Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Conservation Officer HELP!

babymomma
July 24th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Anybody have any info to share on this JOb?

Ive been looking into it, but cant get far at all with my research..

I cant find any info abou tthe Job specifically in Newfoundland..

Im wondering about salery ( I know its not that important but im curious as to the money involved, I want to be able to get a decent house with a decent yard to support my pets and myself confortably. )

How long it takes to become one.

And what they require to be excepted into the program, in regards to like high school courses and such.

My mom thinks that it would be a good career for me. Because it involves being outdoors alot.. But thats pretty much all I know about it right now..

Thanks

And I SUCK at googling stuff, I dont word it right apparently and I get everything besides what im looking for

Plus id rather hear from somebody that is a CO or somebody that just knows alot about it!

Love4himies
July 25th, 2009, 08:15 AM
ACO22 works for a humane society here on Ontario, she may have some info for you.

Winston
July 25th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I think Stacer is also in that field?

I googled and found this link?

http://www.retiredbrains.com/jobsearch/nl/farming-forestry/forestry-logging-conservation/

Cindy

Gail P
July 26th, 2009, 12:29 AM
You should probably plan on at least 3 years of schooling, depending on where you go. I took the 2-year Fish and Wildlife Technician program at Sir Sandford Fleming College School of Natural Resources. There was an optional 3rd year program that focused on the law enforcement aspect. We covered a little in our courses, but it didn't make us CO's.

Actually right now SSFC is advertising for someone to teach the 3rd year course, just saw the ad when I was reading the newpaper over at my mom's tonight.

Don't know about the salary of a CO, sorry :shrug:

Back when I entered the college the requirements weren't all that high to get in compared to some of the others I was considering attending. Something like a 60% average at the general level to gain admittance I believe. At SSFC you don't go right into your program of choice, you enter "common semester" where you learn a little about all the various courses offered in the field of natural resources. You learn about things like forestry, fish & wildlife, aerial photography, cartography, communications, aquaculture, pest management, heavy equipment and drilling etc. 2nd semester you go into your course of choice.

Don't know if there are any similar colleges in your area, but I kind of doubt it. I had a guy in my class who was here from New Brunswick to take the course. Here's a link you can check out for SSFC: http://www.flemingc.on.ca/index.cfm/go/school/sub/senrs.cfm That link will take you to the page that lists the natural resources courses offered, you can click on each program to find out more about it.

mollywog
July 26th, 2009, 12:33 AM
A good friend of mine is a CO here in Ontario. Pay is decent (you are working for the government after all! :rolleyes:) and as someone else suggested, Sir Sanford Fleming College in Lindsay, ON is the best place to go for the program. You definitely need to be interested in fishing and hunting, and all the regulations that go along with both.
Best of luck, and good for you, for planning ahead!

babymomma
July 26th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the good info guys...My brother told me today that one of his friends went in to take the course and he would talk to him when he comes home from alberta!

NoahGrey
July 26th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I am actually going back to school in the fall too SSFC for Fish and Wildlife Conservation Technician. There are only two school in Ontario that offer the program. Fleming College in Lindsay and Slaut College in Soo Ste Marie.

I blieve that Fleming College is more recongized. I have actually heard from people as far away as Califoruna rave about the program. I have decided to go back to school and broaden my passion about animals and their welfare and wildife conservation fits the bill.

I know that on the government job site, there is a Fish and Wildlife Tech position and the salary is between $1100 to $1300 per week.

You should look at the courses at fleming or Salut. A very rewarding career and many different aspects of it that pertain to wildlife.

I know that to become a CO, you have to have a a level of experience and hold a bunch of certified certificates in boating, ATV, Firearms, etc.

Here is a great site that I fascinated with.

http://joomla.wildlife.org/

ACO22