Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Would you say that?

goldenblaze
August 15th, 2004, 08:48 PM
I have a question and would love to hear from you please give me your thoughts. :confused:

As most know I am spreading the word about paws r us kennel and someone had wrote to go to another bulletin board and make a thread there so I did.

I noticed a photo page so again I open a post with my boys to show how proud I am, not a big deal right. I have viewed many pets picture here at pets.ca and never read a bad word anyone wrote about ones pet.

So my question is as follows would you write something like this? I was floored, do you think I have the right to be or not please be honest.

This is what she wrote

Is that the Golden that you got from the kennel in Canada? I hate to say it because it may just be the picture itself, but that pup's hips look horrible from that stance. If you haven't done it, I would make sure your vet knows your concerns about the place that you got him and most certainly have his hips checked as soon as your vet deems fit.

They are both beautiful!!!!! Thanks for sharing with us.

:rolleyes:

Here is the photo I posted keep in mind Blaze is running towards me in the photo.

heeler's rock!
August 15th, 2004, 10:51 PM
I think you have the right to be a bit upset as Blaze means everything to you, but it's hard to tell what someone's motives are when they're typing something. I think she said it out of concern as Golden's have problems with hip displaysia. Plus, the fact that you are unhappy about paws r us giving you sick puppies, probably makes her say this out of concern as they may have given you a pup with known hip displaysia. I wouldn't be too worried about it unless you feel Blaze needs to be checked. Just ignore her post as I think she ment to be more concerned than critical. Blaze is a beautiful dog by the way! :D
Also, anything I can do to help with your crusade to close paws r us, let me know. I'm in calgary so if you need anything on this end, give me a holler.

moontamara
August 15th, 2004, 11:02 PM
I already tried to respond once, but something went awry... I agree that you have the right to be offended, and "floored" and I'm sure I would be too. But I think you're just the victim of someone who means well but is seriously lacking in tact! I have a relative like that, and it has gotten to the point where it is just funny to hear what she has to say. She once commented on my cats when I was growing up. She said, "The little one is very pretty, but the other one is nothing special." Nothing special???? Ahhh!!!!!!! There were a thousand special things about my sweet Percy! Anyway, I've learned that the best way to handle a lack of tact is with all the grace you can muster.

Your puppy is a sweetie pie, by the way! Absolutely beautiful! Funny angle in that picture, I guess -- but it was a strange response, as if your puppy had that serious of a problem, you would obviously know about it!!! Oh well!

Lady_D
August 15th, 2004, 11:29 PM
( Goldenblaze I know EXACTLY how you feel/felt )

First of all, its a picture - simple as that. You cant tell anything from a picture!! The angle, lilghting, his stance, ect. can all effect the way the pup looks so take her words and throw it out the window :D

Oh and do listen to MoonTamara, she seems to have her head on right!!

glasslass
August 16th, 2004, 01:31 AM
I would ignore and not worry about it. When I look at that picture, I see a pup in action, intent on his play. When Den-Den gets a happy going, he'll bunch up his back legs and stick his head and shoulders up high and he can't run fast enough. He looks like a big jack rabbit with his ears flapping! You can't tell anything from that picture except that he's a wonderfully happy puppy! :)

Cinnabear
August 16th, 2004, 01:47 AM
I wouldn't be upset at what she had said. She has your dog's interest at heart. Its just her opinion. You take it with what it was given. You can not expect her too see what you see.

Lucky Rescue
August 16th, 2004, 09:19 AM
I agree with Cinnebear. This person is commenting on your dog's physical condition and by saying "horrible" they mean the dog looks as though it could have a joint problem or HD. It was not meant as a personal insult, but rather as an evalution.

Goldenmom
August 16th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Ok, here I go.

No, I wouldn't be upset. The way she said it was not the nicest put, however, she only has the dogs best interests in mind. She is making sure that "if" the dogs hips are bad, that you have a look at them.

Honestly, not everyone is a good owner. Believe me, there are people that wouldn't even notice that their pup has hips problems. I can spot a problem very quickly in pups and older dogs.

I think she was making sure that you have a look at them and have them checked out.

I would have simply replied: Thank you for your concerns. I think the angle of the picture and the stance the pup had at the time the picture was taken, looks like she has problems. I can assure you that my vet has thoroughly checked her out and all is fine.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

Luba
August 16th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Wow that was a shocker to read that post!

I would ignore it, others will see it for what it is. This person prob has a reputation of being that way!! :D

Blaze is beautiful :D

Cactus Flower
August 16th, 2004, 11:57 AM
I can imagine how your jaw dropped and your heart hurt a bit when you read that. I do agree that this post could have been put a little more tactfully. But you don't know this person and didn't know how to take it. I bet if LuckyRescue had posted that, you wouldn't be quite as offended, as you already know Lucky and Lucky's intentions and sentiments. In addition, the poster does not know you and how you might take things, and what a responsible pet-parent you are.

The poster did say I hate to say it because it may just be the picture itself, but that pup's hips look horrible from that stance.

I believe they had good intentions, and the hip does look a bit odd in that picture with a deep shadow in the "socket" area, etc.

Why not just be perfectly honest and reply with something like" Wow, at first I was taken aback by your comment- it seemed rather harsh. But I realize you don't know me and vice-versa. Yes, it is definitely just the picture. But thank you for your concerns. The vet has thoroughly checked out my pup and all is well! :)

goldenblaze
August 16th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Thank you to everyone that answered this for me like I said I was floored. Okay I agree that I should ignore it for more than one reason and they are. This person could be child writing that comment if this person would of read the post about Paws that I worte than they would read about Blaze seeing the Dr for months now. Come on are we both dumb the Dr and I? I lost my Lab to HD in April would we not make a point of talking about it and making sure Blaze is okay. Remember Blaze was small he had a very hard start in life and was underweight and was was running in the photo. He is now 6 months 45.4 pound last week on the day of his neuter his parents are both small well normal size for a golden. She is 64 pounds the father is 67 Blaze will not be a large golden but a happy smaller golden which is fine with me. If I wanted a 85-95 pound dog I would of bought one.
Now here I go agree or not it is up to you.
When I look at a photo of a pet you post I might now think alot of the photo but I would never write telling you so. it is
not like I said hey anyone think my dog has " horrible " hip!
I also must say that yes we do not know each other at all so to me that is even more of a reason not to open my mouth about what I see in a photo if not asked. It did not floor me with worry because I know he is fine it was her adding that comment when not asked. For all I know she has dogs that are not cared for and have HD, how would anyone know forsure. Well that is my feeling thanks again to all that took the time to read and answer my question. :)

goldenblaze
August 16th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Ok, here I go.

I can spot a problem very quickly in pups and older dogs.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

How can you spot a problem very quickly when a Vet must do a x-ray to know. When Blaze went to his Dr for the very first time at 8 weeks (me being the great mom i am) :( I asked the Dr about checking for "horrible hips" HD and she told me that it must be x-rayed when he was older. She also told me that Blaze's hips felt good, nothing to worry about. I had lost my Lab to HD and you can not tell me that you would of known by looking at him. This guy showed no pain, he played and ran very active everyday the day he showed pain (me being the great mom I am) I called his Dr and off we went.

I have the book "Golden Retriever's for Dummies" great book by Nona Kilgoe Bauer and in the book it states.
The only current diagnosis is through x-ray. by the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals dogs must be at least 2 yrs of age. Breeders often obtain a preliminary rating to screen hip before embarking on a training program. Page 189 if you have this book. Again Blaze is 6 months and growing.

:)

goldenblaze
August 16th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Sorry wanted to add photo of Blaze just standing not running.
I think his hips are just fine. Blaze is with little half brother Mr Frodo my God Son :D

SSAC
August 16th, 2004, 03:33 PM
I think he's bloody handsome!!!!! :D

No one can diagnose from a picture, too many varibles. I'm sure they meant well. I can only imagine how those words hurt, especially loosing a friend to HD :(

Goldenmom
August 16th, 2004, 04:43 PM
How can you spot a problem very quickly when a Vet must do a x-ray to know. When Blaze went to his Dr for the very first time at 8 weeks (me being the great mom i am) :( I asked the Dr about checking for "horrible hips" HD and she told me that it must be x-rayed when he was older. She also told me that Blaze's hips felt good, nothing to worry about. I had lost my Lab to HD and you can not tell me that you would of known by looking at him. This guy showed no pain, he played and ran very active everyday the day he showed pain (me being the great mom I am) I called his Dr and off we went.

I have the book "Golden Retriever's for Dummies" great book by Nona Kilgoe Bauer and in the book it states.
The only current diagnosis is through x-ray. by the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals dogs must be at least 2 yrs of age. Breeders often obtain a preliminary rating to screen hip before embarking on a training program. Page 189 if you have this book. Again Blaze is 6 months and growing.

:)

You misunderstood what I said. When I am walking behind a pup or dog, I can usually tell if the dog has problems or not. No, I am not a vet and I don't have x-ray eyes. I just know what is right and what is wrong with the way a dog should run or walk. Thats all.

You dog looks perfect. It was only the angle of the picture, nothing else.

I think you are taking this much too personal. If you explained to the person that his hips are fine and been checked, it was just the picture, she would agree and that would be the end of it. Some people just don't know how to say things tactfully without getting people going. Some are just plain sh**disturbers.

Heather

Iggette
August 16th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Can't say much more than............I agree no harm was ment by it, she simply jumped to the wrong conclusion based on the angle of the photo she said so herself and then said "they are both beautiful thanks for sharing" doesn't sound like someone who is trying to be cruel IMHO