Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to handle aggressive dog situation

jikopia
July 22nd, 2009, 02:49 PM
I live in a town with a pop of about 14000. We have 3 stray dogs and the dogcatcher after literally 10's of calls from several people says "It is not my job to catch dogs, you catch them and bring them in" (yes seriously have it on voicemail) anyway, while my mother was walking her dachtsund (sp) the beagle looking dog chased after her dog who is named Charlie. Now my mother being of age couldn't keep her grip on charlie and he got just close enough to one of her neighbors very very aggressive and mean chained dogs who grabbed charlie and tossed him into range of the other chained dog and both began attacking him the whole time the owner is sitting on his porch laughing. By some miracle Charlie got free with a few wounds and took off scared out of his mind im sure (still looking for him) These chained dogs will attack anyone or anything that gets near them but the city says it is not their business. We are at a loss on how to handle this situation because these dogs can reach past the sidewalk on their chains and you just CANNOT walk on this particular road unless you have a deathwish. These dogs even try to attack the postal carrier and still the city does nothing because they are chained.

Tundra_Queen
July 22nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Try to find out what exactly is the dog catcher's job. It must be written down somewhere in the town's bylaws or hiring contracts? there must also be bylaws about how long a leash u can walk your dog on...chained dogs not being able to reach the sidewalk etc?

Go to the library and see if the laws are written down somewhere.

Also have u called the police? Have u called a lawyer? If u can't find out about bylaws, go talk to a reporter, they might have a listing of the bylaws.

I hope Charlie will be ok and I hope your mom didn't get hurt.

Debbie

adammo
July 22nd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Wow, that doesn't seem right at all. I don't have any advice other than talking to local government representatives. I'm not sure where you live, but sometimes it actually does help to contact your local MLA.

Good luck and be safe!!

luckypenny
July 22nd, 2009, 04:29 PM
Can you, and other concerned neighbors, go to the next city councelors' meeting and make a complaint there? Sometimes making some noise in person gets ppl off their butts a little faster. In addition, how about filing a complaint with the police department? Enforcing laws ought to be their responsibility, no?

In the meantime, tell your mother to please choose another route for safety's sake.

NoahGrey
July 22nd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Odd that your Animal Control would say that about dogs that were acting in an aggressive manner towards members of the public and other animals. One of the duties of an Animal Control Officer is to protect and keep their comminity safe, when it comes to the four legged kind

I also have to mention that dogcatcher is a term that people who work in the AC find aragant. We do alot more then "catch" dogs.

how about filing a complaint with the police department? Enforcing laws ought to be their responsibility, no?

Alot of police departments will transfer a call like this to the shelter that does animal related bylaws, which usually is Animal Control. Police don't usually get involved in situations like these.

ACO22

chico2
July 22nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
What I understand Charlie(the Dachshund) is still missing,I hope your mom has found him by now.
I find it really strange,a "dog-catcher"or HS will not at least reprimand the man who has dogs chained to the point they can attack people and other dogs:confused:
I hope the poor little dog has been found,he probably was terrified:sad:

catlover2
July 24th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I think having the evidence of these 2 chained dogs trying to attack someone walking on the sidewalk would go a long way to getting some action taken. You might have to "stage" it by getting someone or letter carrier walk by & take a video with a cell phone or digital camera. If authorities, police, by-law officers, newspaper reporter see the evidence, I'm sure something will get done to correct this situation. People must be able to walk on a sidewalk without getting attacked!

lUvMyLaB<3
July 25th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I lived in a town with a population of 10, my family was 5 of them... How it was there, was there was a 'pound' at the vet at a town near by, she handles the complaints and would check something out. A dangerous dog would be dealt with by the RCMP. I have no dea where you live, but I am guessing your town does not have police? And perhaps the 'dog catcher' is something like we dealt with.. Maybe a vet, or something providing shelter to stray animals.

I don't know where you are, is it Canada? Call your RM office and talk to them. If the dogs are truly dangerous then you should call the RCMP and ask how to proceed.

ACO22, in some places, like where I have live, we don't have animal control, and it is the police that deal with animal by law issues. In the country and any small rural manitoba town, it is the RCMP that deals with it. So the police probably are the right people to call, if the town has local police, then it would be them, if they don't have police, it would be RCMP.

himanshu
July 25th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Put most of this on video and reference it to how it violates bylaws or causes a nuisance.

Start legal proceedings in a civil court for an injunction to be put against these dogs. Also, have a small fine + court costs as part of the claim for the amount of frustration you've been put through.

Someone having legal proceedings started against them in a civil court convinces people of how to properly obey the law.