Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Roxy back from vet :(

Rottielover
July 23rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
At lunch today I had a nasty wake up call. We were all going for our nice lunch time stroll, then all of a sudden roxy's back end collapsed. I got her back up, only one leg was working, other looked paralyzed. Tried to get her to walk, dragged her leg, knuckle scraping the ground.
I had a sweater, so I placed it underneath her to try and get her to walk, after about 5 mins, she slowly started to use it again.
After dinner, was on the computer, heard a weird sound, turned around, there was roxy having mouth spasms. I called the vet tech, she said she should come in asap and have an exam done.
I went in and had it done, they did every kind of human neuro exam, she seems fine, walking again, but still not lifting leg correctly.
She poked and proded her, good girl Roxy, then we noticed she sat down every time she pressed a certain spot, on her spine. Instant xray.
Nothing there except older dog lumps on her rib cage. Lungs are clear. They wanted to keep her in an sedate her tomorrow for hips and knee. I told her I rather wait on that until I can speak to my own vet.
So she prescribed presidone for her for 3 weeks, starting high dose, then weaning off.
My vet will be calling me tomorrow.
Oh yes, as for the mouth spasms, the vet guessed either neuro or she is in pain :(

hazelrunpack
July 24th, 2009, 12:31 AM
:goodvibes: for Roxy.

TeriM
July 24th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Wow, you really aren't having a good animal week :sad: :grouphug:.

Lot of hugs for you and Roxy and good luck with the vet visit :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:.

Rottielover
July 24th, 2009, 07:46 AM
This morning her lazy back end came back after 5 mins walking, you could hear her back paws not lifting correctly off the ground. I can not wait for my vet to call me. The vet last night was great, My vet knows her whole history and such.

chico2
July 24th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Rottielover,so sorry to hear that,you really are having a terrible time lately,one thing after the other:grouphug:
:pray:Roxy will be ok:goodvibes:

CearaQC
July 24th, 2009, 08:19 AM
:fingerscr for Roxy

ancientgirl
July 24th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Poor girl. I hope your vet can give you some answers. :pray:

Love4himies
July 24th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Poor Roxy :sad:, hopefully you will get a diagnosis from your vet. You sure are not having a good couple of weeks :grouphug:

bendyfoot
July 24th, 2009, 09:40 AM
:grouphug::goodvibes::fingerscr Sending good thoughts your way...:grouphug:

Jim Hall
July 24th, 2009, 09:44 AM
good luck hope you hear from the vet soon

Sylvie
July 24th, 2009, 11:41 AM
:pray: for Roxy Hope everything goes well.

Rottielover
July 24th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Lunch time, took her for a 5 mins walk, after the 5 mins, I saw her starting to knuckle again. I am praying this prednisone is going to help her, she looks so sad that she can not go walking with harley anymore :(

Chris21711
July 24th, 2009, 12:59 PM
So sorry to hear about Roxy Rottielover, have you heard from your own Vet yet?

Rottielover
July 24th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I left a message for her to call me after 5, she finishes at 4:30, that will give her time to look through the visit write up last night, and xrays and such.

Chris21711
July 24th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Stay optimistic Rottielover :grouphug:

rainbow
July 24th, 2009, 01:47 PM
RL, I am so sorry to hear about sweet Roxy. :grouphug:

Sending lots of prayers and good wishes your way. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Masha
July 24th, 2009, 03:19 PM
:pray: that roxy feels better very soon :fingerscr:goodvibes:

Dog Dancer
July 24th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Praying for Roxy that she recovers and your vet is able to figure out what is going on. It's so hard when they are not "right". :pray: Hugs to you Rottielover stay strong.

Rottielover
July 24th, 2009, 06:27 PM
My vet agrees with me on this, please understand, I love her dearly.
She wants to keep her on the prednisone until dose is finished. After that she will decide to keep her on it or try another drug. She said in all honesty, she has already beaten the odds with the cancer, out lived what time span they gave. There are no promises that the cancer will not start spreading soon.
To spend so much money on a MRI, and do evasive tests will just kill me financially, and may not help her, back to square 1. It is all process of elimination. She was very heart felt and honest.
She said make her as comfortable and pain free as I can.
She also did say that the spinal cord would not have shown degenerative on an xray. Which the other vet forgot to mention.
She gave me some techniques to work with her, make sure not getting worse. To call her anytime I am worried or have a question. No more other vet consults, she wants to follow her :)

Have I said how much I love my vet.

TeriM
July 24th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Tough situation :sad: but I agree with your decision. Hopefully the meds work and make her feel better :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:.

ScottieDog
July 24th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Sending good thoughts to you and Roxy. :grouphug:

It is so hard to see a loved baby feeling badly.

-Sandra (ScottieDog)

ancientgirl
July 24th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I think the best thing you can do is what you are doing for her. Make her comfortable, keep the pain away, give her love and make her happy.:grouphug:

Love4himies
July 24th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Sending some :goodvibes: Roxy's way, rottielover. Boy, I can't believe what a month you are having :sad: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

erykah1310
July 24th, 2009, 11:29 PM
How sad to read Rottielover.
I know you have Roxy's best interests at heart and what ever descisions you make I will stand behind you.
I know you will do what is right by her, I truely hope the medications help her out.
Hang in there

Rottielover
July 25th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I do not know if the prednisone is a miracle drug, but her jaw stopped spasms. Also after the short 5 mins walk, her hind end was not as sluggish. Still but not as drastic. Maybe it is me, maybe I am hoping to much. But as soon as I mentioned cookie she actually tried to sprint. I say try, she did not succeed to well with that.

Once again I thank you all for helping me stay sane.

chico2
July 25th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Rottielover,lets hope the Prednisone is a miracle-drug:pray:
I did not realize Roxy was only 5 yrs old:fingerscr:goodvibes:that she'll get back to normal and fight this new problem.

It must be heartbreaking to see her buckle:sad:it's just not fair,is it:pawprint:

Chris21711
July 25th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Hang in there Rottielover :grouphug:...

babymomma
July 25th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Im sorry Rottielover:sad:

Its not fair that ANY dog should have to go thru any of this. But it is especially unfair for such a young girl:sad:

Shes very very very lucky to have such a GREAT momma! :cloud9:

I wish you both the best of luck!

Rottielover
July 29th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I just wanted to give everyone a quick little update, the Prednisone is working well for her, jaw stopped having spasms, and can walk more than 5 mins now. She still lags a little, lazy back end as I call it, nothing compared to without the drug.
Which will make me think, what happens in 1 1/2 weeks when she is no longer on this drug and has to be put on another?
Here is a picture of my poor baby during a thunderstorm we had.

hazelrunpack
July 29th, 2009, 08:16 AM
With luck, RL, the pred will bring down the inflammation enough to give her continued relief even after she's off the drug :fingerscr So don't get ahead of the situation--take it one day at a time.

:goodvibes: for Roxy

Rottielover
July 29th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I did not know that the inflammation could stay down, I thought it would return to the way it was, Well that is good news for her, I honestly had no clue. Even after all the research I did, I feel dumb, LOL

chico2
July 29th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Rottielover,sounds like somewhat good news:thumbs up
I just showed hubby the little/big scaredy-cat Rottie in the bath:laughing:

hazelrunpack
July 29th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Evan had severe IBD. We started him off on pred and after a few months, weaned him off. The intestinal inflammation stayed in check sufficiently that we were able to manage his disease afterward with diet alone :shrug:

ancientgirl
July 29th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I hope this helps her in the long run. :pray:

Rottielover
August 23rd, 2009, 05:20 PM
I just came on with a little update, Just got back from the vets again, actually saw a tech and my non regular vet.
Roxy is still losing weight, although I am feeding her more than double what she used to get plus LOTS and LOTS of treats from everyone, more bones are starting to show, her hip bone is alot more apparent now, as well as her rear end. I felt bad brushing her., as well as her spine :( Gums are starting to get paler. Vet apt again in a couple days :( with my regular vet.
I have to say, even though she really does not look like she is doing well, her spirits are still high and she seems happy. Oh yes, my vet suggested that she stay on the prednizone.

chico2
August 23rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
So sorry Roxy is still losing weight:sad:
It must be so very difficult for you to see,but as long as she's happy and alert,I guess you cannot ask for more right now.:grouphug: