Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Advice!

April G.
July 26th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Hello Everyone,

I need some advice about Caelyn and her antics with Aragorn and Cisco. :yell:

:wall: She understands the word "NO!" and what the squirt bottle is used for. What we can't seem to get through to her is that when we say "NO!" we actually mean "NO!". :wall:

She will wait around a corner or underneath a piece of furniture for either Cisco or Aragorn to come by, then without any notice she jumps in a playful manner on their heads or behinds. If left alone she will continue to attack relentlessly.

Is there a way to stop this behaviour or is it a waiting game because of her young age (12 wks.)?

We're at our wits end! :cry:

allfurlove
July 26th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Hmmm...the only thing I can think of is another kitten to play with :D

lUvMyLaB<3
July 26th, 2009, 01:06 PM
yeah.. that is what a kitten does.. Personally I don't like squirt bottles.. I have had kittens around all the time, just wear socks, and laugh it off.. that is after all why you got a cat? it is because she is young, they are playful. Get some toys, those fishing rods ones are great, play with her often, and try and direct her hunting practise to play time. Kittens will be kittens, and playing like that is natural, it is what you signed upfor. I disagree with squirtiing and punishing a cat for exhibiting its natural behavior. It is not right to have them fear just acting normal, she doesn't know anything is wrong, and has no idea what to do instead, she has instincts and energy.... How old was she when you got her? It will pass with time, but really this is a great part, just try and enjoy it..

So my answer is no, don't stop the behavior is is natural and it is play. If the cats she jumps on hate it that much they will let her know and she will change her mind... just let her be a cat! Perhaps do you have a room or an area of the house she could go to if the others need a break from her play? And yes, another kitten will help her get that play out, but then you will also have 2 to worry about pouncing on living things.. Good luck! It passes fast, try and enjoy it!

rainbow
July 26th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I agree she is only being a kitten and should not be punished. :sad:

As already stated, you either have to tire her out by playing with her yourself or better yet, since Aragorn is older and not into playing much anymore, adopt another kitten. :thumbs up

14+kitties
July 26th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Boy, we have such smart people on this site! :thumbs up A second kitten for sure would stop her playing with the cat and dog. Or should I say will greatly cut back on her antics. I do not like spray bottles either. Have never used them. Have never felt the need to. What's it going to teach a cat? By the time you usually get the spray bottle in hand the behaviour you want to punish for is done. Kitty won't know why he is being sprayed. But he will know he doesn't like it. I have never used anything other than a no and redirection.

April G.
July 26th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Thank you all for the advice, it has been noted.

The squirt bottle is no more and we will continue to let her act naturally.

Thanks once again for all of your advice. :)

babymomma
July 26th, 2009, 09:34 PM
So.... When should we expect pictures of the future new kitten?! lol

catlover2
July 27th, 2009, 12:19 AM
This is absolutely normal behaviour for a 12 week old kitten. Just let her be. Aragorn & Cisco are will put Caelyn in her place if they think she's going too far.

As far as a spray bottle is concerned, this should be used in extreme circumstances to discipline where verbal discouragement does not work. In another thread the owner was being attacked and bitten repeatedly on her legs in a vicious manner. So far she reports the spray bottle has stopped that behaviour.

Cat Behaviour Forum: Poster: Puss'FavPerson Cute, but deadly ... Still!

April G.
July 27th, 2009, 01:20 AM

Sorry but maybe I've lost my sense of humour since losing 2 fur babies within months of each other last year. But, what makes any of you think that I want another kitten?

Just taking in Caelyn was very difficult for me, but I did it for Aragorn! I brought Aragorn and Legolas from the Huntsville Animal Shelter together, they weren't from the same litter and I thought it best to have 2 kittens together. Of course I was right, they kept each other company and Aragorn had the crap beat out of him right from the get go.

Together for almost 5 years and then Legolas was diagnosed with Asthma, which even the vet thought was odd. We'd rush in Legolas every time he had what we thought was an attack. During a severe snowstorm in February at 2 AM in the morning, he had another attack. We rushed him into the emergency vet's office and he did all sorts of things to him. When we finally saw him he had 3 IV's, some sort of blanket that was pumping warm water through to keep him warm, he was hooked up to a heart monitor and the vet told us he'd call us tomorrow and let us know how Legolas was.

Tomorrow came too quickly. I received the phone call I didn't want. Legolas is dead, he said. He died of a very serious heart problem, similar to Cardiomyopathy but not quite. Then Aragorn went into a deep depression. His brother, his buddy, his co-conspirator was gone. (It nearly killed us to see him this way.) :cry::cry::cry::cry:

We then came across a Bengal kitten in the same shelter and they had no clue what breed she was, they just thought she was a strange tabby. We brought her home and Aragorn fell in love. She was quite kittenish and fun to watch, just not as attack happy as Caelyn is. Shaela was much more docile but she wanted to run the roost, she didn't want Aragorn to be in charge.

They had it out between the two of them and funny enough she won. She was top kitty. Aragorn wouldn't take his eyes off of her, he followed her everywhere and wouldn't let her out of the backyard. She weighed 2 lbs. when we got her, then it was time for her to be spayed and I called it off.

The vet asked me to come in and explain so I did and I took Shaela with me. Right then he said that it didn't look good for her at all. He told me to let her eat whatever she wanted and I did. After 100's of dollars of tests later she was diagnosed with FIP aka Feline Peritonitis. (http://www.pets.ca/articles/fip.htm)

We tried to save her! We did everything in our power. We took her back to the vet and he put her to sleep. I wrote an e-mail to the Mayor of Huntsville and he told me I was not the only one, they closed down the shelter. It's open but not with the approval of the Mayor. Well that's the last that I heard. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Afterwards, we came home crying and picked up all of the toys in the entire house and through them out. We steam cleaned the sofa, chairs, cushions and carpets. We even steam cleaned the litter boxes. We washed and sanitized the walls, baseboards, heaters, lights and anything else that she may have touched. We painted and cleaned, cleaned and painted until finally we couldn't find anymore to clean or paint.

We took the extra precaution of waiting a year or more before we decided on another kitten for Aragorn. Then I saw her on Kijiji.ca and I just knew she was for us. Even though we drove north/east of North Bay, two and a half hours from where we live just to get her.

It's more difficult on us than we'd like to admit but seeing as someone brought up the idea of bringing yet another kitten into the house, I just thought I'd say something.

Someone on this site told me that this site loves talkers, well I hope that's true because I'm pouring my heart and soul out and it's killing me! I can barely see what I'm typing because of my tears. But at least now everyone will know about last year and just how hard it truly was on both myself and my husband.

I joined this site for support and advice. I did not join this site so that most could say, "Get another kitten!" That is so unacceptable!!! And I'm not going to apologize for my feelings.

Maybe I should reconsider this site.

growler~GateKeeper
July 27th, 2009, 01:37 AM
April :grouphug: I'm sorry for your losses :candle: :candle:

Perhaps you could try using a stuffed toy to redirect Caelyn's attention to when she is super playful. Does she have some interactive toys, like the "donut" circle thingy with the ball inside that they can't get out or a fishing pole w/the feathers on the end?

April G.
July 27th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Growler, I'd just like to thank you for understanding.

We bought Aragorn a Christmas stocking last year but he had absolutely no interest in it, but that stocking did not go to waste...

Caelyn happened along and she's playing with everything that was in that stocking, especially anything with a bell. She's got a total of 12 balls with bells, 12 stuffed toys in every shape yet they are all mice (her favourite shape being a dog bone and the crescent moon), she has the "doughnut" toy with the ball that won't come out, and she even has the fishing pole with a colourful piece of material on the end, instead of the feathers.

We play with them all together. I get onto the floor and my Hubby joins me at the opposite end of the room and we'll toss her balls back and forth and she's in the middle going nuts trying to catch everything.

Waking up today and thinking more about my situation, I think it's just Caelyn being herself... a kitten.

It's just my Hubby and I feel so sorry for Cisco more than Aragorn because he's soon to be 14 yrs. and he just got over Idiopathic Vestibular Disease. (http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html)

I'll just keep a more watchful eye when she's around Cisco. Aragorn is used to her and will whack her when needed. Check out what she does to Aragorn as I got her on camera but she also does the same with Cisco.

Just give her name a click... Caelyn (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=805335&postcount=18)

We'll just keep buying her more toys to help with our sanity! :laughing::laughing:

Thanks again for all your help, Growler! :grouphug:

Love4himies
July 27th, 2009, 10:23 AM
April_G, first off I would like to say I am terribly sorry for your losses. Must be devastating to loose your babies so close together.

To defend Babymomma and Allfurlove, getting a second kitten is a great way to ensure the kitten will have a playmate and keep each other pooped as well as socialized. They had no way of knowing your history.

You have adopted a baby and a baby needs to play and is full of energy and this is their natural way of playing. You need to allow your kitten to play and not punish it, your adult cats will keep the kitten in line when they are bother by it. If you don't want your kitten to play with your other pets, then you need to keep the kitten occupied and play for hours with it.

14+kitties
July 27th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Y'know April - we all go through things. ALL of us. That is what makes us pet lovers, not just run of the mill pet owners. We also all understand.
I realize that losing cats so close together is heartbreaking. In fact, I have lived it. It tears at my heart every single day when I think of the kittens/cats that my hubby has had to remove off of our road in the past. It tears a bigger hole when I think of a kitten who I had adopted to a family dying a few short weeks afterwards because of an inept vet. It gets ripped wide open when I think of his momma being hit by a car a few months after that. She was a feral I was never able to tame but she had been fixed.
My point is you asked for advice. I'm sorry if our advice included recommending a playmate for your kitten. I think that is a normal thing to do. If a sixteen year old girl asks jokingly for pics of a future kitty I can understand your reaction.... to a point. But saying that you are going to leave a site because of it........... that I don't get. Belonging to this site has helped heal this heart of mine that has been ripped time and time again. So stick around, give us a little break. Sometimes unless the story has been told and is known we can't understand the lashing out. :shrug:

catlover2
July 27th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Hi April, well that was quite a sad story. You've certainly gone through a lot of heartbreak in a year. :cry:
No you definitely don't need another kitten! But you will need to protect your senior dog from being harassed, if he won't do it himself, probably just doesn't feel up to it at his age. Thanks for sharing the pics of King Aragorn & Caelyn...what lovely brown tabby he looks like quite the placid fellow. 12 week kittens are pretty wild, and fortunately, she will outgrow that stage and settle down in a few months. All the suggestions re redirecting with toys are good.

You could train her to come on command ("Caelyn, come here") by sitting on floor, call her name and give her a bit of cheese or something else. Do this exercise apart from Cisco & Aragorn. Gradually widen the distance until you can call here from a different room and she'll come. When she's harassing Cisco too much, call here to come. Of course, what usually happens, is that they all come if they know its treats! :laughing:

TacoGrl
July 27th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I too am sorry you had to go through all that you have and am very happy you decided to adopt another kitty.

Chosing a kitten though is going to be labour intensive...they are little :evil:. Having said that, watching them play, watching them grow, watching them get into trouble and realize they didn't expect that is wonderful :cloud9: Really the best option is to get a playmate so I don't see anything wrong with others suggesting it...now because of your situation, another kitty right now isn't really an option, so you have to be the playmate...that can be a blast! :goodvibes:

People here are good people...we have our disagreements now and then...who doesn't :shrug:, but we don't pack it in and leave...hope you stay. :2huggers:

Luvmypitgirls
July 27th, 2009, 02:33 PM
First of all sorry for your losses. I think most of us here on this site can appreciate and relate to your losses.

Secondly, don't get angry at members for their suggestions, you asked, they took the time to reply, and they offered their suggestions with honest and good intentions. Nobody was aware of the history you have since posted, so I think being so offended by the "perhaps another kitten" advice and saying you think you are going to reconsider this site is a tad insulting to those that simply wanted to help you, there was nothing inappropriate about it.

I can tell you first hand, that there are ppl here that will willinginly go out of their way to help you, I personally have experienced the good will on this site.
In my opinion it's one of the best sites on the web. So my advice is when you ask for suggestions and ppl reply, take what helps you, pass over that which doesn't, and remember that all replies are made with good intentions, and there is no need to become defensive, ppl are just trying to help.

With that said, I hope you have many many wonderful years with your furrybaby, you kitten sounds absolutely mischevious and wonderful!:D

BenMax
July 27th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I can say with the utmost confidence that no one here made any suggestion nor remarks that were unappropriate. Everything was made with the best of intentions. Without knowing the background how are people to know?

I have to tell you that in rescue, if someone is having difficulties such as yours we always make this suggestion.

If you do decide to leave, it really is too bad. I wish you the best.

April G.
July 27th, 2009, 11:41 PM
No you definitely don't need another kitten! But you will need to protect your senior dog from being harassed, if he won't do it himself, probably just doesn't feel up to it at his age.

You could train her to come on command ("Caelyn, come here") by sitting on floor, call her name and give her a bit of cheese or something else. Do this exercise apart from Cisco & Aragorn. Gradually widen the distance until you can call here from a different room and she'll come. When she's harassing Cisco too much, call here to come. Of course, what usually happens, is that they all come if they know its treats! :laughing:

Thanks for the reminder catlover2, that's how I've trained all of my fur babies large and small, to come, sit and stay. Even Aragorn fetches! :laughing: :headslap: How could I have forgotten that simple technique! :headslap: I'll be starting her training right away, again thanks for the reminder!:2huggers:

As for everyone else, I can understand that it was advice from the heart but maybe in the future to avoid such a situation you should ask for either background or if the person could afford another fur baby. For a lot of people even some of those in this forum I'm sure your on pensions or fixed incomes. Who knows a person's situation?

Originally Posted by babymomma

Getting a kitten wasn't what truly upset me. The fact that babymomma was more interested in when she was going to see pictures, upset me. My goodness, that wasn't even advice!

Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls
Secondly, don't get angry at members for their suggestions, you asked, they took the time to reply, and they offered their suggestions with honest and good intentions.

I understand that I asked for advice and that no one knew my history. I also understand that I may choose to take such advice and use it or not, the choice is up to me. I'm sure that the advice that was given was with nothing but honesty and good intentions, for those who gave advice!

Thanks for everything and I'll be training Caelyn to come, sit, and stay when called. (Maybe even fetch, like Aragorn!) :laughing:

So it looks like I won't be leaving after all. I'm glad we got things cleared up. :2huggers:

14+kitties
July 28th, 2009, 07:13 AM
As for everyone else, I can understand that it was advice from the heart but maybe in the future to avoid such a situation you should ask for either background or if the person could afford another fur baby. For a lot of people even some of those in this forum I'm sure your on pensions or fixed incomes. Who knows a person's situation?

Exactly, who knows. I really don't think we're about to start asking people their finacial situations before suggesting another furry. If that was the case I would have a whole lot less four legged critters than I do have!:D Not to mention that would really be overstepping the boundaries.
Getting a kitten wasn't what truly upset me. The fact that babymomma was more interested in when she was going to see pictures, upset me. My goodness, that wasn't even advice!

As stated earlier, the person in question is 16 years old! :shrug:

Thanks for everything and I'll be training Caelyn to come, sit, and stay when called. (Maybe even fetch, like Aragorn!) :laughing:

So it looks like I won't be leaving after all. I'm glad we got things cleared up. :2huggers:

Good luck with training Caelyn. :thumbs up

TacoGrl
July 28th, 2009, 09:13 AM
What does age have to do with anything??? We ALL ask for pics cuz we like to see pics! NOTHING wrong with that. If you took offence to that, well...

As was said, we aren't going to start asking personal questions that most would feel uncomfortable about sharing in open forum before we respond to a post...that is unreasonable to ask.

It sounds like you are very angry and sad...as I have already said, with your situation, I can understand (most of us have had hardship-some of us are going through REALLY tough times right now), but we come here to share our joys...and sometimes our sorrows :sad: To be angry at us unfair, especially for something so innocent :shrug:

14+kitties
July 28th, 2009, 02:26 PM
What does age have to do with anything??? We ALL ask for pics cuz we like to see pics! NOTHING wrong with that.

Yep, you are right TG. Age doesn't have a thing to do with it. Sorry BabyM. :o
We do all like seeing pics. Tons and tons of pics!! :D Time we posted some,huh? :rolleyes:

Love4himies
July 28th, 2009, 02:36 PM

So why would a simple request at somebody who would like to admire your pet (or future pet) upset you????? :confused:

We are addicted to pics:yell: :D

rainbow
July 28th, 2009, 02:47 PM
There are pics posted here and they are :cloud9: .....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64256

14+kitties
July 28th, 2009, 02:52 PM
There are pics posted here and they are :cloud9: .....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64256

Oh no rainbow!! :o Sorry. Didn't mean April G had to post more pics!! I meant we all should post more pics!!! Sorry it got twisted. The kitten really is a sweet little thing. She will make a beautiful gal when she is full grown.

rainbow
July 28th, 2009, 03:02 PM
LOL, sorry :o .....I confuse easily. :laughing:

BenMax
July 28th, 2009, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=14+kitties;807425]I meant we all should post more pics!!!QUOTE]

Is that perhaps a little hinty hint-hint???:sorry::offtopic::laughing:

(just needed to lighten this thread a little).:D

14+kitties
July 28th, 2009, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=14+kitties;807425]I meant we all should post more pics!!!QUOTE]

Is that perhaps a little hinty hint-hint???:sorry::offtopic::laughing:

(just needed to lighten this thread a little).:D

YOU in particular young lady! We have not seen pics of yours in a (cough cough) dog's age! :D And that is really :offtopic:

Luvmypitgirls
July 28th, 2009, 06:47 PM
BabyM, I know you meant no harm or offense when asking for pics, you were just trying to be welcoming and friendly, how someone could misread that is beyond me.
It's unfortunate that someone would discriminate against you for only being 16, I know you love your pets and animals in general just as much as someone twice, three times even 4 times your age.

I understand that I asked for advice and that no one knew my history. I also understand that I may choose to take such advice and use it or not, the choice is up to me. I'm sure that the advice that was given was with nothing but honesty and good intentions, for those who gave advice!

I didn't offer advice about your cat because after reading your reply, I didn't think it would be appreciated.