-->

EI paying for education

dollface
July 22nd, 2009, 12:07 AM
The school of your choice(s) must be:
-MTCU registered
-Not required to registered
-Exempt from registration

Does anyone know why they restrict the schools to Colleges and not Universities? Do you think they would make an exception if the program was at a University but could be finished in 1-2 years and is about the same cost if taken at a College but has the credentials at a University level?

I want to go to Ryerson University for Publishing and it is MTCU registered but it's not a College :frustrated:

Should I just settle for whatever school they want to pay for or try and find my own way to pay for the school I want to go to?

CearaQC
July 22nd, 2009, 07:51 AM
Depends. What kind of coursework are you looking to take?

Trades and service jobs won't go away like office and manufacturing jobs. Society always needs tradesfolk and skilled services like electricians, carpenters, cooks, plumbers, hairdressers, mechanics, medical field, etc.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but the way things are going now it's going to be really hard for general academia graduates to get jobs. When a good position opens up in a city there will be hundreds of people applying for the same. So it's better to learn a skill that can be used right away.

Once I saw in the local paper a couple of years ago a job advert asking for a college grad with a business degree and they were only offering $9 an hour. That's an insult really to someone who might be in debt from student loans and worked so hard to achieve a degree.

Love4himies
July 22nd, 2009, 07:58 AM
I think it is because they paying you to get training for a job, not a white collar career. Big difference in the fees between a college and university and the time to obtain a degree vs a diploma.

If EI is paying you and/or your fees, take what you can get, most people have to pay for their education.

TacoGrl
July 22nd, 2009, 08:12 AM
Have you researched Publishing? I assume you are talking about desktop publishing? There are hundreds of qualified folks out of work in this field already (including myself), so yes, a trade would be better now days. :shrug:

I would actually like to be a carpenter, but...too old...don't qualify for EI (last job was commission-based) and too many debts to go to school on student loan. If you are lucky enough to get into an EI program, choose wisely...go talk to people who work in the field and their bosses to get a real feel for the career.

As for university over college, having dealt with EI in the past, they are not very flexible...they won't help you out if they deem you employable...if you have education already, they won't pay for you to take another field of study...even if it would help you not go back to EI...that unfortunately is the box our government lives in...reactive instead of proactive. :shrug:

Now, having said that, there are courses out there that are EI sponsored that you could sneak in the backdoor if you are a woman and under 35. Things like carpentry, medical, welding, electrical, etc...good paying jobs and not necessarily dirty either if you use your skills wisely. ;)

dollface
July 22nd, 2009, 11:46 PM
Depends. What kind of coursework are you looking to take?

Copy editing aka manuscript editing.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but the way things are going now it's going to be really hard for general academia graduates to get jobs.

Ya my cousin just graduated and she is having a helluva time as well. :sad:

dollface
July 22nd, 2009, 11:57 PM
I think it is because they paying you to get training for a job, not a white collar career. Big difference in the fees between a college and university and the time to obtain a degree vs a diploma.

If EI is paying you and/or your fees, take what you can get, most people have to pay for their education.

See that's the thing. The program at Ryerson U is about the same as what Humber & Centennial would cost, it is not a degree either it's a diploma/certificate and finished in 1-2 years.

I was originally going to try to pay for it myself but I just don't have the funds at the moment. I was thinking of getting a student loan or OSAP but not sure if I would qualify with the debt I'm already in that is slowly catching up to me...

Guess it will come down to what EI says.

dollface
July 23rd, 2009, 12:07 AM
Have you researched Publishing? I assume you are talking about desktop publishing? There are hundreds of qualified folks out of work in this field already (including myself), so yes, a trade would be better now days. :shrug:

I would actually like to be a carpenter, but...too old...don't qualify for EI (last job was commission-based) and too many debts to go to school on student loan. If you are lucky enough to get into an EI program, choose wisely...go talk to people who work in the field and their bosses to get a real feel for the career.

As for university over college, having dealt with EI in the past, they are not very flexible...they won't help you out if they deem you employable...if you have education already, they won't pay for you to take another field of study...even if it would help you not go back to EI...that unfortunately is the box our government lives in...reactive instead of proactive. :shrug:

Now, having said that, there are courses out there that are EI sponsored that you could sneak in the backdoor if you are a woman and under 35. Things like carpentry, medical, welding, electrical, etc...good paying jobs and not necessarily dirty either if you use your skills wisely. ;)

Would like to be a copy editor/manuscript editor for books or magazines and possibly for online publications. I have a background in web design as well.

I have just researched the schools right now. I just hate reading books that have typos and grammatical errors in them and there's nothing I can do to help fix it. Can you elaborate on how the Publishing industry is down? I just talked to a friend who has friends in the Publishing industry saying for online stuff they are constantly hiring. :shrug:

For my research homework for my Employment office appt we have to do an email/phone interview with teachers or employers of the profession that we are looking to learn so that will help considerably!

TacoGrl
July 23rd, 2009, 01:15 AM
Would like to be a copy editor/manuscript editor for books or magazines and possibly for online publications. I have a background in web design as well.

I have just researched the schools right now. I just hate reading books that have typos and grammatical errors in them and there's nothing I can do to help fix it. Can you elaborate on how the Publishing industry is down? I just talked to a friend who has friends in the Publishing industry saying for online stuff they are constantly hiring. :shrug:

For my research homework for my Employment office appt we have to do an email/phone interview with teachers or employers of the profession that we are looking to learn so that will help considerably!

It seems only the $12/hr shops/houses around here are hiring right now...the ones that are always hiring (don't really know about online-there are so many scams I don't really bother-I pick up the odd job by sending e-mails to department managers)...anything worth the education isn't...could be just our market though. :shrug: I am waiting to hear of a second interview with a high end real estate company to do marketing material and special events for (they combined two jobs, but it sounds fun), but they received hundreds of apps..at least I got an interview...good jobs don't come around much now days.

Phone interviews are ok, but I would still go by in person...better connections happen...you never know, you might luck upon someone to hire you. :)

dollface
July 23rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
I know in Toronto it is a big industry, but the newspapers aren't hiring.

Thanks for the advice TacoGrl! Esp from someone in the industry I'd like to go in to :)

And thank you to everyone else who posted! I have lots of work to do and will find out more on August 10th :)

TacoGrl
July 23rd, 2009, 01:18 PM
I just received news that I was unsuccessful because they were looking for someone with a Marketing Degree and publishing experience etc. even though I had a VERY similar position previously and would probably still be doing it if the company had not been sold... :frustrated:

I am finding a lot more folks out there are looking for degrees who will work for crappy wages because they are desperate...happens during recessions...then they scramble when things pick up and these folks go to greener pastures. :shrug:

Sorry to threadjack :o Just had to vent :rolleyes:

dollface
July 23rd, 2009, 02:04 PM
no worries!

It really is frustrating. I just applied for an entry level assistant editor job last week. No education or experience req'd. But I do realize that for some of the higher up jobs I will need a background degree in something but I hope to accomplish that later in life when I can. Ryerson Professors have informed me of this but they are the only school that doesn't require a transcript and would prefer if i did have a degree background but it's not required.

dollface
August 18th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Update: So found out Publishing isn't something the Gov't will probably pay for so c'mon economy, turn around so I can pay for it myself!