the challenge. We've always had German Shepherds, our last boy died 3 months ago. I've also spoken with a couple of people that own Bouviers so I don't think it's the breed that's scaring me off. I think it's just not getting much info from the rescue group and not being able to see the dog first because he is by now 8 or 9 months old, big and bouncy.

diandpat
July 27th, 2009, 01:52 PM
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=33284182822

They have a Facebook Group...perhaps you could get some info there. I know with these Northern rescues it can be very last minute when they are given the go ahead to come collect the strays. It is legal and happens that they round the stays up and shoot them once or twice a year :sad:

Hope you can get your answers and good luck with whatever furbaby you open your home to :goodvibes:

sophiecat
July 27th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I did check out the group on Facebook, thanks for the tip - didn't contact anyone there yet but comments sounded positive. There's one on there from To so maybe that would be a good person to ask. We're about 2.5 hours from Toronto area and I'm not thrilled at driving in Toronto either. Guess I'd have to call in some favours for a driver.

BenMax
July 27th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I did check out the group on Facebook, thanks for the tip - didn't contact anyone there yet but comments sounded positive. There's one on there from To so maybe that would be a good person to ask. We're about 2.5 hours from Toronto area and I'm not thrilled at driving in Toronto either. Guess I'd have to call in some favours for a driver.

Go for it - saving a life is saving a life. Make sure however that you get all your questions together. Make sure that the dog is vaccinated at the very least and how the sterilization agreement works if he is not sterilized. Also find out what to do if for whatever reason it does not work out. My advice if you are really interested - go for a 'foster with intent to adopt' first.

Good luck to you and I hope you get the pup of your dreams.:thumbs up

aslan
July 27th, 2009, 02:22 PM
sophiecat, they aren't actually in toronto, they are in the city of Brampton, little north of Toronto. Not so insane to travel around in.

sophiecat
July 27th, 2009, 02:39 PM
You're right -- I just get wimpy after living in a small town/rural area for so long.

sophiecat
July 28th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I did hear back from someone belonging to the Facebook group that has adopted from SOS Quebec Ontario dog rescue. They spoke pretty positively about it. It is run by 2 women that volunteer to rescue dogs from the farming area of Alma Quebec that end up in the pound or from unwanted litters. The dogs are then brought to Ontario to pre arranged adopters or foster to adopt homes.
Now I just need to figure out if a Bouvier coat and bringing an 8 or 9 month size Bouvier are right for us. Would the cats approve?

Love4himies
July 28th, 2009, 02:06 PM
:laughing::laughing: Only the cats would be able to tell you that, they are pretty funny creatures. Have they had exposure to dogs before? If so, was it positive for them?

sophiecat
July 28th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Hi,
Yup, the little brother and sister combo, both jet black rescued street kittens, were well introduced to their canine counterparts. We'd had a large white German Shepherd who died about 3 months ago. And they also have been around both of our daughters' dogs -- a bossy Boston (cute as a button) and an elderly Chihuahua that is about 5 pounds of tough.
My concern is that this big Bouv might see them as a tasty snack. If we are adopting this big boy I'd need to introduce slowly and make an escape route for the Evil Cat Twins. Without their big white dog buddy around they think they run the house now.
And I guess they do.

Love4himies
July 28th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I bet they do :laughing:. As for the dog getting along with cats, that is a question for doggy experts.

BenMax
July 29th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Simple answer: Ask them to cat test.

bluestar
July 29th, 2009, 08:15 AM
The description of the rescue sounds exactly the same as Take Me Home, except they do adoptions in Mississauga instead of Brampton. That is where our Toby came from. We had no issues with our adoption and couldn't love our boy more. It did take a while for them to respond to our application, but I expect they are overwhelmed. Toby is actually a different dog then we first inquired about. It was just fate that we waited longer and found him.

sophiecat
July 29th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Were you able to find if your dog had been exposed to cats or children? They can't give much info about the dogs as they are still in a 'pound' in Northern Quebec so they don't have personal info about them.
I am slowly convincing myself that an adult dog from this shelter is perhaps not the right one for me.

sophiecat
July 29th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Hi Bluestar,
I did check out the take me home rescue and it does sound the same as sos.
Wish the dog was closer so I could go and find out if he's the right one. I can't tell much from the brief description and the photo -- except he's very cute. Well, cute and big.

bluestar
July 30th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Toby was actually in foster care at the time, so they were able to give us a little more information. He wasn't actually from the Quebec pound as he was brought up from Ohio. They did have him at the foster parents for a couple of weeks with 2 of their own dogs, plus another foster and a cat, and 2 children of about 8-10 so they could tell already if he had any issues with these scenarios. I think with the ones from Quebec they are bringing them in at the last second and have to either have foster space available to get them here or an adopter already lined up so they don't have as much history. It might be better to look at one of the dogs that are already here and in foster care. We also had his vet records available and rabies tags, along with some medication he was on, and some of the current food he was eating so we could wean him onto the food we were using. It wasn't great food, but we got him off that pretty quick.

I know when I check petfinder, I keep wishing I had the room for Dooley the beagle mix from them. I know my boys would absolutely love him, especially my beagle Duke. But it'll be a few years and a new home with a nice fenced yard for us to spend time in before we can adopt another dog.

Kathyf
August 24th, 2009, 07:24 PM
We have had dealings with SOS and could not have had a better experience. We adopted our dog from them about a year and a half ago. One of the volunteers lives in Whitby and one in Brampton. The adoption questionnaire is very long but it is in the best interest of the dog. They pick up the dogs from Alma Quebec and bring them into Ontario. Because we live close to Whitby, we went to the one volunteer's house to pick up our boy. He is a loving and wonderful dog and we keep in touch with the ladies from time to time to let them know how our boy is doing. The only minor problem was that we had to wait about 1 month to get him once the adoption was final, as it makes no sense for them to drive 12 hours one way for one dog. They like to wait to have more than one dog for transport and I understand that. Our boy was worth the wait.