Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hmmm...

Luvmypitgirls
July 22nd, 2009, 04:12 PM
The lady that will be renting my house just called.
For the past few weeks I've been helping her research food for her newly aquired dog.
He is a Husky/Golden Ret. X.
After much debate, she decided on Acana Grasslands, which is a great food.
Before he came to her, he was eating NOname Kibble from Superstore.
So Acana is a huge improvement.
I warned her that it may at first upset his stomach, that his stool may be quite loose or wet and so on and so forth.I gave her suggestions on how to alleviate some of the issues too.
I also told her that at first he may be reluctant to eat and that with the extremely hot temps we are experiencing it may compound the issue.
I told her not to worry if he doesn't eat his meals entirely, or at all especially with the heat.
Well he's been on Acana for 1 week, and she just called to say she's thinking about switching his food again already, her reason, he only nibbles, he won't eat.
I told her that she hasn't given him or the food a chance. This dog is walking around with an extremely thick coat, given his breeds, and that more than likely it's the heat. I told her not to give up on it just yet. But she's adament that the dog is going to starve to death and she's changing the food come hell or high water.
I told her to go to dogfoodanalysis.com, she can figure it out from there.
His life has been in upheaval for weeks, he was abused at his previous home and neglected. He has a lot to adjust too, not just the food but his environment entirely.
I appreciate that she only wants the best for him, and she's willing to do whatever it takes, but it seems I'm getting into the same conversations with her several times a day when she calls.
I don't know maybe the heat and frustration with trying to get ready to move is getting to me too.
She seemed rather upset when I told her to go to the website, but seriously I have no further advise to give, and I can only repeat myself so many times.
I feel bad, I wish I could do more for her, but it seems like she just brushes off what I have to say anyway, so I'm at the point where it's like "why bother?":shrug:

edwina
July 22nd, 2009, 05:19 PM
Maybe after he is settled a few months with his new home and family, she can try him on the new food again. :shrug:

TacoGrl
July 22nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
I agree with edwina...this isn't really the time to be changing food or whatnot...suggest to her to retry after being there a few months or after the bag of crappy kibble is done...maybe try a better kibble and then switch to the good kibble...sometimes "upgrading" slowly helps...

Luvmypitgirls
July 22nd, 2009, 07:19 PM
I agree with edwina...this isn't really the time to be changing food or whatnot...suggest to her to retry after being there a few months or after the bag of crappy kibble is done...maybe try a better kibble and then switch to the good kibble...sometimes "upgrading" slowly helps...

She did upgrade already from crappy noname to Benefull (sp) and then to Acana Senior (sorry thought it was Grasslands).
With everything else going on and having to readjust, I too think she should wait before she changes it again, which I again mentioned to her, only to be told, "no, no I'm switching his food,he doesn't like the Acana otherwise he'd eat, he's a dog and dogs don't not eat for no reason". :rolleyes:

It's out of my hands now, can't make someone listen:shrug:

TacoGrl
July 22nd, 2009, 10:29 PM
Nope...you can't make people listen and sometimes they eventually learn through osmosis...sometimes not.

You could always try good treats if you set up play dates :shrug: and maybe she will try good food again after seeing the treats go over well. :shrug:

...but I wouldn't spend too much time on it...or you could be just :wall: and it will be you in pain, not her.

CearaQC
July 22nd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Sorry I can't help myself... just gut feeling.

But if this lady is calling you so many times asking duplicate questions, then the same thing is going on in her head. For some reason I just picture her in my head as a floor pacer. So she seems anxious a bit.

Compound that with the dog's ability to pick up on her vibes along with the heat with a big fur coat.

So not only has the dog changed homes, and food, but also energy from people.

If I was that dog I wouldn't want to eat either.

Luvmypitgirls
July 23rd, 2009, 04:46 AM
Sorry I can't help myself... just gut feeling.

But if this lady is calling you so many times asking duplicate questions, then the same thing is going on in her head. For some reason I just picture her in my head as a floor pacer. So she seems anxious a bit.

Compound that with the dog's ability to pick up on her vibes along with the heat with a big fur coat.

So not only has the dog changed homes, and food, but also energy from people.

If I was that dog I wouldn't want to eat either.

Wow, CearaQC, you've nailed it dead on.
The one saving grace for this dog is this woman's son, who absolutely adores the dog.
He went from absolutely no excercise to being taken for a short walk for the first bit (after my husband trimmed the dogs nails, they were so long he could barely walk the distance between the two houses:sad:) to being taken on 3-4 walks a day, for a minimum of 20 minutes but usually more like 45.
He has already lost weight, he is still quite heavy, but there is definately a change.
The open wounds he arrived with are all healed over and looking very good. He chewed himself at his previous home.
She called me again this evening, I didn't answer...I just didn't want to get into it with her yet again. I hate being that way, because I know her heart is in the right place, now if we could just get her head in the right place then perhaps the dog would have a chance...and I would get some peace.

Luvmypitgirls
July 23rd, 2009, 04:53 AM
Nope...you can't make people listen and sometimes they eventually learn through osmosis...sometimes not.

You could always try good treats if you set up play dates :shrug: and maybe she will try good food again after seeing the treats go over well. :shrug:

...but I wouldn't spend too much time on it...or you could be just :wall: and it will be you in pain, not her.

I tried a playdate last week, it lasted all of 15 seconds. This dog is not socialized whatsoever. As soon as he seen Jersey (who is the most laid back dog of my pack), he lunged, teeth bared, snarling and ready to fight.
Thankfully Jersey just backed away when I gave her the command.
She laughed and made some comment about how her dog intimidated a Pitbull. Yeahhh ok if that's her perception.