Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wow, go Dad !!!

babymomma
July 23rd, 2009, 02:55 PM
My dad told my mom last night that he will be getting a German shepherd in the near future weather she likes it or not:D :laughing: :cloud9:

My mom and I have been talking about this for a while, and I have been telling her that it will happen, weather she likes it or not. And she has gotten used to the idea and she isnt resisting! :D:thumbs up

BUT, Here are the problems....

My mom, with her hge fear of dogs, will need a puppy so she can in a way "grow with the dog" and not be scared of him/her.. She has been around Kacee for 2 years, she is an adult GSD x Lab. And small for a shepherd x. She is still unsure of her. Because of her size. She will hold her leash while we walk and she is quite friendly to her AND she has offered her owners alot of money to keep her. But she still is very unsure. She doesnt really pet her. She panics if kacee tries to lick her. So getting a large ADULT dog will cause problems. :frustrated: She is fine with my aunts lab because shes been around her since she was a pup.

Mom wants to rescue. And so do I..

but, My dad wants a purebred. He has nothing against mutts, But he grew up with Pure bred GSD's. 1 Shepherd mix and A collie..
I can understand why he wants a purebred . (ok dont hate me, but with my obssesion with the breed, I would like a purebred as well sometime in life)..

Dad would like to rescue as well..

So, we need a purebred German shepherd puppy from a shelter:yell::frustrated:

guys, What are the chances of that ever happening here in NFLD?:confused::sad:

Im so fricken excited! This is a dream come true! :D

Bina
July 23rd, 2009, 03:59 PM
About a hundred years ago, when I was 15 ;), my family was considering buying a German Shepherd.
I hunted around, and found an ad in a newspaper (internet was not invented yet) for puppies that were not reg'd purebreds, but the price was right $30. We went to visit the pups, the parent dogs were there, and we took one home. Aside from the pup having tons of worms, he was healthy and turned into an amazing dog and lived until he was 15.
He went to obedience school, basic and advanced, he traveled from Quebec to Florida by travel trailer, and was a superb watch dog.
The best $30 we ever spent. :)
There are MANY shepherd mix pups around that are sometimes mostly shepherd.

babymomma
July 23rd, 2009, 04:07 PM
See Bina, I dont care.. I would LOVE to have a GSD x Lab just like kacee (theres always a few of them in shelters) If kacee didnt have floopy ears I would think she was pure shepherd. She has all the traits. The personality, the layalty.. I love her to death!

Its really my dads decision. It will ultimatly be his dog, Although i will be the one walking him/her, training him/her, feeding him/her.. Pretty much being the primary care giver. but then when I omve out. I wont be able to take him/her:sad:

If it were my decision, i promise you it would be different. If it were tottally up to me i'd get an adult purebred or mix froma shelter. ( Just recently a local rescue had a 3 yr old GSD with papers) ..

BenMax
July 23rd, 2009, 04:11 PM
Are there any rescue groups in Newfoundland? I googled and can only come up with a ferret rescue ( I guess that will not do.:laughing:).

If there is one, put your name in and fill out the application. If you pass this, they will advise you when one comes in.

Good luck.

babymomma
July 23rd, 2009, 04:16 PM
There are spca's, but no breed specific.. we'll send in our application to them all except the gander spca (bad experiance with a GSD x we were going to get 2 years ago) ..

The closest GSD rescue ive found is this one (http://www.nsgsrescue.com/availabledogs.html)

Maybe they wouldnt mind doing out of province adoption?

Bina
July 23rd, 2009, 04:21 PM
My Dad was also determined that we would have a REAL German Shepherd.
Our 30 dollar pup was about 90% pure, and we loved him just as much.
P.S. since then Dad has had about 5 pure reg'd GSDs and all of them have had huge medical problems. $$$$$

BenMax
July 23rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Did you see Rudy?? Holy - nice looking boy.

The experience you had 2 years ago - was 2 years ago. Things change and everyone has bad experiences now and then. Let it go and open up your options.

babymomma
July 23rd, 2009, 04:29 PM
Did you see Rudy?? Holy - nice looking boy.

The experience you had 2 years ago - was 2 years ago. Things change and everyone has bad experiences now and then. Let it go and open up your options.

I know! rudy is Gorgous! Poor guy had a bad start to life:sad: I wish we were ready RIGHT now.. But we will at least need 3 more months or so. I want to be Completely over my surgury first. And who knows, maybe wont be ready for 6 more months but with such a narrowed down search I would like to start looking right away. Know what I mean? :o

I just hope That dad doesnt get tp anxious for one and decide to go with a breeder. Of course it woul dbe reputable but still, I always told myself my next dog would be a rescue:o

Luvmypitgirls
July 23rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
You could also contact the RCMP, we have a friend that aquired a GSD from the RCMP, he was pure, but he failed a couple of the tests required to become a service dog, the gunshot test and I can't remember the other one, but it didn't hinder his ability to be a wonderful loving loyal campanion to a wonderful family.
I can't remember how much they had to pay for the adoption, but it wasn't unreasonable.
Just a thought.....
Btw, he lived to lived to be 15. All the RCMP dogs are cleared for hip issues and such. Of course nothing can be guaranteed 100%.

I hope your Dad finds what he's looking for and that you aren't stuck being the primary caregiver.

babymomma
July 23rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
You could also contact the RCMP, we have a friend that aquired a GSD from the RCMP, he was pure, but he failed a couple of the tests required to become a service dog, the gunshot test and I can't remember the other one, but it didn't hinder his ability to be a wonderful loving loyal campanion to a wonderful family.
I can't remember how much they had to pay for the adoption, but it wasn't unreasonable.
Just a thought.....
Btw, he lived to lived to be 15. All the RCMP dogs are cleared for hip issues and such. Of course nothing can be guaranteed 100%.

I hope your Dad finds what he's looking for and that you aren't stuck being the primary caregiver.

Thats a good Idea!
And I dont mind being the primary caregiver :D Actually, Im hoping for it:lovestruck:

Luvmypitgirls
July 23rd, 2009, 06:52 PM
Thats a good Idea!
And I dont mind being the primary caregiver :D Actually, Im hoping for it:lovestruck:

I know you are hoping for it, you have a big heart. I guess I'm hoping that you won't because when you leave home...

Tundra_Queen
July 24th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I think your mom is being so very brave! I hope u realize how brave she is being and tell her so.

If u have Obedience training there, maybe you can talk your mom into taking the puppy to the obedience classes. That way she will have a good bond with the puppy.

Thats a good Idea!

It wouldn't be a puppy I don't think, which wouldn't be good for your mom.

Debbie