Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Found an abused dog, having issues

JessicaInGA
July 23rd, 2009, 09:39 PM
I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place, but it seemed correct to me. Here's the story on what happened today, this is going to be a long first post:

There was a stray outside our office this morning, so cute, so sweet, very malnourished. I was immediately in love and knew I couldn't leave her on the street, so I was planning on taking her home with me on my lunch break. I got a call from the guys in the office next door saying some shady looking guy was outside trying to get the dog. So I go outside just as the guy tackles the dog and pins it to the ground, meanwhile the dog is screaming and crying. The dog gets away just as I get up to the guy. I ask if it's his dog and he says no, but he's going to take it home and keep it with his pit bulls. I told him I was going to take it home, and he says he's been chasing it all morning and if I tried to take it home I would be stealing it from him. I'm like WTF. So I go over to my car and grab my phone to call my boyfriend, and he starts saying "Who are you calling? What are you trying to start?" And I'm like, dude, I'm just calling my boyfriend. He then walks over to my car and starts reading the tag of my car out loud. I'm freaked out, so I walk back into the office and get my boss. The guy has followed the dog around the back of the building, and we go out back to see what he's going to do. Just as my boyfriend pulls up the guy traps the dog behind the air conditioning unit and proceeds to grab the dog by the throat and lift it into the air while again the poor little thing is screaming and crying. Something in me snapped, and I ran at the guy screaming. My boyfriend rushes the guy, so he drops the dog and she bolts. I run to the front of the building (crying and hysterical) just as the guys from the office next door come out, and told them what happened. They called the dog into their office so she would be safe. The guy then tried to go in their office, and they told him to GTFO. So he says he's going to call the cops, and they tell him to go right ahead. He leaves, and we get the dog into my car and I take her home. (Had to lure her inside my apartment with bologna.) I get a phone call from my boyfriend saying that the guy did call the cops, and that there's four cop cars outside the office now. I get the dog settled and come back to the office, but by that time everyone has already explained the situation to them. The cops tell me that I need to call the local animal control and give them a description of the dog, and also have her checked for a microchip. (Both of which I was already planning on doing.) They told me that they are VERY familiar with the guy in question, that they know him by name and that he has trespassing criminal records all over our town. They said that he is extremely mentally unstable and that if he comes back we need to lock the door and call 911 immediately.

So now she's home with us, and she's the sweetest little girl, but she's having some issues. The leash is the biggest thing, when we first put it on her she was fine, but then when she was out of slack on it she threw herself to the ground and started shivering. She did this the entire time we were on the first walk. Now, several walks later, she is still freaking out over the leash. She wants to go one way, and I refuse to take her that way, and she starts jumping and writhing trying to get away. She also does not want to go outside at all. We take her to the edge of the concrete where the grass starts, and she stops and refuses to go any further. If you can manage to coax her down into the grass, she gets extremely nervous and is runs in circles with her tail between her legs, sniffing at everything. I brought her home around 1pm. It is now close to 10pm and she has not gone to the bathroom this entire time. I've taken her out countless times and she just won't go! She's eaten twice (small amounts of Beneful that was watered down) and she has had plenty of water. But nothing!

She's so sweet, but I'm a little frustrated. I'm sure the situation will get better with time, but I wanted to know if there is anything in particular we can do for her in the meantime. We're working on establishing dominance, and I've been doing quite a bit of reading on adopted dogs, but I couldn't find anything on the leash topic or the bathroom thing. Any advice? Advice on anything else with abused dogs would be helpful as well.

Dee-O-Gee
July 23rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
Jessica, you have come to the right place for some good advice. :thumbs up

55548 to the forum.

I'm sure she has been through alot of stress and you may want to take things nice and slow.

Just be patient here on the forum. There are quite a few members that come on later in the evening/early mornings that could possibly give you some strong advice.

Good luck with her. Have you given any thoughts to any names? When the time is right, we would love to see some pictures of your new friend. :thumbs up

JessicaInGA
July 23rd, 2009, 09:59 PM
Jessica, you have come to the right place for some good advice. :thumbs up

55548 to the forum.

I'm sure she has been through alot of stress and you may want to take things nice and slow.

Just be patient here on the forum. There are quite a few members that come on later in the evening/early mornings that could possibly give you some strong advice.

Good luck with her. Have you given any thoughts to any names? When the time is right, we would love to see some pictures of your new friend. :thumbs up

Thanks! I will check back on the thread later/tomorrow to see if there are more replies, I appreciate the info.

We decided to name her Shenzi, after the female hyena in the Lion King. She looks like a hyena, and is spunky, but still a coward, just like Shenzi. :) Plus we just think it's a cute name.

As requested, this is our new baby girl! Please excuse the messy house in the background. This was before her bath, so her coat is much shinier now.
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs158.snc1
/5892_1188484788519_1120307284_30586438_3937492_n.j pg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs138.snc1/5892_1188486588564_1120307284_30586449_2397015_n.j pg

babymomma
July 23rd, 2009, 10:06 PM
Hi ! Thanks for taking this girl in!

She hast been with you very long.. Just leave her be. Let her get used to her new surroundings and dont do anything to stresss her out further (Like putting a leash on her and trying to get her to walk) ..Just bring her out to do her buisness and bring her right back in...

JessicaInGA
July 23rd, 2009, 10:09 PM
Hi ! Thanks for taking this girl in!

She hast been with you very long.. Just leave her be. Let her get used to her new surroundings and dont do anything to stresss her out further (Like putting a leash on her and trying to get her to walk) ..Just bring her out to do her buisness and bring her right back in...

She won't go! And it's not like I'm trying to lead her places, I generally just follow where she wants to go at this point. We're trying! :)

Dog Dancer
July 23rd, 2009, 10:13 PM
Thank you for taking this girl in. If she's determined to struggle when walking you may want to consider a harness that she can't slip out of rather than a collar. You should work with her like a puppy (do you have a guess as to how old she may be??). When she eats take her outside, when she wakes up take her outside. Just be calm and patient and eventually she will go potty and then you should praise her like crazy. If she hasn't gone after 24 hours a vet visit is in order. That said, if you are planning to keep her a vet visit is in order no matter what. Beneful is not the best food you could get for her though (although I realize you were probably in a huge hurry and it's no doubt better than garbage - just). There are lots of threads on here about foods that you can search through, but a rule of thumb is if it's got corn listed in the first five ingredients give it a pass - dogs don't digest corn it's just cheap filler. Anyhow, please keep us posted how it goes along, and let us know what you name her, and of course pics when you can.... Be patient she's a very nervous girl right now and probably doesn't really know how to trust.

Bina
July 23rd, 2009, 10:21 PM
If she is a dumped puppy mill dog, she won't know to pee out of a cage.
You can try leaving her in a blocked off area with newspaper on the floor.
(kitchen or bathroom)
Having a dog cage available would help alot, even leaving the door open for her to choose if she wants to be in or out of it.

TeriM
July 23rd, 2009, 10:21 PM
We're working on establishing dominance, and I've been doing quite a bit of reading on adopted dogs, but I couldn't find anything on the leash topic or the bathroom thing. Any advice? Advice on anything else with abused dogs would be helpful as well.

Thanks for helping this poor dog :thumbs up.

I second the advice for a harness and a better quality food when you get time to visit a pet store. Right now she sounds pretty freaked out so throw out any ideas you have about dominance especially if they involve an alpha roll! Be kind and gentle and try not to move really fast or freak her out. Avoid a lot of eye contact for right now as that might also freak her out.

For the potty thing I would go outside to where you want her to go and sit down on the ground with her on the leash. If you have a book then take it along and maybe read out loud to her but avoid looking at her. It might take 10-20 minutes but she should settle down and will probably pee :fingerscr.

Good luck :goodvibes:.

Chaser
July 23rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
Try to resist the urge to baby her. It shoulds like she has been through absolute hell and it's a perfectly normal human instinct to want to coddle her. Once she gets comfortable with you, you'll regret it and she'll be running the show!

Strive for a balance between kind/gentle and assertive/matter-of-fact. No raised voices or sharp corrections, but be sure you don't reinforce bad behaviour. Be calm and positive, praising her for good behaviours. Also try not be too physical with her if she is demonstrating any signs of being uncomfortable with too much contact. Just sitting near her for a few hours until she approaches you is good.

My GSD was terrified after coming home from the shelter and she didn't pee for hours and didn't poop for 2 days! And once she did, there were a LOT of accidents despite the fact that she was at least one. This is all normal and don't be surprised if you need to start at square one with potty training.

As for the leash, try to start creating a positive association with it. For now I would give her some freedom to sniff and roam while she's wearing it because she needs to gain confdence and see that you won't use it to hurt her. You can also try keeping it on her for short periods of time inside (supervised) and giving her pets, praise and treats. Be calm and make it fun.

Also, please get her to a vet asap to get her checked out. She may have injuries, parasites, etc. She should be examined and have a fecal done.

What kind of dog is she???

Thank you so much for looking out for the poor girl! :goodvibes:

Frenchy
July 23rd, 2009, 10:36 PM
If she hasn't gone after 24 hours a vet visit is in order.

Right now she sounds pretty freaked out so throw out any ideas you have about dominance

2 good advices :thumbs up

thank you so much for saving this dog :thumbs up but you have to know that , this can take time , and I mean weeks , months. It always depends on where this dog comes from. Maybe , she is just freaked out by what happened to her today :sad: if so , she will get better soon but IMO , doesn't sound like it.

Please forget about training her right now , she needs positive reinforcement , time , patience and TLC.

please keep us posted and good luck ! :goodvibes:

mastifflover
July 23rd, 2009, 10:47 PM
And once again thank you. She is really not sure who to trust and that takes a long time to build up. I have found that talking to them about anything helps to make them feel a little safer. But everyone is right as much as you want to cuddle her and make her feel safe you have to make sure that you do not lose the role of alpha. When she does do what she is asked make sure you reward her with treats and praise. Move slowly with her sudden movement make make her jumpy especially after the incident at work. Yes get her a check up. It will take time but we are always here for support. Good luck and remember rescue dogs will bond with you eventually and become your protector and friend they are worth the work. I know I have had my share.

Chaser
July 23rd, 2009, 10:58 PM
Good luck and remember rescue dogs will bond with you eventually and become your protector and friend they are worth the work.

Completely!!! :thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
July 24th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Sounds like she might have been tied up on a leash or hit with a leash...so she is trying to get away from it?

I would just be gentle with her like the others have said. Sit on the grass and just talk to her. maybe when she sees u sitting on the grass she will realize the grass won't hurt her.

Poor girl, she sounds absolutely terrified!

Debbie

BenMax
July 24th, 2009, 09:00 AM
WOW! You are one brave woman - CUDOS TO YOU!

I have a sneaking suspicion that this guy just may have used her for bait. I would be seriously considering contacting anyone with authority to go and visit that idiot to inspect his grounds.

The dog is tramatized. Really, Frenchy gave you the best advise. For the time being do not emphasize too much on the training aspects of this dog. This dog does not require for you too dominate her. The primary thing you should be focusing on right now is establishing trust. Once this is done - everything else will fall into place.

Get rid of the collar for now. Use a harness. Also, keep the harness on her in the house so that she gets accustomed to the feel. When you are home, attach the leash to the harness and let it drag with her - do not touch the leash in the home - outside of course.

Someone also said do not baby or coddle her. Move around the home with confidence, do things as normal. Do however acknowledge her from time to time, but do not over do it. Have scheduled 'play time' to encourage the puppyness in her - this ALWAYS works. This will be a confidence builder. Do not pat her on top of the head - stroke her under the chin to bring the head upwards - this also builds confidence.

I wish you the best and she will come around. She has had bad experiences thus far but it will pass - it takes time and patience.

Thank you so very very much for saving her.:grouphug:

bendyfoot
July 24th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I think from the sounds of it it's really going to be a matter of patience, time, and baby steps. You've already received some excellent advice. I'd definitely try the harness, leaving it on 24-7...if she's flailing while you're outside on a regular collar there's a chance she could slip out of it (I've seen this happen with even the snuggest of collars, how, :shrug: but it happens). For the "house line", maybe start with a very light, short line...even a 1 or 2-foot length of light rope or something, just so she's used to having something there but it's not going to snag on something or trip her.

Keep the trips outside very breif and very positive. Happy, confident posture from you, light words of encouragement (but not all "ooh, poor snookums" type stuff). Take her out only as far as she's comfy with for now, don't force the grass thing...if she' wants to go on concrete for now, let her, just bring a pail of water to rinse if it's a common area. You need to let her come to a place where she a) trusts you and b) isn't so freaked out by a leash/confinement. If she does her business outside successfully, praise and reward...pats and treats...keep it happy, but maybe don't make it a crazy party :party: like you would with a new puppy...she needs calm confident leadership right now, not excitement.

Other that that, in the house, routine, routine, routine. Wake up at the same time, potty breaks at the same time, feeding at the same time, play at the same time....it will help her settle in and feel confident about expectations.

One of our pups (also a rescue) did the whole drop n' shiver thing when we first got her...it took about, oh 1-2 weeks to get her past it and in the meantime she pottied inside on pee pads. See how scared she was (tense muscles, "airplane ears", tight mouth)? Holy crap she has a death grip on DW in this pic, and this was a few days after we got her!!!:laughing:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/217/446172951_37ef87a343.jpg

Honestly the biggest thing that helped us was our older dog...Jaida watched her and became curious about what Gracie was doing, and that helped her take her first few tentative steps down the driveway. Do you know any people who have calm, stable dogs that your gal could interact with outside? It's amazing the influence that can have on another dog's confidence especially if they're timid. This was her first time walking outside...she's still super-unsure (tail, ears), but her head is up and she's engaging...Gracie lured her up there...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/214/446172965_35a0788a18.jpg

I think another dog could potentially be really helpful for you...

BenMax
July 24th, 2009, 10:22 AM
As usual, Bendyfoot has excellent advice:thumbs up. Infact I love the idea of a light line rather than the leash while in the home...(I'll do this in the future).

Dog Dancer
July 24th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Any news on how the potty business is going today? We'd love an update. And a name...

JessicaInGA
July 24th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Lots of great advice! We borrowed a crate from a friend last night, but it was so late by the time it was brought in that we didn't really have time to properly acclimate her to it, therefore there was LOTS of crying. We finally just shut our bedroom door and let her out of the crate, and she cried for a few minutes but then settled down on the floor and went right to sleep, slept and was quiet all night.

When I woke up this morning she greeted me with a wagging tail and a happy face! :) I looked around the room and she hadn't had any accidents. I fed her, then took her outside again. She seemed to be doing well on the leash at first, much calmer, no spazzing, but then all of the sudden there were two other dogs approaching us, neither of them on leashes. One of them barked at her and she completely flipped out, bolted in the other direction and nearly tore my arm off trying to get away from them! I took her to the other side of the building and tried to calm her down, but she wouldn't have it, she wanted to go back inside. We tried to take her out once more before we left for work, but she wouldn't have it, wanted to come back in. My sister is at my place staying with her so she isn't alone.

She FINALLY peed this morning, but of course it was in the middle of the floor and it was like a gallon of pee because she'd been holding it for so long. Sister is taking her out regularly though. We have been moving slowly, no sudden movements, and trying to avoid loud noises, and trying not to coddle her. She is much calmer than she was yesterday, she even started playing with one of the toys we bought her! She has been pouncing on it all day. :) She also looooves belly rubs!

She is COVERED in fleas and ticks. We gave her a bath with flea and tick shampoo last night, which she did NOT like. She was practically climbing up the wall of the shower trying to get away! She looks much better now, but I feel like it didn't do anything for the flea and tick problem, she's still crawling with them. We managed to get a couple of the ticks off of her, but now she knows what we're doing and won't let us get more. There are a lot of them in her ears, which is really gross. I'm going to try to see if there are any vet's open tomorrow to get her looked at and to address the flea and tick problems, and we're also taking her to be scanned for a microchip tomorrow, on the off chance that she actually belongs to someone, which I seriously doubt.

We're looking into low cost spaying programs, and low cost vaccination programs, as the boyfriend and I are both in our early twenties and can't really afford all these vet bills we're about to rack up! We're going to wait until she's a little more settled in to have her spayed, as I don't think the stress of that procedure would be good for her right now.

I posted some pictures of her yesterday, but the post said something about it needing to be approved by a moderator, and I don't see it here. Is that normal for this forum?

JessicaInGA
July 24th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Thank you for taking this girl in. If she's determined to struggle when walking you may want to consider a harness that she can't slip out of rather than a collar. You should work with her like a puppy (do you have a guess as to how old she may be??). When she eats take her outside, when she wakes up take her outside. Just be calm and patient and eventually she will go potty and then you should praise her like crazy. If she hasn't gone after 24 hours a vet visit is in order. That said, if you are planning to keep her a vet visit is in order no matter what. Beneful is not the best food you could get for her though (although I realize you were probably in a huge hurry and it's no doubt better than garbage - just). There are lots of threads on here about foods that you can search through, but a rule of thumb is if it's got corn listed in the first five ingredients give it a pass - dogs don't digest corn it's just cheap filler. Anyhow, please keep us posted how it goes along, and let us know what you name her, and of course pics when you can.... Be patient she's a very nervous girl right now and probably doesn't really know how to trust.

A harness is a great idea, I feel like she's going to hurt herself on the collar. I will try to find an inexpensive one tonight.

The Beneful was a desperate buy, we just had to get SOMETHING in her belly! It's a small bag, so when it's gone we'll be buying something better. I have been doing some reading on dog foods, so I think I have a pretty good idea of what to look for now.

I've had several dogs before, but I feel like I'm totally out of my league with this one. I've never had an abused dog, so it feels like I'm just walking blindly without a sense of direction! We want to help her, but it's frustrating. We're already in love with her though.

I did talk about her new name in the post I made that mysteriously got lost, we decided to call her Shenzi, after the female hyena in the Lion King. She resembles a hyena, and is spunky, yet a coward, just like Shenzi. :) Plus we think it's a cute name. "Pretty girl" and "baby" seem to be her other nicknames!

JessicaInGA
July 24th, 2009, 02:51 PM
If she is a dumped puppy mill dog, she won't know to pee out of a cage.
You can try leaving her in a blocked off area with newspaper on the floor.
(kitchen or bathroom)
Having a dog cage available would help alot, even leaving the door open for her to choose if she wants to be in or out of it.

She didn't like the cage, we're going to have another try with it this evening and over the weekend, try to make it less scary for her.

I am dreading next week, having to go back to work when she will be alone at the house. Should I put her in the cage? Should I shut her in the bathroom? Should I let her roam the apartment? What to do?

JessicaInGA
July 24th, 2009, 02:53 PM
For the potty thing I would go outside to where you want her to go and sit down on the ground with her on the leash. If you have a book then take it along and maybe read out loud to her but avoid looking at her. It might take 10-20 minutes but she should settle down and will probably pee :fingerscr.

That's such a good idea! I'm going to try that pronto! Thanks so much!

JessicaInGA
July 24th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Try to resist the urge to baby her. It shoulds like she has been through absolute hell and it's a perfectly normal human instinct to want to coddle her. Once she gets comfortable with you, you'll regret it and she'll be running the show!

Strive for a balance between kind/gentle and assertive/matter-of-fact. No raised voices or sharp corrections, but be sure you don't reinforce bad behaviour. Be calm and positive, praising her for good behaviours. Also try not be too physical with her if she is demonstrating any signs of being uncomfortable with too much contact. Just sitting near her for a few hours until she approaches you is good.

My GSD was terrified after coming home from the shelter and she didn't pee for hours and didn't poop for 2 days! And once she did, there were a LOT of accidents despite the fact that she was at least one. This is all normal and don't be surprised if you need to start at square one with potty training.

As for the leash, try to start creating a positive association with it. For now I would give her some freedom to sniff and roam while she's wearing it because she needs to gain confdence and see that you won't use it to hurt her. You can also try keeping it on her for short periods of time inside (supervised) and giving her pets, praise and treats. Be calm and make it fun.

Also, please get her to a vet asap to get her checked out. She may have injuries, parasites, etc. She should be examined and have a fecal done.

What kind of dog is she???

Thank you so much for looking out for the poor girl! :goodvibes:

We are being very gentle with her and trying not to coddle her. She is an amazingly friendly dog, she loves attention. If one of us leaves the room or leaves the house she starts crying, I think we're already developing some separation anxiety there. If you ignore her she stops after a few minutes. I have read some things on how to overcome that, leaving her alone for a few minutes at a time, then gradually increasing the increments of time.

JessicaInGA
July 24th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Keep the trips outside very breif and very positive. Happy, confident posture from you, light words of encouragement (but not all "ooh, poor snookums" type stuff). Take her out only as far as she's comfy with for now, don't force the grass thing...if she' wants to go on concrete for now, let her, just bring a pail of water to rinse if it's a common area. You need to let her come to a place where she a) trusts you and b) isn't so freaked out by a leash/confinement. If she does her business outside successfully, praise and reward...pats and treats...keep it happy, but maybe don't make it a crazy party :party: like you would with a new puppy...she needs calm confident leadership right now, not excitement.

I will definitely be trying that with the outside thing. And we are keeping it very positive, I always praise her when she actually COMES when I call her. Someone I know suggested giving her a treat every time she comes in from being outside to give it a positive association, would that be bad?

Those pictures are adorable! I hope she settles in as well as yours. :)
As for the other dog idea, so far her track records with other dogs hasn't gone well... (See first post from today)

Dog Dancer
July 24th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Sounds like she is coming along. Any idea how old she is?? Of course if you get her to the vet they will be able to give you a good estimate of her age. I agree that having her professionally cleaned for fleas and ticks may be a good idea if she's that badly infested. You will be very sad if she is microchipped and has a family I can tell, but they may be missing her dearly.
Have you read up on crate training at all? Put the crate in a room you use a lot and leave the gate off for a while. Give her meals and treats in the crate, and make it a good place to be. If you just throw her in and close the door she will not be a happy girl. I would say if you can get her to comfortably go into the crate when you are home, then when you go to work I would put the crate in the kitchen and block her into the kitchen area. That way she'll be able to move around some, but the crate is there for her to rest and feel secure. Just my idea, one of my dogs crated well, the other not at all. Keep up the good work. Oh I love her name by the way. Very unique - can't wait until you can post a pic.
Perhaps in time if you have a friend with a very calm dog you could introduce her slowly to help her learn other dogs are okay. Socialization will be very important for her if she is that afraid already. Poor little thing.

JessicaInGA
July 24th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Sounds like she is coming along. Any idea how old she is?? Of course if you get her to the vet they will be able to give you a good estimate of her age. I agree that having her professionally cleaned for fleas and ticks may be a good idea if she's that badly infested. You will be very sad if she is microchipped and has a family I can tell, but they may be missing her dearly.
Have you read up on crate training at all? Put the crate in a room you use a lot and leave the gate off for a while. Give her meals and treats in the crate, and make it a good place to be. If you just throw her in and close the door she will not be a happy girl. I would say if you can get her to comfortably go into the crate when you are home, then when you go to work I would put the crate in the kitchen and block her into the kitchen area. That way she'll be able to move around some, but the crate is there for her to rest and feel secure. Just my idea, one of my dogs crated well, the other not at all. Keep up the good work. Oh I love her name by the way. Very unique - can't wait until you can post a pic.
Perhaps in time if you have a friend with a very calm dog you could introduce her slowly to help her learn other dogs are okay. Socialization will be very important for her if she is that afraid already. Poor little thing.

We guessed less than a year old, but someone saw a picture and said she could be anywhere from 6 mos-3 yrs, so now I have no idea. We are looking into vets for her right now.

I have done some reading on crate training, but I'm confused as to which room to put it in. One thing I read said that the crate should be in the room where you sleep at night so that the dog can sleep "with the pack", but I also read what you said, that it should be in a room you use often, which in our case would be the living room/kitchen/dining room. (Open floor plan) So should we be moving the crate around between the bedroom and the living room, or leave it in one place?

We will probably try that with blocking off the kitchen and putting the crate in there, that's a good idea. My boyfriend and I are on different lunch schedules, but we both come home for lunch, so she'll be corralled in the kitchen from 8:30-12, then I'm home for lunch from 12-1, then my boyfriend will be home with her from 1-2, then she'll be corralled from 2 until a little after 5:30.

I'll try to post another pic and see if it works this time.

My sister has an adopted greyhound, he's very calm around other dogs. We'll probably introduce them later down the line and see how it goes.

I'll keep you updated! Thanks again for everyone's help. :)

JessicaInGA
July 24th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Alright, let's try the picture thing again and see if it works...

Here's Shenzi chilling with her new toys. Yes, those wires have been picked up, that was when we first brought her home and we were in the midst of doggie-proofing.
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs158.snc1/5892_1188484788519_1120307284_30586438_3937492_n.j pg

Happy face!
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs138.snc1/5892_1188486588564_1120307284_30586449_2397015_n.j pg

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs138.snc1/5892_1188484908522_1120307284_30586441_1423605_n.j pg

Pics were taken before her bath, her coat is brighter now, and she's actually a shade or two lighter in color! That's how much dirt was in her fur!

Dog Dancer
July 24th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Shenzi is so cute! She looks pretty happy too. My guess would be in the one year range, but its just a guess. Her teeth look nice and clean, but she looks lean in the rib cage (not thin, just like she hasn't filled out yet).

I would put the crate in the living area and then move it into the bedroom at night. You should also put a piece of your own clothing in there with her so that she has your scent to keep her calm.

Good luck with finding a vet. Thanks for posting the update and pics.

Chaser
July 24th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Wow she is adorable!!!! :cloud9: And she does look a bit like a hyena!

It sounds to me like you've got a pretty good handle on all this. Please keep us updated and we're all here for support if you encounter problems as you move forward.

Thank you again for taking care of this sweetie! :angel:

JessicaInGA
July 24th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Wow she is adorable!!!! :cloud9: And she does look a bit like a hyena!

It sounds to me like you've got a pretty good handle on all this. Please keep us updated and we're all here for support if you encounter problems as you move forward.

Thank you again for taking care of this sweetie! :angel:

Thanks! She is a sweetie pie.

She's started being vocal today, she barked when someone walked past the window, and barked at us when we were unlocking the door. She is also play growling and play whining right now as she is throwing her toys around and pouncing on them.

She also FINALLY decided to go to the bathroom...all over my carpet. A gallon of pee and two huge steaming piles of poo, all in about 30 seconds. Trying to distract her from doing it did nothing, she just looked at us and kept peeing. I think we're starting to recognize the warning signs though, she starts pacing and looking nervous. We had litterally JUST taken her outside though, that's what kills me. So when we see her start doing this we're planning on taking her out every five minutes until she goes outside. Then praise her like crazy, of course.

Also, the boyfriend managed to teach her to sit in five minutes flat. Now it's a game, she keeps walking up to us and sitting down with an expectant look on her face like "Hey guys, look! I'm really good at this!" It's so cute. We have a pattern down that she gets a little treat when she sits to have her leash put on, and a little treat when she sits to have it taken off when we come back in.

We noticed something that concerns us, she seems to be pretty clumsy, and her depth perception doesn't seem correct either. Someone suggested to me that her vision may not be 100%, and I think that's quite possible. An example of how she is clumsy is that she will be walking along, then turn her head to look at something and smack it into the bookshelf or the coffee table, etc. It's like she doesn't realize the objects are there. She's not hurting herself because she's not going very fast, but things like that are happening frequently enough that we noticed it. Her depth perception being off is evident when she goes to pounce on her toys, she'll end up pouncing a foot in front of the toy and have to do it again. She also loses her balance rather frequently, she will be scratching and fall over. It doesn't seem to hinder her, but it's something I'll try to monitor.

Chaser
July 24th, 2009, 10:54 PM
She sounds very smart! :lovestruck:

Give the housetraining time....you may find she will have many more accidents! When we got Kailey from the shelter it was like she had absolutely no clue that going to the bathroom indoors was not welcome by us. And even when she did catch on we didn't like it, she tested her limits for a little while. Lots of patience required :rolleyes:

Be sure to mention the vision and balance concerns when you get to the vet. Sounds like she's going to need a topical flea/tick treatment from them. She looks tiny, so that won't be expensive.

Please keep us posted on her health and progress! :thumbs up

Frenchy
July 24th, 2009, 11:05 PM
omg Jessica ! She is gorgeous !!!! :lovestruck:

Bailey_
July 24th, 2009, 11:23 PM

We noticed something that concerns us, she seems to be pretty clumsy, and her depth perception doesn't seem correct either. Someone suggested to me that her vision may not be 100%, and I think that's quite possible. An example of how she is clumsy is that she will be walking along, then turn her head to look at something and smack it into the bookshelf or the coffee table, etc. It's like she doesn't realize the objects are there. She's not hurting herself because she's not going very fast, but things like that are happening frequently enough that we noticed it. Her depth perception being off is evident when she goes to pounce on her toys, she'll end up pouncing a foot in front of the toy and have to do it again. She also loses her balance rather frequently, she will be scratching and fall over. It doesn't seem to hinder her, but it's something I'll try to monitor.

Beautiful dog Jessica! I agree to have a vet look more closely at your concerns about her vision and depth perception, however if she is still a young pup her actions wouldn't concern me too much. Our 9 month old labradoodle is the biggest clutz you've ever seen, usually because she's easily distracted and loses focus on where she's walking; but she has a clean bill of health!

Definitely get it checked out, but don't worry until need be. :)

luckypenny
July 25th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Your pup is gorgeous :lovestruck:! Thank you for taking her in!

You may find this short article useful.

http://www.sfspca.org/resources/library/for-dog-owners/behavioral/shy-or-fearful-dogs.pdf

TeriM
July 25th, 2009, 01:55 AM
What a cutie :lovestruck:. When you take the pup for the vet visit and to have the flea/tick treatment make sure you ask (and test for) about possible tick diseases. They can be very serious problems if not treated. Make sure you also only use the ved prescribed flea/tick products as many of the pet store brands are highly toxic.

Tundra_Queen
July 25th, 2009, 05:12 AM

She's started being vocal today, she barked when someone walked past the window, and barked at us when we were unlocking the door. She is also play growling and play whining right now as she is throwing her toys around and pouncing on them.

She also FINALLY decided to go to the bathroom...all over my carpet. A gallon of pee and two huge steaming piles of poo, all in about 30 seconds. Trying to distract her from doing it did nothing, she just looked at us and kept peeing. I think we're starting to recognize the warning signs though, she starts pacing and looking nervous. We had litterally JUST taken her outside though, that's what kills me. So when we see her start doing this we're planning on taking her out every five minutes until she goes outside. Then praise her like crazy, of course.

Also, the boyfriend managed to teach her to sit in five minutes flat. Now it's a game, she keeps walking up to us and sitting down with an expectant look on her face like "Hey guys, look! I'm really good at this!" It's so cute. We have a pattern down that she gets a little treat when she sits to have her leash put on, and a little treat when she sits to have it taken off when we come back in.

she is adorable!

Could ticks give her some disease that would affect her balance? and even her sight?

If she was abused maybe one of her retinas are detached. Does she always walk into things on the same side?

Debbie

sasha101
July 27th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Aww bless , she's a little honey, bless you for saving her Jessica, I also took in a dog a couple of weeks ago, he's a black lab and so sweet. I have to agree with Ben,I think the idea was for that guy to take her home as bait for his pitbulls, which I have to say, just makes me speechless, or at least opinions that would be too strong to write here. You could try her with a Kong toy, stuffed full of yummy treats and frozen, when you go to work this would keep her busy and amused for a good while. You've already had some great advice, and I think you have the love it takes to turn this little girl into a loving companion, thanks for being you :thumbs up