Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I Need Small Breed Advice....

Carly1236
August 15th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Hi all...

I am looking to adopt or buy a small breed dog and I need some advicxe as to what breed would be best for my lifestyle/living arrangements.

I live in downtown Toronto in a 700sq ft. 1 bedroom apartment. I work full time but spend much of my time off work at home. Although I don't have a fenced yard, I do walk often so regular exercise shouldn't be a problem. I am an experienced dog owner but have only owned large breeds in the past (doberman, lab). I have one friendly indoor cat.

I was considering a pug but I want to be sure that I select a breed that is right for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Carly

Luba
August 15th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Hi, great that you wanna adopt!

What about a middle aged dog perhaps a poodle??
There's one waiting at the Toronto Humane Society right NOW!!
The adoption fee is $50 and this dog needs some walks and a good nutritious food base! What a cutie patootie don't u think?
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6380

Carly1236
August 15th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Thanks!

Poor little guy looks like he needs a good grooming, what a cutie! Funny, I was looking at the THS website and I didn't see him.
I got my cat from THS and I would really prefer to adopt, there are way too many dogs without good homes for me to think about going to a breeder right now.

Are poodles ok for apartments?

Thanks for your help!

Luba
August 15th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Sure poodles make great apt dogs! 'SOME' can be yappy! BUT I know A LOT of people who have them in apts. They're super little dogs, very smart, loyal and love to cuddle and sit on the sofa with you.

You gonna go check him out? That would be GREAT!!!

Lucky Rescue
August 15th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Poodles are great! BUT, they are watchdogs, and will bark to alert you to noises, which can be a problem in an apt where people come and go a lot.

Pugs are very good housedogs, as are Boston Terriers.

Of course, a nice little mixed breed would be wonderful too!:)

Lucky Rescue
August 15th, 2004, 10:42 PM
What about this cute little Boston mix, who is looking for a quiet home:

ADORABLE!!

Rocky (http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=3020845&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=41201f5018d311de-app4&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=)

glasslass
August 16th, 2004, 01:59 AM
Poodles are great in an apartment. They love to run in circles having little "happies" and can get lots of exercise indoors. You do have to enjoy grooming or have it done regularly. No shedding! They don't like being left alone long periods of time. Velcro dogs! :D