Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat is prego and I need advice

KateyBaby
July 22nd, 2009, 02:26 PM
((I HAVE ALREADY WRITTEN THIS TWICE AND SOMEHOW I KEEP MESSING UP AND LOSING IT. SO, I MAY LEAVE A FEW THINGS OUT AND MAY END UP POSTING MORE ONCE I REALIZE WHAT I LEFT OUT...lol))

My kitty Deah got out of the house one night and I know she is prego. If its true about the 63 days after being impregnated, she is due around Aug 27. She has been eating a lot more. At least twice as much as she used to. She's been very needy. Her nipples are MUCh more visible than before. She has a different laying position. And her normally tiny belly, is now growing. How can I be ready when she is going to have them. When I was in 6th grade, I had a cat who gave birth on my bed. The comforter was stained. How can I avoid that happening? And how do I know when she is done giving birth after she has had kittens? Id also like to know what is the aftercare. Do I need to do anything for her or the kittens to make sure they are safe?

I have set up a spot for her to lay but she chooses to lay on the carpet, chair, bed, or a pile of clothes. Maybe I can get her used to the blankets Ive got set up for her. Anyway, when we got her back in early October, she seemed only about two months old. She was ALWAYS a small kitten. Her sides always seemed to cave in like she hadnt eaten in a week or so. When I fill her food bowl, she usually takes about 2 days to finish it. Now, I fill her bowl at least everyday. So she is eating a lot more. I have posted pictures of her in my album. I also want to know if she is a safe size or if I should be worried. I dont have any recent pics since Christmas. My camera broke. Any help would be appreciated.

Masha
July 22nd, 2009, 02:37 PM
You should haev her seen by a vet, especially if you are concerned about her size or about any other aspect of her pregnancy; please see a Vet asap, it may save her and the kitten's life.

sugarcatmom
July 22nd, 2009, 02:42 PM
Absolutely take her to the vet, like today. It may not be too late to have her spayed and the kittens aborted. Considering millions of unwanted cats are killed in shelters every year, it really would be the kindest thing to do.

14+kitties
July 22nd, 2009, 02:52 PM
You probably won't like my advice but here it is...... I would take her to your vet and have her aborted. You say she is not even a year old and very tiny. That could mean potential birth problems. Not to mention the possibilty that she may die during the birth of the kittens if you don't have vet supervision. We can't tell you if she is a safe size to give birth. We are not vets.

Do you know the male she mated with? Do you know if he has any health issues which could be passed on to your cat or kittens? There are some pretty deadly diseases out there for kitties. Not to scare you but it is what it is.

As to worrying about your comforter being stained.. if she chooses to give birth on your bed then I guess you buy a new comforter. :shrug:

Another reason for getting her aborted... there are millions of cats being euthanized every single year because there are no homes for them. Adding a few more will just add to the problem. Please consider getting her aborted and spayed asap.

Winston
July 22nd, 2009, 02:54 PM
She sure is cute ! As the others have mentioned you will really only know for sure if she and her babies are healthy unless you see a vet. They are really the only ones that can diagnose that. From a picture is really isnt easy!

Please make sure she doesnt get out right after she has the babies cause she can get pregnant again right away!

Let us know what your vet thinks! :thumbs up

Cindy

BenMax
July 22nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
Get her aborted.

Luvmypitgirls
July 22nd, 2009, 06:22 PM
Get her aborted.

and spayed....asap. Please

Love4himies
July 22nd, 2009, 07:09 PM
She should be spayed.

lUvMyLaB<3
July 22nd, 2009, 07:53 PM
I have fostered cats that have come to me days before giving birth, too late to do anything. Where they choose to have the kittens is where they will have them, Fine with me.. My last concern is a stain.. You can make a box for her, and get her used to it now, maybe she will choose to use it.

I agree with others, in this situation, ask a vet to abort the kittens.

I don't say that often. But that age can be scary, you do not want to know what I went through with a foster a few months ago..

Also she should be having regular check ups, at this stage I would have already had the vet tell me how many babies there are. That should be priority #1, a check up.

Also, I don't think that people that have to ask questions about very basic kitten birthing and care should be the people in charge of the pregnancy and birth. So many things can go wrong, and your situation is higher risk. There can be complications with your cat and the kittens that can cost them their lives, and it is important to know what they are and what the signs are, and what a normal pregnancy and delivery is.

And a blanket is far less important than lives. I have had some born on my couch. I didn't care..

KateyBaby
July 22nd, 2009, 10:40 PM
I am not positive that she was only 2 months when we got her. She looked young and small. Im assuming she is close to being a year old. My vehicle isnt working at this moment so I am just waiting on my husband to get off work early to take her asap.

I will be getting her spayed. Most definately. She isnt allowed out of the house. The only way she got out before was because she was sitting on the porch and ripped the screen. So shes not allowed to go on the porch anymore. I can GET the male cat who did this. He comes around sometimes. Ive never seen him up close though. I think he is afraid of us or something. Im sure if I put some food outside, he will come and maybe I can take him to ask them if there is anything he has that can be passed on. (? right ?)

I dont mind the comforter. I was just wondering if I could avoid it. I did set up a blanket for her ealier right before I started this post and she seems to like it. She has been laying on it a lot since then. So my worries about that are done. I dont know how I could get the kittens aborted. Unless she is definately in danger, I cannot do that. Abortion is abortion. I cant do that. If she has kittens, I will keep them and when I need to find them a good home, I will do so. I dont believe in just dropping animals out into the wild to fend for themselves, I dont believe in taking them to the vet to be killed.

I just want to know if there is anything I can do to get prepared for it. Heating pads? Anything? I know I will be able to ask the vet as soon as I take her. Which will hopefully be this week.

I will definately be taking her to the vet asap and I will get her spayed. I just dont know about getting the kittens aborted...I dont know if I could go through with that. Thank you all for your advice!

CearaQC
July 22nd, 2009, 10:49 PM
Well you need to do lots of reading and prepare yourself. Don't go into this blind.

Tundra_Queen
July 23rd, 2009, 04:59 AM
When u take her to the vets ask the vet what he thinks. I don't normally believe in abortion, but if the vet thinks she is too small and in danger and tells u they need to be aborted I would get the babies aborted as sad as that is. But u need to put Dean first.

Debbie

14+kitties
July 23rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
Well, seeing as you are determined to go through with this you need to do as much reading as possible. You need to be ready for any possibility.

Some sites for you to read and keep handy.......

http://www.waterloowest.com/articles/breedingcats.html
http://haileyclarkwebsites.com/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=44

http://www.animalsdr.com/articles/info/birthincats.html

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Cats-1606/2009/2/queening-1.htm

http://cats.about.com/cs/pregnancybirth/a/pregnancybirth.htm

That should give you at least the basis of what you need to know.

Just remember, when it comes time to give up those kittens ..... don't advertise free to good home. It rarely happens they get a good home. Usually they get a good home till they are big enough they start getting into mischief. Then they are put outside to fend for themselves, having babies, risking being hit by cars every time they try to cross a road or, if they are Toms, getting into fights because they haven't been fixed before being put outside, looking for females all the time to impregnate....... the problems go on and on.......
In the worse case scenario they don't even have that much of a chance. People look for the "free to good home" ads, pick up the kittens and they get a short ride to the nearest labratory to be used for experiments. Or, and this happens more than you think, they get used for a snakes meal.

KateyBaby
July 23rd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Just remember, when it comes time to give up those kittens ..... don't advertise free to good home. It rarely happens they get a good home. Usually they get a good home till they are big enough they start getting into mischief. Then they are put outside to fend for themselves, having babies, risking being hit by cars every time they try to cross a road or, if they are Toms, getting into fights because they haven't been fixed before being put outside, looking for females all the time to impregnate....... the problems go on and on.......
In the worse case scenario they don't even have that much of a chance. People look for the "free to good home" ads, pick up the kittens and they get a short ride to the nearest labratory to be used for experiments. Or, and this happens more than you think, they get used for a snakes meal.

There is no way I would give them up by advertising it like that. I may be able to give them to friends or family. Thats where I would start first if I were going to give them up. And if I cant find a home for all of them between my friends and family, I will keep them. i know plenty of animal lovers. My sister would jump at the chance to have another cat. She went to a technical HS to study being a vet. She told me a couple of things. I will look into those sites. Thank you!

KateyBaby
July 23rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
When u take her to the vets ask the vet what he thinks. I don't normally believe in abortion, but if the vet thinks she is too small and in danger and tells u they need to be aborted I would get the babies aborted as sad as that is. But u need to put Deah first.

Debbie

If the vet tells me she is too small and that she is in danger, I will go ahead with getting them aborted. My husband is trying to get off of work early today so that we can take her. Im crossing my fingers that he does because I want to know how things are and everything.

Bina
July 23rd, 2009, 02:52 PM
Most vets are well aware of the problems in finding good safe homes for kittens and cats, and will abort these accidental pregnancies.
I know it sounds horrible, but try to find homes for cats/kittens when you tell people that right away they will need to spend
at least $200-$300 for spay/neuter, vaccinations, worming, and vet check.
Best wishes to your kitty.

sugarcatmom
July 23rd, 2009, 03:44 PM
If the vet tells me she is too small and that she is in danger, I will go ahead with getting them aborted.

If you do go through with the pregnancy, please feed your kitty the best food you can afford, which should not include any dry. A quality high-protein canned food or balanced raw diet is the best. Kibble, even the most expensive brand, is poor nutrition for felines. www.catinfo.org

Good luck, and let us know how the appt goes.

lUvMyLaB<3
July 23rd, 2009, 06:11 PM
Please feed canned food. The thing is that your cats kittens will be the same as every other kitten, and when yours come into this world, at least that same amount will be killed. Cats are killed in insane numbers everyday, thre are simply too many. To bring more into this world is giving a death sentance to those that are already here. Get your cat checked by the vet asap. Learn everything you can, it is a lot of knowladge to fit into a short time. Make sure the vet is available to call when labour starts, and call when it does. Don't wean them at 6 or 8 weeks, that is way too young. After the kittens are weaned your female can be spayed. Also, some vets will spay and neuter at 2 or 3 pounds. Please consider having these kittens fixed before you leave your home so you know this does not happen again. Yes it will cost money, but that is your responsibility. You want to bring them into this world then you have to take responsibility for them. For every home you find for yours it is one less home for others that need it. Finding homes for kittens also may not be as easy as you think.

KateyBaby
July 23rd, 2009, 06:44 PM
If you do go through with the pregnancy, please feed your kitty the best food you can afford, which should not include any dry. A quality high-protein canned food or balanced raw diet is the best. Kibble, even the most expensive brand, is poor nutrition for felines. www.catinfo.org

Good luck, and let us know how the appt goes.

My husband is taking off work tomorrow. We have to schedule an appointment for her as soon as they open. He didnt get home until it was too late. :( Hopefully they have an appointment available. Im tired of waiting to take her...

As far as the food, I have tried giving her canned food. She is very picky and wont eat it. i can try again with her. I will take a look at that website too. Those other ones were very helpful. I have set up a box in my bedroom closet. Away from everything.

KateyBaby
July 24th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Had my husband call the vet this morning at 8:30a. We made an appointment for 11:30a. So in one hour we will be at the vet for her appointment. :) I cant wait! Ill post when we get back to let you all know how it goes. Thank you all for your advice and comments.

BenMax
July 24th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Good luck KatyBaby - we will be thinking of you.

Winston
July 24th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Kateybaby good luck at the vets..lets hope its promising for your little one. :thumbs up

Dont get too discouraged about the canned food but believe me you may have to try various kinds before you get one they like. My 2 were very picky. You can add things to attract them as well..What I noticed is that my 2 will only eat the pate type...cant have chunks at all..if there is a broth they lick it up and leave the food. I found Dick Van Pattens formula they finally liked and have been giving it to mine. I also added water to the canned if they didnt like it too much and they would at least lick it and get some into them.

The links you have are great and will help you out. Good luck and I look forward to an update!

Cindy

KateyBaby
July 24th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Woo...Very tiring and HOT day today. lol. It is now 3:40pm. Just got home with Deah with great news. :D

They did a couple of tests on her. Checked for feline leukemia (sp?), rabies, worms, etc. Perfectly healthy. She got 3 vaccinations. So all in all, it only cost 140. But really only 130 because I paid an extra 10 for a pet carrier..my faher in law had the one we used to have...lol And reading the receipt, they trimmed her nails. She must have got them with em. lol. She never scratches but today...wow...got me a few times.

Vet said that she is in great condition to go through with the birth. He definately felt one fetus in there. She weighs 7 pounds. :)

So we will be going through with the birth. He told me that she would make her own spot and that it'd be okay if she picked under the bed. (Yea, I think NOT!) I am not going to let her have them under the bed. I want to be able to make sure everything is ok if I need to. I will be blocking off my sons bed today or tomorrow. Ive found her under there the last couple of days.

So anyway, I am relieved and excited. Im sure my husband is happy. Now I can stop worrying. lol. Last night I was driving him nuts with my worrying...Anyway, thanks for your comments everyone! :)

TeriM
July 24th, 2009, 05:46 PM
They vaccinated when she was pregnant :eek:. That is not recommended so make sure you keep a good eye out for any possible reactions. Do you know what vaccines they gave her?

Good luck, you have got some great advice here.

14+kitties
July 24th, 2009, 06:10 PM
http://maxshouse.com/vaccine_protocols.htm
EFFECT ON FETUSES. Developing fetuses are much more susceptible to damage by vaccine viruses than are kittens or adult cats. Fetal death, abortions, resorptions, or congenital birth defects can be the result of vaccination of a pregnant cat with certain vaccines.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=0+1764&aid=1050

In general, avoid using any medications, drugs, or vaccines in pregnant or lactating (producing milk) animals. Any vaccine component that is modified live could conceivably cross the placenta and cause defects or deaths of the fetuses. This is known to be true in non-immune cats vaccinated with a modified live panleukopenia vaccine during pregnancy. Some vaccines, however, have been tested in pregnant or lactating animals and can be used in circumstances in which the animal does not have immunity to a specific disease and needs to be immunized. If vaccination must occur, use a killed vaccine. Your veterinarian will be able to help you determine which vaccines can or should be given to your pregnant animal.
Vaccinating a lactating animal will not provide protection to her nursing offspring. The mother's immune system will take at least a week to react to the vaccine and produce higher levels of antibody. And remember, the newborns can only receive antibodies from their mother through the colostrum in the first 36 hours of their lives. By the time the mother's antibody level has increased, the offspring will no longer be able to absorb them. The vaccination, then, may help protect the mother, but it will not provide antibody protection to her nursing offspring.

http://www.kittencare.com/askKC_Vaccines.html

Love4himies
July 24th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I can't believe a vet would vaccinate a pregnant cat :eek:. If you see any reactions what so ever, get her to a vet (preferably a different one :frustrated:). Sending some :goodvibes: that all goes well.

KateyBaby
July 24th, 2009, 09:48 PM
WHAT?! Holy cow. That stupid man...Maybe he wasnt listening when I told him I wanted to know if she was too small to have the kittens because I only want to abort them if it was dangerous for her. Ooooohh....Now, I am REALLY mad...What an idiot he was. And to think, he has been my father in laws vet for so long now. I will be talking to my father in law and probably the vet about this soon. This makes me very angry...I will be keeping an eye on her.

She has been sleeping a lot since we got home. On the way home, I was riding with my mom, who doesnt have a/c in her car (IN FLORIDA! AHH!) so we had the windows down. I had her wrapped in a towel. I noticed she was opening her mouth (Like a rabid cat or something) in the car. No sound came out while doing this. So I told my mom to look. She said, "Maybe its the wind" So I covered her a little better and kept giving her some cold water that I had. She was scared because of all the noise from the driving (passing cars, etc) so her heart was beating like crazy. She stopped the mouth thing when we got home.

Man, do I have some words for that vet...Thank you guys...Im really mad about this now...:sad::mad::fingerscr

KateyBaby
July 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM
They vaccinated when she was pregnant :eek:. That is not recommended so make sure you keep a good eye out for any possible reactions. Do you know what vaccines they gave her?

Good luck, you have got some great advice here.

Copying what the receipt says:
Feline Leukemua Vaccination
FVRCPC Vaccination
Rabies Vaccination

I dont remember what he said that the FVRCPC was. I will read up on the other sites.

14+kitties
July 24th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Please do not risk that baby's life any more than it already has been. Use a carrier for in a vehicle and any time you take kitty out. It is way too easy for a cat to get spooked and jump out an open window. Then you won't have to worry about getting through the birth. You won't have a cat period.
Believe me, I am not being nasty. I have heard of it happening all too often. Usually at/near cars after being at a vets where they have already been stressed to the max.
Btw, seven pounds is not a big size to be having babies. But you have a few other things to worry about now. I hope and pray she is ok. If the vet gave her shots he shouldn't have then it would be the kindest thing to have her aborted and spayed.

sugarcatmom
July 24th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Copying what the receipt says:
Feline Leukemua Vaccination
FVRCPC Vaccination
Rabies Vaccination

I dont remember what he said that the FVRCPC was. I will read up on the other sites.

FVRCPC is a 4-in-1 combo vax for Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis (FVR), Calicivirus (C), Panleukopenia (P), and Chlamydia (C). So your cat didn't get 3 vaccines, it actually got 6. All at the same time. That's a huge assault on this poor cat's little body, already taxed by having to support another life. AND, she was vaccinated for Chlamydia, which is not a core vaccine and actually isn't recommended unless the cat lives in stressful multi-cat situations like a shelter. Some info from the link that 14+kitties gave you: http://maxshouse.com/vaccine_protocols.htm

The frequency of adverse systemic events associated with C. psittaci vaccines is higher than that associated with other commonly used vaccines; reactions include lethargy, depression, anorexia, lameness, and fever 7 to 21 days after vaccination. Because signs of disease associated with C. psittaci infection are comparatively mild and respond favorabty to treatment and because adverse events associated with use of C. psittaci vaccines are of greater concern than adverse events associated with we of many other products, routine vaccination against C, psittaci infection is not recommended. Vaccination may be considered for cats in multiple-cat environments whom infections associated with clinical disease have been confirmed.

I would seriously consider finding another vet, preferably a feline-only one who more than likely would have known this.

TeriM
July 24th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I'm sorry, I know you were trying to be responsible and then this happened :sad:. Stupid freakin vet :frustrated:.

:grouphug:

TeriM
July 24th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I will send Dr. Lee a message to ask him what he advises in this situation.

Dr Lee
July 25th, 2009, 12:13 AM
It looks like you have gotten some great advice and links. I don't know how much I can add. For the record, I do not vaccinate cats that I know are pregnant or think might be pregnant. With that said, this situation does occur. I personally have not seen kittens that I know were harmed from the vaccination of the mother but that is the concern.

I hope that helps.

kathryn
July 25th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Vaccinating pregnant cats isn't really a good idea. I love vaccines as weird as that may be, but especially the FeLV vaccine is extremely unstable as it is already! It is not really recommended in the vet community at all, unless you got one of the new Merial PureVax which is a bit safer.

I would suggest you have her spayed at this point. I have 4 foster kittens left right now I am still trying to find homes for. Just one state above you thousands of unwanted cats are gassed to death everyday. Check out http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/GA483.html. Just in the metro Atlanta area alone over 80,000 unwanted pets are killed each year.

I volunteer in a low cost spay/neuter clinic and aborting kittens is not nearly as horrible as it sounds. I've seen it done alot of times. The first time I was kinda like HOLY CRAP but in all honestly 99% of the times the embryos are very very tiny. I don't want to creep anyone out but I've also been there when a pregnant uterus was open and it's hardly traumatic. The fetus's really aren't "alive" and don't cry helppppp meee or anything. I'm sorry I probably am creeping people out now :rolleyes:

Anyways, spaying a pregnant cat or dog involves a bit more risk but overall the benefits outweigh the risks and the longer you wait the more complicated the situation becomes.

Also I've noticed the majority of people who come in with 'pregnant cats' usually turn out to just be chubby kitties.

As unfortunate as it is that this situation happened, this really would be the best option. For every kitten you find a good home for that's one more kitten already living that has to be slaughtered. I'm sorry if that's harsh, but I'm 17 and I've been doing this for quite a while and am 100% pro spay/neuter, no questions asked. I am also the owner of a stray I rescued a few years back who I did end up allowing to have her kittens. I still have 2 and gave one to my grandmom, and even though I am grateful for her and her kids and love them dearly, I also see how many millions of kittens are being born every year and their fate is only to be killed and tossed like garbage.

KateyBaby
July 25th, 2009, 01:05 AM
It looks like you have gotten some great advice and links. I don't know how much I can add. For the record, I do not vaccinate cats that I know are pregnant or think might be pregnant. With that said, this situation does occur. I personally have not seen kittens that I know were harmed from the vaccination of the mother but that is the concern.

I hope that helps.

Thank you. :)

KateyBaby
July 25th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I'm sorry, I know you were trying to be responsible and then this happened :sad:. Stupid freakin vet :frustrated:.

:grouphug:

I know. That really makes me mad. And upset. :cry: I am going to be keeping an eye on her. I set up another place for her. So she can sleep un my room in her own space or out here in the living room. Either room, I can see her when I am in them. Shes just been resting most of the day. Basically like the last few days.

She was a little disappointed when she didnt get her two treats while the dog got his medicine though (She gets two treats every morning and evening when our dog Otis gets his medicine. Comes in the kitchen and stands up on her hind legs on the side of the counter waiting. lol)...Must make atrip to the store tomorrow. That is when we will be getting her some new food. Going to try the wet food. Maybe even mix it with dry. I will keep you all posted. Probably in a new thread though. Thank you all again for your support and advice!

Love4himies
July 25th, 2009, 06:53 AM
How is she this morning? :grouphug:

lUvMyLaB<3
July 25th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Did you bring a stool sample? You said he checked for rabies and worms.. Do you know how? Sounds kinda wierd to me that he would tell you he checked for things.. That is too bad too, I don't know a vet that would vaccinate a cat at a pregnancy check up.. Good luck and I hope that it all works out!

lUvMyLaB<3
July 25th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Can you look at your receipt and tell us what vaccine he used? Usually they list it, especially with rabies, then maybe some of the smart people here could search and tell you the possible things for a pregnant cat?

14+kitties
July 25th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Did you bring a stool sample? You said he checked for rabies and worms.. Do you know how? Sounds kinda wierd to me that he would tell you he checked for things.. That is too bad too, I don't know a vet that would vaccinate a cat at a pregnancy check up.. Good luck and I hope that it all works out!

Why would a vet check an indoor cat for rabies in the first place? The cat supposedly only got out once and that was a month or more ago. If she had rabies it would have manifested well before now........
Checking for worms beside the little "rice" normally requires a stool sample. Convenient that kitty had one between the time the appt was made at 830 in the morn and 1130 for appt. Things just don't add up. :shrug:

sugarcatmom
July 25th, 2009, 03:13 PM
You said he checked for rabies and worms.. Do you know how? Sounds kinda wierd to me that he would tell you he checked for things..

Good point! I too would like to know how he "checked" for rabies in particular, since the only way it's done in animals is either a post-mortem analysis of brain tissue, or through a 10 day quarantine.

lUvMyLaB<3
July 25th, 2009, 07:53 PM
yes that is what I was thinking, sounds odd to me.. "checking" for rabies? never heard of that, and worms need a stool sample, that and I don't think there are many vets that would vaccinate.. if he can feel the babies it tells you how far along she is, early on they will usually do an x-ray.. Would be good if she would answer and explain instead of leaving me scratching my head..

KateyBaby
July 25th, 2009, 08:24 PM
then maybe some of the smart people here

Maybe som of the smart people? So does that make me dumb or something?? Sorry but thats what I got out of that post.

KateyBaby
July 25th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Exam/with vaccinations $24.00
Initial Set Up $3.00
FIV/FeLV Test/Feline; neg/neg $38.40
Fecal Floatation $15.00
Intestinal Parasite Negative
Bio-Hazardous Waste Fee $2.00
Nail Trim-Dr. $0.00
Feline Leukemia Vaccination $18.00
FVRCPC Vaccination $18.00
Rabies Vaccination $11.00
collars,leashes,supplies; pet carrier $9.00

Cash payment ($139.03)

Sub-Total: $138.40
Tax: $0.63
Total: $139.03
Payments: ($139.03)

Ending Balance: 0.00

Winston
July 25th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Kateybaby how is she tonight? Is she still sleeping lots? Mine sleep quite a bit after vaccines?? How did you make out with the food? Any luck?

I guess it doesnt really matter at this point about the vaccines but to put your mind to rest you could call and ask them to go over the bill and what they charged you for..

Cindy

KateyBaby
July 25th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Why would a vet check an indoor cat for rabies in the first place? The cat supposedly only got out once and that was a month or more ago. If she had rabies it would have manifested well before now........
Checking for worms beside the little "rice" normally requires a stool sample. Convenient that kitty had one between the time the appt was made at 830 in the morn and 1130 for appt. Things just don't add up. :shrug:

You are basically calling me a liar and it's wrong. To you, thinsg dont add up. My husband called to make the appt at 8:30. The appointment was made for 11:30. We got her there early and were called back around 11:20. He came in, checked her out and said that he was going to do these tests. So when the nurse came back in she asked if we minded leaving her there because he was going on lunch (Im assuming this is because it was almost noon) and she should be done by 3:00. So we left her there. So no, I didnt being a stool sample. (I didnt know I was supposed to...but I wasnt told that I should have anyway) Maybe he checked her for rabies because she was a stray when we got her. I dont know why he checked her for rabies if she has been an indoor cat most of her life. But that is what he did. Maybe because it was her first time going to a vet. Yes, go ahead and bash me for not taking her sooner.

I dont know much about vets. But that does not make me dumb and a liar just because I am telling you all everything that happened. I am telling excatly how it happened. And I do not lie.

KateyBaby
July 25th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Kateybaby how is she tonight? Is she still sleeping lots? Mine sleep quite a bit after vaccines?? How did you make out with the food? Any luck?

I guess it doesnt really matter at this point about the vaccines but to put your mind to rest you could call and ask them to go over the bill and what they charged you for..

Cindy

She has been sleeping the majority of the day. Do they put the vaccines in their hind legs? She has been walking a little funny when she has gotten up. If she is still walking funny, I am calling the vet Monday.

We went to WalMart today and got her two new bags of treats. Got her Special Kitty Kitten Treats. She wont eat them...Friskies Party Mix, she likes those, but they are for cats. The food we got her Whiskas Kitten With "Crunchy Meaty Nuggets" Havent tried to get her to eat that yet. Got that just in case she still doesnt want the wet food. Also got her two cans of Special Kitty Starters to see if she would eat that. And the Whiskas Choice Cuts Poultry Pack. I mixed that one (Turkey in Gravy) with her regular food and she ate some of it. If she doesnt want the wet food, I have the dry kitten food for her.

But basically she has been sleeping all day. Shes eating her regular dry food right now..

KateyBaby
July 25th, 2009, 08:52 PM
yes that is what I was thinking, sounds odd to me.. "checking" for rabies? never heard of that, and worms need a stool sample, that and I don't think there are many vets that would vaccinate.. if he can feel the babies it tells you how far along she is, early on they will usually do an x-ray.. Would be good if she would answer and explain instead of leaving me scratching my head..

My husband just informed me that she wasnt TESTED for rabies. She was just vaccinated for rabies because she got outside and was with another cat and we dont know what that other cat has. So my mistake if I stated that she was tested. Sorry about that.

KateyBaby
July 25th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Checked for feline leukemia (sp?), rabies, worms, etc. Perfectly healthy.

Ok so I definately said checked for rabies. I am very sorry. I am not good with doctors and apparently vets either. I dont do good with remembering things. You all can call me crazy because I made a mistake as far as remembering what he said. I dont care. I know. But I am most definately not a liar.

I always bring people with me when I go to a doctor, or take my son. Otherwise, as soon as I come out, I forget what they said. I sometimes try to write it down. I am sorry for my mistake. She was not checked for rabies. Only vaccinated for them. and as my husband said it was because she got out and was with another cat that we dont know what he carries. Again, sorry for my mistake on the words.

14+kitties
July 25th, 2009, 09:08 PM
You are basically calling me a liar and it's wrong. To you, thinsg dont add up. My husband called to make the appt at 8:30. The appointment was made for 11:30. We got her there early and were called back around 11:20. He came in, checked her out and said that he was going to do these tests. So when the nurse came back in she asked if we minded leaving her there because he was going on lunch (Im assuming this is because it was almost noon) and she should be done by 3:00. So we left her there. So no, I didnt being a stool sample. (I didnt know I was supposed to...but I wasnt told that I should have anyway) Maybe he checked her for rabies because she was a stray when we got her. I dont know why he checked her for rabies if she has been an indoor cat most of her life. But that is what he did. Maybe because it was her first time going to a vet. Yes, go ahead and bash me for not taking her sooner.

I dont know much about vets. But that does not make me dumb and a liar just because I am telling you all everything that happened. I am telling excatly how it happened. And I do not lie.

Sorry you feel that way. I was just trying to get things straight in my head and I am sorry things just weren't adding up. :shrug: No sense in bashing you for not taking her in sooner. So he probably just gave her a pill for worms assuming she had them. He didn't actually check for worms. Oh, just checked back. They did do a fecal. Mmm, and it was negative. Lucky girl. Very unusual for a stray kitten who had never been to a vet. And no, I am not calling you a liar. Just saying you are very fortunate. The poor baby did not need any more crap put in her system after all the other stuff that he did.

She has been sleeping the majority of the day. Do they put the vaccines in their hind legs? She has been walking a little funny when she has gotten up. If she is still walking funny, I am calling the vet Monday.

We went to WalMart today and got her two new bags of treats. Got her Special Kitty Kitten Treats. She wont eat them...Friskies Party Mix, she likes those, but they are for cats. The food we got her Whiskas Kitten With "Crunchy Meaty Nuggets" Havent tried to get her to eat that yet. Got that just in case she still doesnt want the wet food. Also got her two cans of Special Kitty Starters to see if she would eat that. And the Whiskas Choice Cuts Poultry Pack. I mixed that one (Turkey in Gravy) with her regular food and she ate some of it. If she doesnt want the wet food, I have the dry kitten food for her.

But basically she has been sleeping all day. Shes eating her regular dry food right now..

Please keep an eye on the leg. If it gets worse get her to a vet asap. Preferably not the same one.
Could you try her on better food than Special Kitty? It is basically crap in a can. Something grain/corn free with no by products is essential for cat's health. Especially a pregnant one. Wellness, Nature's Balance, Merrick, Natural Instinct, etc. You find them at pet stores like Global, Pet Valu, etc.

Rottielover
July 25th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I thought to check for rabies the animal has to be dead ?? did something change? Well I hope she is doing better

KateyBaby
July 25th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Sorry you feel that way. I was just trying to get things straight in my head and I am sorry things just weren't adding up. :shrug: No sense in bashing you for not taking her in sooner. So he probably just gave her a pill for worms assuming she had them. He didn't actually check for worms.

Please keep an eye on the leg. If it gets worse get her to a vet asap. Preferably not the same one.
Could you try her on better food than Special Kitty? It is basically crap in a can. Something grain/corn free with no by products is essential for cat's health. Especially a pregnant one. Wellness, Nature's Balance, Merrick, Natural Instinct, etc. You find them at pet stores like Global, Pet Valu, etc.

I will go ahead and take the Special Kitty cans back. I will convince my hubby into taking me to the pet store tomorrow. We will look for more for her. So the other stuff I got was fine right? And they do end up giving the shots in the legs? I am keeping an eye on her.

KateyBaby
July 25th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I thought to check for rabies the animal has to be dead ?? did something change? Well I hope she is doing better

Hey, I corrected myself. I made a mistake. My husband told me they didnt check her for rabies. Just vaccinated. Sorry about that.

14+kitties
July 25th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I will go ahead and take the Special Kitty cans back. I will convince my hubby into taking me to the pet store tomorrow. We will look for more for her. So the other stuff I got was fine right? And they do end up giving the shots in the legs? I am keeping an eye on her.

Did you read the site that Sugarcatmom recommended you read? It explains why cats should not be eating any dry food. Cats are carnivors. They do not need any grains or corn in their diet. We can't digest corn. How can we expect an animal to be able to? If they can't digest it then what good is it doing them? Cats need meat, plain and simple. Not kibble that is unhealthy for them. Before going to buy something else please take the time to go through the site. Bookmark it for future reading. It has got some fantastic information on it. :thumbs up

http://www.catinfo.org/

lUvMyLaB<3
July 25th, 2009, 09:34 PM
By smart people I meant the people I have met on here that know more about pets, and cats than I ever have, and I know a bit.. and some people here can find links for EVERYTHING.. that is what I meant by smart people, so relax a bit..

Love4himies
July 25th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Katebaby: read the labels of the food you have and think whether a carnivore should be fed this crap. Pet food manuafacturers produce junk to make a profit, they really don't care about your kitty like you do.

Wellness is a great food that should be readily available in the States (pet food stores only, not grocery stores). Buy the larger cans so it is cheaper for you. Supplement her with some raw meat (chicken) and she will do just fine.

Nursing queens should only eat canned food so they get enough water to produce milk for their babies. If they eat kibble they may not produce milk and the kittens wills starve.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Winston
July 25th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Kateybaby see if you hubby will take you to a pet store and see what you can get her in a better quality food. There are a ton of things to learn about better feeding so just take it one step at a time. There a lots of choices and see if you can find one she likes..

Lots of reading and Sugarcatmom has some awesome links for info :thumbs up

KateyBaby
July 25th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I will be asking him to take me. I just wish I had my car fixed. Id have gone earlier. Dang it. Anyway, I will read that site. I dont remember which ones I read. Since there have been many links posted to me. (thanks) They have been helpful so far. And sorry for freaking out about the smart people comment. lol.

Maybe I will have my sister come with me to the pet store tomorrow. Since she went to be a veterinary assistant..Why she chooses to work at a bowling alley instead of doing something that would benefit many animals and people is beyond me..anyway, thanks for all your advice. It really has been helpful.

lUvMyLaB<3
July 26th, 2009, 08:54 AM
If she had been out with a cat, a rabies vacc wont to anything.. it is to prevent future threats. Your receipt says they did a fecal.. that means they needed poop. If she is an indoor cat, the rabies vacc was not worth it when she is pregnant, and can wait until her spay appointment. Confusing why a vet did things this way. Also, you should have a certificate with the rabies vacc. and on there it should have the name of the vaccination used, that is the name I am referring to if you can post, and we can see what the possible effects are, and if possible the names of the other vaccine used too. Do you know what kind of test they did for the FIV?

Melinda
July 26th, 2009, 01:00 PM
way back when I took a stray cat in to be checked out, my vet inserted this little spoon thingy into her ummm "butt".....extracted some poop and tested it for parasites...do they still do that? and would that have been how they checked her cat??

sugarcatmom
July 26th, 2009, 07:16 PM
way back when I took a stray cat in to be checked out, my vet inserted this little spoon thingy into her ummm "butt".....extracted some poop and tested it for parasites...do they still do that? and would that have been how they checked her cat??

Yup, there is a tool called a fecal loop or wand that can be inserted into the rectum to get a poop sample. A gloved finger is another method :eek:. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/fecal-examination-in-dogs/page1.aspx

growler~GateKeeper
July 26th, 2009, 09:55 PM

She's in Florida the rabies vaccine would be manditory, however the vet should waited until the kittens were weaned

and worms need a stool sample

It doesn't neccesarily have to be brought in by you

Yes they do, handy little tool :yuck:

When the vet checks temperature they sometimes will get a poop sample that way too.

KateyBaby
July 26th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Proud to say that today Deah was MUCH better and like herself. Walking around more, actually jumping up onto the couch and other things, and just all in all, doing great.

She is no longer walking funny with her hind legs.

I also recounted the days from when she got out and if she goes a full 63 days, she is due August 27th. Not the 28th.

lUvMyLaB<3
July 27th, 2009, 07:59 PM
dont worry, it could be 60. or 64, you just have to watch. I understand the scoop, however I know my vet would not do that on a pregnant cat.. My concerns are the vet, If these are the things that happened, I don't like him/ her..

KateyBaby
August 30th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I have posted a new thread about the kittens and Deah :)