Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sick kitty

Aprilj
August 15th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions. My four month kitty is vomitting, not interested in food, seems to have a difficult time chewing. She had exrays, two ivs and is at 70 percent activity. This is one week now.

heeler's rock!
August 15th, 2004, 11:22 PM
The vet's have no idea what's wrong with her? What type of food are you feeding her? Do you have any other pets? Is she an outdoor kitty? Sorry for all the questions but it might help get your kitty some help.

Lucky Rescue
August 15th, 2004, 11:24 PM
The vet has no idea what is causing this? Blood tests were done?

Aprilj
August 15th, 2004, 11:38 PM
The vet's have no idea what's wrong with her? What type of food are you feeding her? Do you have any other pets? Is she an outdoor kitty? Sorry for all the questions but it might help get your kitty some help.
We rescued her at 4 weeks old. She is indoors, she has had blood test, stool sample preventative worm medicine, She has been seen by three vets in the last week. Exrays showed nothing. She is adorable black tabby with striping. Her behavior is just slightly down. She does have a small poop once a day. When she eats she just kinda grinds the food. This is the best kept kitty. Her litter is completly changed every three days. She has eaten
royal canin since we got her.

Just now she refused the baby turkey, and the purina nutrition food and somehow let me know she wanted her old food and ate about two tablespoons. ( The vets told me not to feed her the old food, however I am scared that she has not eaten. Thanks

heeler's rock!
August 15th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Hmmmm...weird! I have 2 baby tabby's myself and I have no clue what might be wrong with her. Especially if they did blood tests and x-rays and everything! did they check her back teeth? Maybe she cracked one while eating one day and that's why she's grinding her food, maybe it hurts her.

Aprilj
August 15th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Hmmmm...weird! I have 2 baby tabby's myself and I have no clue what might be wrong with her. Especially if they did blood tests and x-rays and everything! did they check her back teeth? Maybe she cracked one while eating one day and that's why she's grinding her food, maybe it hurts her.
Would the teeth troubles account for the vomitting? This is my first pet of my life. It is actually my nine year olds. Should I have the blood test redone? Is there something out there to look for with these symptoms. The vet wants me to do ivs at home. Thanks . This is lonely work with this kitty. My daughter told me not to worry she said the kitty is too young to die.

heeler's rock!
August 15th, 2004, 11:58 PM
The vomitting could be caused by her not being able to chew her food properly. If it's too big, she may not be able to digest it properly and therefore what's left comes back up. What are the IV's for? To me it seems weird that they are medicating her without knowing what's wrong.....
I would get them to check her teeth. If those come back fine, then I would see a cat's only vet for a complete check up. A vet that only deals with cats will be better at know cat specific diseases. You could probably check her teeth yourself and see if they're broken or cracked. It could be as simple as getting your vet to remove a tooth. I'm gonna look some stuff up about what may be wrong with you kitty right now, and I'll post back with what I find out.

Aprilj
August 16th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Thanks for your thoughts. The Iv is hydration and she did get pepcid. They are mystified. The vomit does not look like food, but rather bile. Would you feed her the old food? She seems to want that. Thanks. I will be able to talk to the cat vet Monday afternoon. Do kittens just for no reason get sick?????? Thanks

Aprilj
August 16th, 2004, 12:16 AM
I need to get back with the kitty I will look for any replies thanks

heeler's rock!
August 16th, 2004, 12:16 AM
I checked and there isn't a whole lot out there. I'm gonna search more tomorrow. In the mean time, check her teeth to make sure that's not the problem. also, try to find a good cat's only vet to see if they can help. I am really sorry that your daughter is going through this and it must break your heart to hear her say that the kitty is too young to die. I'll see what I can find and if I can help you in any way, I'll do my best. I hope someone on this site has an idea as to what may be wrong so you can help your kitty.

heeler's rock!
August 16th, 2004, 12:21 AM
My cat used to thow up and it too looked like bile. If your cat wants the old food, I would give that to her, but in small quantities mixed with the other food. Maybe she just has a bug in her tummy that will pass. It looks good as they didn't find anything in her tests. Keeping her hydrated is good. Maybe she got into something that she shouldn't have. Cats are notorious for being curious so she could have eaten something bad for her. my friend's kitten ate potato peels once and was sick for over a week because they took so long to digest. He didn't throw up, but he had the runs. Keep me posted as to her progress... Hopefully she'll just pass whatever is in her system....

Lucky Rescue
August 16th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Do kittens just for no reason get sick??????

No, they don't, but sometimes they are born with genetic defects that only show up a little later on - malfunctioning internal organs (liver, heart etc)

If you are feeding her dry food, try canned food - something smelly like salmon flavoured. I guess her mouth, teeth and throat have been checked? It is of the utmost importance that she eat.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Little kittens who fail to thrive are very heartbreaking.:(

Aprilj
August 16th, 2004, 10:03 PM
The kitty got the anti vomit medicine today with some hydration. She perked up a little. I will give her that smelly food. She seems to want to eat more now. The vet suggested that we redo some blood work in a day or two. Thanks

heeler's rock!
August 16th, 2004, 11:53 PM
:o I'm so glad to hear that your kitty is starting to feel a bit better! Good luck with her and keep us posted!

Lucky Rescue
August 16th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Glad she's doing better! Keep us updated.:)

Aprilj
August 17th, 2004, 08:50 AM
The kitty ate some of that smelly wet food today. It is from the vet. She ate over a tablespoon on her own. Thanks for your help I'll keep you posted.
My daughter Siobhan says thank you to. She is with me now and is amazed at how many cat lovers there are besides her.

heeler's rock!
August 17th, 2004, 10:43 AM
:) Awww!! No thanks needed here. I am just really glad your kitty is starting to perk up. You are the true hero! Not many people would have gone as far as you already have to save this little angel! I truly believe more people need to care this much about their pets. If only.....
Your daughter sounds sweet and I pray for the best with her kitty! Keep us posted!!

Princesss04
August 17th, 2004, 10:55 AM
I am glad to hear that your baby is hanging in there and starting to get better. You both are angels to be taking care of this little baby so well. Good luck and keep us posted! :D

glasslass
August 17th, 2004, 11:05 PM
I hope you'll continue to update us on this little kitty. And photos? Please? :)

Luba
August 17th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Lets just hope it keeps gettin better :D

Aprilj
August 18th, 2004, 11:55 AM
I took her to the vet today. She has lost weight. They redid the blood work and she does not want to eat. I forced about 12cc into her. I am going to hear her about her blood work on Thurs. She really grinds her teeth loud when I am trying to feed her. I must confess I never before now understood cat people. I am now a cat person. I would ask myself "how could "these people spend all that money?" How could they stay up and spoon feed a cat?" I have all those questions answered. Thanks for the support. She is a black grey tabby with light striping.

SSAC
August 18th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Nausea will sometimes make a cat grind their teeth whilst eating. It's the idea of wanting to eating, but the nausea is too overwhelming. Has your vet suggested an ultrasound or exploritory surgery? Have they mentioned any concerns with the pancreas? Have they indicated any type of long term prognosis?

Aprilj
August 18th, 2004, 01:16 PM
I am not sure how much more testing I should put her through. They were going to do the barium exray which sounds horrible. She is so sad. The last vet said" lets just continue with the supportive care"

SSAC
August 18th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Ask your vet, based on kitty's current condition, if he could give you a "long term prognosis". That might help you deceide how far to go.

A barium x-ray is a series of X-rays taken after barium is given orally. Barium shows up on an x-ray as bright solid form. This allows the vet to see if the barium travels in the right direction. If it doesn't move after a few x-rays, a blockage is presumed. Normally a foreign body (object ingested) or a tumour. If found, the nest step is normally surgery. Surgery is your choice and no one elses.

No one can advise you on how far you should or shouldn't go. If you have to make the choice between surgery or letting kitty go :( , no one can slight you for the latter. You've done more that most people and you should be celebrated for that.

Lets hope that the barium travels and everything works out for the better!

Lucky Rescue
August 18th, 2004, 02:32 PM
SSAC, how is the barium given? Is the cat anesthetized, or.....?

SSAC
August 18th, 2004, 02:39 PM
It's given orally, normally via a syringe (without needle of course). Sedation isn't used, as the animal could choke on any liquid given orally if sedated.

The people giving the barium do/should take it slowly with kitty.

Lucky Rescue
August 18th, 2004, 02:58 PM
That's what I figured.:( Yes, extremely unpleasant for the cat, but if it uncovers a problem that can be fixed, well worth it.

glasslass
August 18th, 2004, 06:12 PM
I had the barium last January. It's not unpleasant. You drink it, tastes pleasant, but a bit chalky. The unpleasant thing for a cat is being forced to ingest it. Afterwards, you have to drink a lot of water to help get it out of your system. I would imagine, that would have to be forced too if the kitty wouldn't drink. The barium can be constipating if it's not eliminated from the system.

Aprilj
August 18th, 2004, 10:24 PM
The kitty will see an internast Thursday at 12:00. I am told by the vets that she can look at this very big mystery. Our little kitty is puzzling many.
She may rally. Again thanks, I have taken all the responsibility away from my girls 7 and 9. If she doesn't make it, I don't want them to feel they didn't do something right. I had nooooooooooo idea that kittys could be so complex.

Luba
August 18th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Jeepers this is more then just a head scratcher. I do hope they find out and that the kitty gets better.
Yu have my positive vibes sending over the net to you and the kitty :D

krdahmer
August 19th, 2004, 02:05 AM
We had a problem with similar symptoms...but our vet told us it was- i can't think of that word, but the one that kittens get that there isn't much of a survival rate. I was a wreck so I let my husband make the call being that he was a farmer and better able to look objectively. I still regret the decision we made to put the poor little guy down, especially because our vet really pushed the money issue on us. I can't help but think that .... well you know. Anyhow my point was that I know how heartbreaking a sick little one can be so I will pray that your story turns out much happier. :o

Aprilj
August 23rd, 2004, 07:06 AM
I am sorry about your kitty.

It was so nice of you to encourage us. We are reaping the benefits. April is much better. It may be fleeting but we will hope.