Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need help with introductions

Tundra_Queen
July 22nd, 2009, 10:10 AM
Hi
I am a bit stumped about what happened this morning between Darby and O'Shawnnessey.

I have been keeping Darby in the bathroom and the other cats have been laying on the outside of the door, not growling, well except for Willie doing the occassional hiss.

I have put the gates up and then opened the door so they can see each other and that went well.

Yesterday I let O'Shawnnessey into our bedroom twice with Darby and it went ok. There was no growling or hissing. I chose OS because he wants to be friends with everyone, he's my sweet boy!

This morning I carried OS in, thru the bathroom way this time; not thru the hall door like before.

I put OS down away from Darby so she could get use to OS being there, though she saw him in my arms. I stopped for her to make sure she saw OS before I continued on into the bedroom.
(Our bedroom has a sitting room, that use to be a bedroom which u walk thru into our bedroom, and there is a door into the main upstairs bathroom.) So she saw him in my arms.

I put OS down and Darby came right up to him and they were nose to nose. That lasted a couple of seconds, no hisses or growling. I was actually surprised that Darby came up right away without hesitation. Then she went up to him and did the nose thing again, then she backed up and smacked him about3 times in the face and poor OS ran under the couch in our room with Darby chasing him. I felt so bad for my poor sweet boy! Darby had half herself under the couch trying to get him or something? But she wasn't growling or hissing. OS came out and she ran after him again so he retreated under the couch and I put Darby back in the bathroom.

I was so surprised that this happened without any hissing or warning or change of body language that I could see.

My question is now what do I do? I have 2 other cats I haven't even tried to introduce yet. Do I let OS and Mirabelle go in together or keep doing one cat at a time?

When I introduced OS and Mirabelle to Willie I introduced them both at the same time as they were just kittens at the time and there was just a bit of hissing.

Needless to say I'm a bit upset about Darby being the bully if that is what she was doing.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Debbie

Winston
July 22nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
Maybe try this because it works for me! sounds crazy but it does!

Next intro take some baby powder rub it in your hands and gently rub each kitty down with it. The biggest problem my vet told me was that cats go by scent..so if one smells different they react. So each time I take one or the other to the vet I bring them home and do the baby powder thing because they smell like the vets office, the needles, the techs etc. My two will fight if I dont...not that it matters really cause they are getting a bit older and doing it less ...mine are brother and sister and that apparently doesnt matter its all in the nose! try it it may work for you! :thumbs up

Cindy

Love4himies
July 22nd, 2009, 10:20 AM
What was the posture of Princess Darby? Was she fluffed, ears back? Tail twitching as if irritated?

It is rare that there wouldn't be any hisses at first, that is usually the first sign that there is going to be an altercation.

(Unless you are my :rip: Snowball, who would charge on sight, but there was no mistaking it was to be a vicious attack).

14+kitties
July 22nd, 2009, 10:23 AM
You mentioned yesterday that you put OS in with Darby. That went ok then you put the baby gates up so they could see everybody. It could simply be sensory overload. Try taking OS out and just use the baby gates for a few days. See how that goes.
Was OS near Tegan before you took him in this time? Were you? It could be one of you or both could have smelled strongly of Tegan - a smell she isn't used to.
Have you checked out any sites for introducing cats? I know SCM has listed a site she likes quite often. I love this one ....

http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management

There is lots of good reading in there.
IMO maybe just slow down a little. No rushing.

Tundra_Queen
July 22nd, 2009, 10:39 AM
You mentioned yesterday that you put OS in with Darby. That went ok then you put the baby gates up so they could see everybody. It could simply be sensory overload. Try taking OS out and just use the baby gates for a few days. See how that goes.
Was OS near Tegan before you took him in this time? Were you? It could be one of you or both could have smelled strongly of Tegan - a smell she isn't used to.
Have you checked out any sites for introducing cats? I know SCM has listed a site she likes quite often. I love this one ....

http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management

There is lots of good reading in there.
IMO maybe just slow down a little. No rushing.

I put OS in with Darby first just for a few minutes, then I took him out and closed the hall door so she couldn't see anyone, only me.

Whenever OS has been in the room with Darby I have been there too and the hall door is closed so she can't see any of the other cats.

Darby likes Tegan, or I think she does as she has touched noses with her and not hisses or growled.She met Tegan Friday night as i let Darby out for a while before I go to bed and Tegan sleeps in the sitting room off our bedroom.

I was thinking of moving Darby out of the bathroom and into the cat's room and just leaving the gates up all the time so she can watch the other cats and look out the windows. I'll just have to move the bed away from the door so she can't jump over the gates. *S*

Thanks for the link I will check it out.

Debbie

Tundra_Queen
July 22nd, 2009, 10:50 AM
What was the posture of Princess Darby? Was she fluffed, ears back? Tail twitching as if irritated?

It is rare that there wouldn't be any hisses at first, that is usually the first sign that there is going to be an altercation.

(Unless you are my :rip: Snowball, who would charge on sight, but there was no mistaking it was to be a vicious attack).

She just looked noraml. I was staying very close to them so I could make sure I could see any of the change of posture or warning signs and I didn't see anything. Her ears were the same, no twitching tail,no fur sticking up, no back up. Now I can't see if her eyes were dilated, but everything looked normal. I was also thinking if chasing was her way of playing maybe?

My friends said that a little black cat would come over and "play" with darby when she was hanging around my friends house. And she thought they were playing. I will ask her what the playing was like.

Thanks so much for your help.

Debbie

Love4himies
July 22nd, 2009, 11:05 AM
I would keep a close eye on them, but it doesn't sound like a fight to me :shrug:. Maybe she is like Rose, who is so social and wants to play with all cats. She may not have read any aggressive signs on OS so thought it was safe to assume play with him.

babymomma
July 22nd, 2009, 11:46 AM
Im obviously not cat experianced, but it sounds to me like she was trying to play, and OS didnt want any of it from the newbie yet? Maybe he was a little uneasy about her anyways, being new and all and just really wasnt ready to be playing like that:shrug:

Good lluck with the intros!

Tundra_Queen
July 22nd, 2009, 01:20 PM
I would keep a close eye on them, but it doesn't sound like a fight to me :shrug:. Maybe she is like Rose, who is so social and wants to play with all cats. She may not have read any aggressive signs on OS so thought it was safe to assume play with him.

Does Rose slap other kitties too? I've only had my 3 cats, so still don't know what other cats might behave like.. still a cat beginner.:)

Well if slapping OS is social, then YUP she is very social. :laughing: Good thing she is declawed. Maybe I'm just worrying too much. That sure seemed like very rough play though.

Im obviously not cat experianced, but it sounds to me like she was trying to play, and OS didnt want any of it from the newbie yet? Maybe he was a little uneasy about her anyways, being new and all and just really wasnt ready to be playing like that:shrug:

Good luck with the intros!

Thanks Babymomma. I'm not too experience with cats either. I know what i've read, but seems like there are many different ways of cts to act. I'll just take it slow and hope for the best. :)

Debbie

ancientgirl
July 22nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
I see this daily. Vlad will go up to Czari, they will touch noses, all is well in the world. A few seconds later, they touch noses again, and Czari has a hissy fit and swats at Vlad.

Czari goes up to Kiska, they touch noses, all is well in the world, a few seconds later they start swatting at each other and Czari starts to chase after Kiska swatting at her.

Maks will touch noses with Oksana, and all is well in the world, then in the blink of an eye, Oksana whacks Maks on the head, Maks looks confused, looks at me, looks back at Oksana, who's giving him the evil eye, then she high tails it out of there.

:laughing: I have no clue what it means, but they don't seem to hold it against each other.:shrug:

Tundra_Queen
July 23rd, 2009, 04:29 AM
I see this daily. Vlad will go up to Czari, they will touch noses, all is well in the world. A few seconds later, they touch noses again, and Czari has a hissy fit and swats at Vlad.

Czari goes up to Kiska, they touch noses, all is well in the world, a few seconds later they start swatting at each other and Czari starts to chase after Kiska swatting at her.

Maks will touch noses with Oksana, and all is well in the world, then in the blink of an eye, Oksana whacks Maks on the head, Maks looks confused, looks at me, looks back at Oksana, who's giving him the evil eye, then she high tails it out of there.

:laughing: I have no clue what it means, but they don't seem to hold it against each other.:shrug:

Well now u have me really worried!! :laughing::laughing:

Maybe they are trying to give each other high fives and just missed! :laughing::laughing:

I brought O'Shawnnessey into the room later tonight and closed the hall door so it was just OS and Darby. OS moved very very slowly, so did Darby. they kept looking at me and I just told them it was ok. They touched noses and Darby walked over beside me and I gave her a pet and told her she was a good girl. Then Darby just basically ignored OS and paid attention to me. *L* No growling or smacking. They both just walked around the bedroom. OS was more nervous then Darby was. Darby just wanted to get lovins from me.

Debbie

Love4himies
July 23rd, 2009, 06:45 AM
Does Rose slap other kitties too? I've only had my 3 cats, so still don't know what other cats might behave like.. still a cat beginner.:)

Oh yes, she will even brave patting me with her paw when she wants to play.

Well if slapping OS is social, then YUP she is very social. :laughing: Good thing she is declawed. Maybe I'm just worrying too much. That sure seemed like very rough play though.

Thanks Babymomma. I'm not too experience with cats either. I know what i've read, but seems like there are many different ways of cts to act. I'll just take it slow and hope for the best. :)

Debbie

Yes, take it slow is the safest way to ensure a successful intro.

Love4himies
July 23rd, 2009, 06:49 AM
A hiss is not necessarily an aggressive act. Sweet Pea will hiss at Jasper one second, then ask for kisses the next :confused:. I think a hiss may mean, "you are in my personal space right now and I don't want you so close right now."

There is no missing a fight between cats, there is normally a lot of screaming and fur flying.

Tundra_Queen
July 23rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
A hiss is not necessarily an aggressive act. Sweet Pea will hiss at Jasper one second, then ask for kisses the next :confused:. I think a hiss may mean, "you are in my personal space right now and I don't want you so close right now."

There is no missing a fight between cats, there is normally a lot of screaming and fur flying.

Thanks L4H. I sort of figured Willie was hissing because of personal space, but I didn't know if the majority of cats hissed for that reason too.

Willie always seems to hiss if the "kids" walk by him while waiting for food, at the patio door when he wants his old space, on his space on the couch. Or when they first all go into the porch. The kids only squeal if Willie sits on them during play. he out weighs them by quite a bit! :laughing:

Debbie

Tundra_Queen
July 24th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I brought Mirabelle into the bedroom tonight to meet Darby. This was their first meeting.

I saw Mirabelle eating Darby's food in the bedroom and took the food away from her. Then I saw Mirabelle in the bathroom in the cat cage and realized the one in the bedroom WAS DARBY!:laughing::laughing: Oh boy, am I'm going to have fun telling these two apart when everyone is together....LMBO

I had put the food in the bedroom this morning cause Darby wasn't eating much at all and I was getting worried. I finally figured out that because she loves being around me so much and always seem to like to have a paw on me etc that maybe she didn't want to go into the bathroom to eat. I had noticed that when I went into the bathroom she would follow and then eat a bit but wouldn't stay long. And yep, since I did that she has been eating more.

Darby hissed at Mirabelle and swatted her and Mirabelle swatted back but that was all. Mirabelle then stepped back and Darby went and laid down for a bit. Then Darby got up and went over in Mirabelle's direction and I gave them some treats and there was no hissing. Mirabelle was only in the room for a short period of time, but it seemed to have gone pretty well.

Debbie